All the ETHANOL eaton guys...

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
my tuner told me e85 is really no benefit unless your making around 700hp.
105 octane, runs cooler, able to bump timing, and CHEAP.....don't see where there's not a benefit.
I will add to that. It runs WAY MORE consistent pass after pass. Especially with a heat soaked Eaton.

Just ask the guys at HPP in dallas. I am sure they can tell you all about the increase in numbers and performance gains for the corn oil...lol
What's funny is that HPP didn't even use or mess with E85 until I had switched and a buddy of mine that I helped switch went over there to dyno.

I was telling Manny about it and he said he never really messed with it. Now he is switching a lot of cars over.

SVT_BERTO

Established Member
Question: would you have to switch plugs in the winter and summer? I heard E85 needs more spark to ignite?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Question: would you have to switch plugs in the winter and summer? I heard E85 needs more spark to ignite?
I have been running NGK BR7EF's with gas and now E85. They work great with both.

Haven't really seen much difference in winter yet compared to summer.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member

I have been running NGK BR7EF's with gas and now E85. They work great with both.

Haven't really seen much difference in winter yet compared to summer.

You shouldn't need to change plugs, but I would have a seperate tune for each season if you drive it in the winter and want to still run the corn juice. Reason being is, they usually add more gasoline to the winter blend of E-85 which actually makes it more along the lines of E-70 due to the colder weather and needing more gasoline to help it fire easier in the winter.

When I switch I plan to have an E-85 tune, and E-98 tune, and a 93 octane tune for taking trips where E-85 might not be available. My car doesn't get driven in the winter, and if it did I would just run the 93 octane.

just my .02
Ken

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You shouldn't need to change plugs, but I would have a seperate tune for each season if you drive it in the winter and want to still run the corn juice. Reason being is, they usually add more gasoline to the winter blend of E-85 which actually makes it more along the lines of E-70 due to the colder weather and needing more gasoline to help it fire easier in the winter.

When I switch I plan to have an E-85 tune, and E-98 tune, and a 93 octane tune for taking trips where E-85 might not be available. My car doesn't get driven in the winter, and if it did I would just run the 93 octane.

just my .02
Ken
I know exactly what you are saying. But here in Dallas, I have not seen a change in the fuel to E-70. Erik has been testing the fuel here with a 100 mm graduated cylinder and it has always come up E-85.

It is easiy enough to make another tune for 93 octane if I want to. I do all my own tuning anyway. I don't drive it every day so it is easy for me to keep running the corn.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
whats the difference youll see if they change it to e70 winter blend...will it just be fatter or hows taht really work
Your A/F will go a little richer due to the Stoich being a little higher because there is more gasoline in the mix.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Would anything have to be done to our w/b`s due to the Stoich being different?
No. Your wideband reads Lambda so it will just show the A/F being a little rich if it does switch from E85 to E70.

I honestly don't think they are going to change the mixture to the winter blend here at all and I would doubt if they would in Florida.

It is very easy to test if you want to find out.

Here is a good way to check it with a tester for about $15

[ame=http://www.e85performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=689]QUICKFUEL e85 fuel composition tester - E85Performance.net - Discussion Forum for All E85 Car Owners[/ame]

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
I know exactly what you are saying. But here in Dallas, I have not seen a change in the fuel to E-70. Erik has been testing the fuel here with a 100 mm graduated cylinder and it has always come up E-85.

It is easiy enough to make another tune for 93 octane if I want to. I do all my own tuning anyway. I don't drive it every day so it is easy for me to keep running the corn.

Correct! They only places there should be a difference in the winter blend is in those areas subject to cold enough temperatures through the winter season to justify it. If winter temps are not subject to freezing temps in your area, there shouldn't be a change in blends.

KK

SVTDice

Established Member
So, I've been considering running E-85 In my Cobra, Its starting to get more popular local. So my question is. What all more do I need then what I have now ? I know I need Injectors. I'll probably go with 80's. Anything else? Pumps I'm thinking? If anybody could let me know. I would appreciate it! Thanks guys! ;-)

SVTDice

Established Member
Yeah, Sorry for bumping a old thread. I did not even notice it was so old it was not in The Distillery. Haha. Hopefully I get somebody to Help me fiqure out my way off to Corn burning!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
So, I've been considering running E-85 In my Cobra, Its starting to get more popular local. So my question is. What all more do I need then what I have now ? I know I need Injectors. I'll probably go with 80's. Anything else? Pumps I'm thinking? If anybody could let me know. I would appreciate it! Thanks guys! ;-)
There are many ways to go about it. All that is needed is more volume. About 30% more volume capacity at WOT is a good way to start.

80# injectors will work fine with your combo and you will need to upgrade your pumps. I would look into the Lethal Performance Budget Return Kit for your combo. It will provide plenty of fuel for your combo.

SVTDice

Established Member
There are many ways to go about it. All that is needed is more volume. About 30% more volume capacity at WOT is a good way to start.

80# injectors will work fine with your combo and you will need to upgrade your pumps. I would look into the Lethal Performance Budget Return Kit for your combo. It will provide plenty of fuel for your combo.

Thanks man, Funny you mention WOT. Considering I have a confession thread about me never doing WOT since I have owned the car. :shrug: I know, I'm still warming up to the car, But the main reason I'm looking into it is I like the fact that it runs quite alot cooler. Also is cleaner, And allows for more expansion later on (Boost, Timing, etc)

But thanks for your quick reply man!

03sm3341

Established Member
I've read through the post in this thread and theres really no info on the fuel lines. I know -8n lines would be prefered but are they a must? I'm running a ported eaton 2.76 upper only. twin gt's in a fore hat, 60's, modified fpdm and stock lines and rails. I also have a dry 100 shot of spray in the works. I've never really considerd corn before but lots of guys seem to have nothing but praises for the stuff. And since the cars getting tuned soon for the spray i'm wondering if i should do the switch. So will the stock lines and rails do the job????????

Users who are viewing this thread