Allright, where is the thermostat

metaman

Established Member
:shrug: I bought the Reische Thermostat and I am going to put it in tomorow when I change the coolant. Where is the thermostat?

s_x_i

Established Member
on the bottom right near the front.

Here - I found ya a picture...
210095_cobra_002_1.jpg

Last edited:
I always make a mess so I hate going down there. I always undo the two bolts that seal the housing together and boy does that coolant come rushing out.

Anyone else have a 'cleaner methods' of emptying out the coolant?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I always make a mess so I hate going down there. I always undo the two bolts that seal the housing together and boy does that coolant come rushing out.

Anyone else have a 'cleaner methods' of emptying out the coolant?

I make a mess too.I try to undo the bolts a little at a time and let the fluid go into my big oil pan.

TORQJNKY

I've not changed my OEM thermostat with my Reische Thermostat yet. Couldn't you pinch off the 3 big hoses going/coming to/from the thermostat housing to reduce the amount of coolant loss when you losen the two screws? They are pretty flexible and plyable. I've seen many posts about how much of a PITA it is to get the cooling system refilled and free of air after changing out the thermostat. Just a thought :shrug:.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I've not changed my OEM thermostat with my Reische Thermostat yet. Couldn't you pinch off the 3 big hoses going/coming to/from the thermostat housing to reduce the amount of coolant loss when you losen the two screws? They are pretty flexible and plyable. I've seen many posts about how much of a PITA it is to get the cooling system refilled and free of air after changing out the thermostat. Just a thought :shrug:.
Either way you would be getting air into the system and it would have to be properly filled.

I really don't see what the big deal is on filling the cooling system anyway. I have done dozens of Mod Motors and never once had a problem getting the air out of the system. :shrug:

twhitey

Established Member
just slowly loosen the bolts, it will slowly come out. burping the system seems to be most peoples problem.
I did 3 cycles of letting the car run to temp then cool off while it was still on the ramps and 2 more after short drives.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Either way you would be getting air into the system and it would have to be properly filled.

I really don't see what the big deal is on filling the cooling system anyway. I have done dozens of Mod Motors and never once had a problem getting the air out of the system. :shrug:

I have done it twice with no problems...however, I always end up with coolant getting a little messy around the burp plug area...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
just slowly loosen the bolts, it will slowly come out. burping the system seems to be most peoples problem.
I did 3 cycles of letting the car run to temp then cool off while it was still on the ramps and 2 more after short drives.

That is the best way. Do it slowly and you shouldn't end up with a mess.

TORQJNKY

This is right out of the service manual.

Replacement of the Thermostat

1. Drain the engine coolant. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling And Bleeding in this section. (I wouldn't drain the entire system)
2. Remove the thermostat housing bolts.
3. Remove the water thermostat.
4. Separate the thermostat housing.
5. Remove the water thermostat and the O-ring seal.
6. Inspect the O-ring seal. Install a new seal, if necessary.

NOTE: The thermostat is indexed and must be returned to the original location.

NOTE: Make sure the new O-ring seal is secure around the thermostat.

7. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
8. Fill the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling And Bleeding in this section.

Filling the coolant system

1. Check all hose clamps for correct tightness. Make sure the radiator draincock is closed.
2. Place the heater temperature selector in maximum heat position.
3. Remove the pressure cap from the cooling system reservoir and the fill plug from the engine crossover tube.

CAUTION: Do not fill the cooling system through the reservoir only. Coolant will not enter the engine. Only the reservoir and the radiator will be filled and engine overheating will occur.

4. Add coolant into the fill neck on the engine crossover tube until coolant reaches the top of the fill neck on the cooling system reservoir.
5. Install the cooling system pressure cap on the reservoir.
6. Continue to fill the cooling system at the engine crossover fill neck until full.
7. Install the engine crossover tube fill plug.

WARNING: To avoid the possibility of personal injury or damage to the vehicle, do not operate the engine with the hood open until the fan has been first examined for possible cracks and separation.

CAUTION: If the engine temperature gauge does not move, coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow to cool, and fill the cooling system as outlined.

8. Run the engine until the thermostat opens (coolant flowing through the radiator lower hose becomes hot).
9. Stop the engine and allow to cool.
10. Add coolant to the engine crossover tube fill neck until the cooling system is full.
11. Install the fill plug.
12. Repeat the fill procedure if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread