Almost 2 years waiting! Engine parts came in for my 14:1 Nitrous build!

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
So this started when I ordered the 3.800" stroker crank about 3 years ago.

Then spring of last year I had the big bore pistons made and got my engine block.... however I had them drop shipped to the shop doing the machine work.

I never saw any of the parts except for stroker until today and I'm stoked!

15813492558_990f573e59_b.jpg

16000866745_e6e5b3bba5_b.jpg

15813490628_4c26db88f1_b.jpg

15381248983_7235b99f5d_b.jpg

For my new nitrous engine. I also got my engine block in [darton wet sleeved teksid by ProLine], pistons, 3.800" stroker crank, rods, etc.

328c.i. with a carburetor on top.

Made my own little christmas tree at work

15998983321_2cd1446962_c.jpg

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Good god, that thing is going to be an animal. I cant wait to see what sort of NA numbers it'll put down. Not many people try for a serious NA/Nitrous build with these motors. I think they have a good deal of potential.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I am trying to decide between the JE Pistons and the MMR2500s for my Cobra. It bothers me that some people have had to have the pistons deburred. I also know that that problem is supposed to have been fixed.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Good god, that thing is going to be an animal. I cant wait to see what sort of NA numbers it'll put down. Not many people try for a serious NA/Nitrous build with these motors. I think they have a good deal of potential.

I've been in love with these engines since day one. I'm honestly not really a Ford guy or even a Mustang guy (please don't put me in the fire!) ... but something about these 4.6 4V modulars that I just love. Even though I have an LS engine as well, I'd much rather build a modular!

I am trying to decide between the JE Pistons and the MMR2500s for my Cobra. It bothers me that some people have had to have the pistons deburred. I also know that that problem is supposed to have been fixed.

I'm about to send you a PM.

Why is only that little part raised?

It's a domed piston that has been fly cut. I haven't seen a domed piston done this way before though, I'm going to e-mail manley for their thoughts on this approach. It seems like a good place for this to fail.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Awesome stuff. Very curious as to how the block will hold up for you!

I'd love to do a BB/Stroker setup with a little 150 shot on it, but all that only at like 11:1 compression lol. So if your wet sleeved block handles it for a while, I think I'll be ok with mine.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Yea I'm not really liking all the sharp edges.. Def prone to hot spots on there.

Manley got back with me and told me that the area is large enough to not make a cause for concern. They've run this piston dome design many times before without issue and assured me that they feel safe with running this. They also have shelf stock coyote pistons with the same design without issue.

So with that said, I'm left at ease.

Awesome stuff. Very curious as to how the block will hold up for you!

I'd love to do a BB/Stroker setup with a little 150 shot on it, but all that only at like 11:1 compression lol. So if your wet sleeved block handles it for a while, I think I'll be ok with mine.

Guess I'll find out as well! lol

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
What head/cams combo are you going to run with it and when do you think you'll have it in the car running? Can't wait to see this beast

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
That's a great looking setup, and good to hear what Manley said :beer:

beautiful

sick pic lol

Such a shame that it all gets covered up and dirty when it is finally installed! haha, thanks guys!

What head/cams combo are you going to run with it and when do you think you'll have it in the car running? Can't wait to see this beast

Undecided at the moment. Right now I will be running my old heads/cams [stock 03 heads and stage 2 COMP cams]... maybe I'll get a quick port job if it isn't too much money. If I come across a set of nasty N/A cams or heads for a deal then I'll pick it up. Hard to drop an extra $2-3k in the top end when it already made "decent" power and I have the rest of the car to pour money into

Honestly with how simple this car is now, if I don't make the power I want or later want to come back and upgrade the top end I wouldn't think twice about just pulling the engine real quick to swap heads. It'll probably take me longer to put the car up in the air and remove the exhaust than it will to actually pull the engine. I can also remove heads with the engine in the bay too. Haha

As for when? No timeline yet.. just work when I have time. I'll be getting the car running on the current engine (~400rwhp) first with all the other new stuff I have. Probably spray my shortblock for funsies and then make the swap to the new engine.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I can also remove heads with the engine in the bay too.

Total non-smartass questions here - have you done it before? If so, how? I assume you're using studs instead of headbolts and the bay is too small to get the heads off over the studs because of the size of the shock towers. I don't know that you could even get the stud out and then pull the head...

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
That thing is going to scream!! I really like the idea of an ass ripping 550+hp N/A 4V. Those comp cams you are running sound great in the videos.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Total non-smartass questions here - have you done it before? If so, how? I assume you're using studs instead of headbolts and the bay is too small to get the heads off over the studs because of the size of the shock towers. I don't know that you could even get the stud out and then pull the head...

It's possible. But not fun. Drivers side I would say it's impossible with a 5.4. A 4.6 probably.

54passsideheadremoved_zps26c43041.jpg

ARP studs, a 5.4 DOHC and I did it alone. Wasn't fun lifting a fully dressed 55lb head with only using my lower back muscles. It took me 4 visits to the Asian massage parlor to fix my back. But the "happy endings" made it all worth it. lol

-Mark

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I've been kind of out of the loop, but have you had the 5.4 running yet? How do you like it man? Sweet build!

I haven't, but I looked at it previously and I'm completely confident I could pull it off. The biggest thing is because I have manual steering/brakes so I don't have the huge brake booster. Undo the engine mount and jack it up on one side and I should be clear. Worst case scenario, quickly undo my brake reservoir.

Don't plan on ever having to do that, it'd be just as easy to pull the whole motor and have it on a stand for re-assembly.

That thing is going to scream!! I really like the idea of an ass ripping 550+hp N/A 4V. Those comp cams you are running sound great in the videos.

I don't think I'll make nearly that power, but it will definitely be a fun car!

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I've been kind of out of the loop, but have you had the 5.4 running yet? How do you like it man? Sweet build!

Thanks. Yep. Got it up and running. It made 396rwhp n/a. The pic in my sig was this past Sunday. It went 1.51 60ft. It only went 11.61@119 but I'm continplating putting an auto. It's got them to run 11.20's. But I'm putting the blower on now.

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread