Alright, so before I take it in, anyone here have 2nd gear down-shifting issues?

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I've heard ALL about the issues of going from 1st to 2nd under full throttle, on my GT-500, it is like butter. However, down shifting into 2nd between 20-45mph, literally becomes a 2 notch process, I only hear about going from 1-2, not going from 4 to 2, or 5 to 2, or 3-2, heck I can throw it in neutral and wait until I'm at 20-25mph then try to engage second, hello click-CLICK (two step notch) (down-shifting in general) I am rev-matching, but with 2nd I do have to actually apply force and YANK it into place, no grind, but without a forceful "yank" it is like the gear is going through a 2 notch process, which makes 2nd gear flat out SUCK.

I only have this when down-shifting which as I mainly city drive, so obv I use 2nd gear a lot for passing power but it still a "notch notch" below 10 it goes in like butter down-shifting wise, above that, it's a gamble, even 15 mph can cause it but it is not "as" notchy as 20mph+, you really have to "yank" it. Just wanted to make sure this is NORMAL as all I hear about is people gunning it in first gear and being locked out or 2nd gearing being notchy then (on mine no problems what so ever doing that) but daily driving is an annoyance due to the instead of smoothly going into gear I have to go through a 2 notch process, even @ 20 mph.

I get that Tremec says "You need to use force with it" but when every other gear is a-ok upshifting (and down-shifting, expect for 2nd) what the heck could be the cause? I've heard the blocker rings, but those are from people that have resistance when shifting out of 1st into 2nd, NOT down-shifting. Can anyone give me some good in-sight? I'm starting to figure I have to actually "RIP" it into 2nd otherwise it will pop out or go through that god-awful annoying 2-step notchy process.

Thanks in advance, trying to figure out if others have this down-shifting issue with 2nd gear (I do not have it with up-shifting) before I take it in for the other issues.

P.S. AS stated this happens DOWN-shifting, not UP shifting, even with proper rev matches, the 2nd gear just becomes notchy as hell and has always been, two-step process or you have to do a hard "yank" (and I do mean a real YANK but there is no grind and it does go in). I just don't get why one gear requires so much more force to down-shift than all the others, I feel like something is for sure going to break if I shift forcefully (no grinding, just slow, annoying notchyness). Every other gear even downshifting into 1st, is like butter, 2nd gear is the ONLY problem.

:fm:

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
What year is the car?

2012. Still under bumper to bumper, after decemember I'll be good til 2017 (power-train\drive train is still covered, still debating extending basic). also 03cobra, not a bad link but yeah, I bought this car to enjoy manual, and I am not footing the bill for a conversion to "automatic" lol, ten fold when under warranty, if I wanted to do that I'd dump it for a V-Coupe. Also you didn't help explain the the down-shifting issues which only seems to shine when down-shifting into 2nd :(

I always hear about it not letting people shift into 2nd when gunning it from 1st..mine is literally the opposite, it just hates me down-shifting into 2nd, I can go from first full throttle to 2nd to third, to forth all day....it's just down-shifting and 2nd gear. It goes "in" just requires force, have never had my trans grind before though.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've always revved matched downshifts on every stick car I've owned. Not hard to do.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Mine did that too. Car is at the dealership right now getting the trans rebuilt along with the diff under warranty :)

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I've always revved matched downshifts on every stick car I've owned. Not hard to do.

And I'd second that with a, "I just picked up a Gen 1 MGW, and if night and day are polar opposites, so is the stock shifter compared to the Gen 1". Unbelievable difference!

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
I have this sometime..sometimes it doesn't go all the way into 2nd. It sucks. Keep us posted..

Users who are viewing this thread