Alright who is using nitrous

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
I've been reading a bit about this recently but didn't want to bring any old threads back to life. Just wondering who was currently using nitrous and what their setup was. I've seen that nitrous express has a plate kit but its a wet system. Is there any advantage over running wet vs dry. I'm not looking to do anything crazy. Just like a 50-75 shot.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I don't think many shelby guys run it as our cars make enough power as is. Jmo but to me nos is more of a ricer import thing around here at least. There's a saying something like the bottle always runs out then we'll see how your car really runs.

stroked mach

Established Member
I run it I must be a ricer,,,, but any way back to your question , I think the wet kits are the way to go and as for the blower cars if mine had a factory blower it would have a shot on it for sure and not waste 7grand on a bigger blower when 700 could get me to the same place,, and I don't know anyone who says they have all the power they want lmo

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I run it I must be a ricer,,,, but any way back to your question , I think the wet kits are the way to go and as for the blower cars if mine had a factory blower it would have a shot on it for sure and not waste 7grand on a bigger blower when 700 could get me to the same place,, and I don't know anyone who says they have all the power they want lmo

Aaron, I do not know where you got the figure of $7K, but you can easily get a used 2.3 TVS supercharger from the classifieds for less then $2K for these cars.:read:

With a few supporting mods and a good tune, these cars can put down over 600 rwhp.

Explain again to me why running NOS on my $20K engine is a much better idea then running a proven, reliable 2.3 TVS with supporting mods that can give me over 600 rwhp, reliably, instantly all the time?:rollseyes

Choosing the cheap route on these cars usually ends up costing you a lot more in the end.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
If someone said that ricer comment to me I would just laugh. Anyway..... I have a tvs and I'm planning the next couple of mods once I change out my throttle body I'd like to tune for the nitrous at the same time. Instead of doing a lower or anything else that's going to heat up the engine and supercharger more. It seems like it would be a good idea to reduce the temperature. So putting down around 675 on pump and then having 725-750 on the spray sounds pretty awesome.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member

What's your setup? And where is you jet? Got any pics and numbers?

1320 Junkie

Established Member
As previously stated N20 + Blower combos arent too common on these cars due to the power they produce Blower only.

Shit buy a bigger Twinscrew and call it a day if 800+hp is what u crave. Only thing that limits these cars is your wallet.

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Depending on the state, NOS use laws can be very tough. Maryland Criminal Code § 22-404.5 carries 5 points and $290 fine for any violation of this Criminal Code including having the bottle connected in any way OR not having the required silver scotchlite letters on both corners of the rear bumper.

See: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2014rs/statute_google/gtr/22-404.5.pdf

Here are the required stickers in Maryland:

UN1070-b.png

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
As previously stated N20 + Blower combos arent too common on these cars due to the power they produce Blower only.

Shit buy a bigger Twinscrew and call it a day if 800+hp is what u crave. Only thing that limits these cars is your wallet.

Why though. When I can spend $700 and don't have to drop thousands on a blower and fuel system. I'm not trying to run a 200 shot. I'm just thinking a little shot. I've heard about guys with terminators and lightnings running a 35 -50 shot and loving the little extra kick.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Why though. When I can spend $700 and don't have to drop thousands on a blower and fuel system. I'm not trying to run a 200 shot. I'm just thinking a little shot. I've heard about guys with terminators and lightnings running a 35 -50 shot and loving the little extra kick.

Im not saying its worthless. Im just saying if hp goal of 700hp is what u want...in the end a blower only setup will be more consistent and reliable...thats a fact. I did the eaton + N20 combo way back in 03 on my SB coupe....doesnt do as much as you think set at 35-50hp. To setup a N20 system correctly theres ALOT of wiring and crap involved. ..in the end a TVS blower will cost almost the same maybe a few hundred more. They both require proper fueling so thats a wash as far as budget goes.

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member

Is an extra 35-50 shot really worth all that goes into running nos Safely? Safely being the key word.

Think about it, if nos was a easy, reliable and sensible way to add hp to these gt500's, don't you think just about everyone would be running it?

Do what you want, it is your car, but a lot of gt500 owners are not willing to chance any kind of engine damage using nos when there are many other ways to reach that hp goal that are proven safe and reliable on these cars. JMO

stroked mach

Established Member
im with the easy bolt on, and the fact it would be a easy 100hp gain, yes their easy ways to go about it but I like to think of the fact that it would help with cooling the blower down , and like I said if I every had a cobra it would be on the spray as we use it a lot around here and I can see were you would think it would hurt your car but so would a fuel system trying to keep up with a bigger blower then stock, so bang for the buck I think it would be hard to beat a nos kit

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Is an extra 35-50 shot really worth all that goes into running nos Safely? Safely being the key word.

Think about it, if nos was a easy, reliable and sensible way to add hp to these gt500's, don't you think just about everyone would be running it?

Do what you want, it is your car, but a lot of gt500 owners are not willing to chance any kind of engine damage using nos when there are many other ways to reach that hp goal that are proven safe and reliable on these cars. JMO
Does anything really extra go into it? You just need the tune.

I guess I just don't get why everyone acts like it's so unsafe.

Last edited:

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Im not saying its worthless. Im just saying if hp goal of 700hp is what u want...in the end a blower only setup will be more consistent and reliable...thats a fact. I did the eaton + N20 combo way back in 03 on my SB coupe....doesnt do as much as you think set at 35-50hp. To setup a N20 system correctly theres ALOT of wiring and crap involved. ..in the end a TVS blower will cost almost the same maybe a few hundred more. They both require proper fueling so thats a wash as far as budget goes.

I have a tvs

nxhappy

Established Member
wow lots of nitrous haters in here ....lmfao

nitrous IS safe and RELIABLE, you just have to have the proper setup. Wet is much safer, because you are mixing the fuel.

I have been considering the zex blackout kit for $600.

nxhappy

Established Member

boost is stress on the engine, just like nitrous. There are plenty of bracket racers using nitrous, and I'm not talking about ricers.

nitrous is safe if it's done RIGHT... IE window switch, WOT switch, bottle heater, etc

A 50 shot through the blower will yield close to 100 whp. A 75 shot will yield about 125 hp

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
boost is stress on the engine, just like nitrous. There are plenty of bracket racers using nitrous, and I'm not talking about ricers.

nitrous is safe if it's done RIGHT... IE window switch, WOT switch, bottle heater, etc

A 50 shot through the blower will yield close to 100 whp. A 75 shot will yield about 125 hp
Thank you finally someone!!! That's what I've heard is a 50 shot will give you 100 on these cars. So I was thinking a 50 shot on a wot switch would be pretty fun and should be very safe.

The svt thing of well nobody else has done it so it must not be good is getting old. On stock internals I think a 50 shot from time to time has got to be safer than running around with 750rwhp on pump gas 24/7

nxhappy

Established Member
50 wet shot is perfectly safe. $600 and you have 100 whp on tap. Does not get any better. Plus you drop IATs.

Users who are viewing this thread