Alternator failures

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
Looks like it's time for an update on my units.I did infact figure out (I think) the problem with hi rpm alternator voltage drop.It was not diode leakage like I suspected,or regulator failuse like some of you assume,it was the tailstock on my Chinese lathe being offcenter/worn out.
The Cobras are so sensitive to any brush bouncing that if they are not true within .002 runout they trip the light.The high RPM's you guys turn with the stock pulley doesn't help either.
I ordered a new German made center,pulled a few of my returns apart & recut the sliprings.All of them were out of round to some degree & cleaned up with a new cut.
So far,no problems on the ones I've sent out using the new tailstock.
I'm not saying that's the case with any other units,but my research on mine does indicate it as a problem.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
My experience is also brush float, and or cracking ... Along with the inevitable regulator failures. I also always have had my rings turned to make sure they're "true". I also try to track down a Motorcraft regulator as they seem to have the best heatsink. Some of the aftermarket heatsinks are a downright joke. Usually the autozone/advance alternators where you do 1 or 2 wot pulls and you have another batt light in your face. I have many buddies that have had good luck with your alternators. We all have our own opinions and experiences I guess .... I commend you on your customer service as I've heard nothing but good.

ANYHOW ...

Jamie, while your here what's your opinion on Red Tops ? I have always kept mine on a tender @ 13.7 -/+ just like the mfg says to do. I know it's a "low resistance" battery, always wondered if this makes the alternator overwork ? Red Tops seem to get bashed frequently, but I believe they just get so deeply discharged from sitting and occasional use. Thoughts on batteries ???

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
As far as batteries,i'm far from being an expert.I don't do any on vehicle work,strictly a rebuilder.BUT in dealing with repair shops & my walkin customers I've heard the same about Optimas as most of you.I used to use Interstate but their quality has come into question also.For the past few I've needed or ordered for people I've used DEKA,in some cases they are rebranded to sell at NAPA & Autozone,but ask before you buy or find a Deka dealer.EAST PENN manufacturing co., inc.: Lead-Acid Batteries; Battery Manufacturers; Thousands of Different Types of Batteries, Cable & Wire Product

Users who are viewing this thread