Alternator issues

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Went for a spin with some spirited driving and my battery light came on and and my guages went nuts. Also had some crazy static comming through the speakers with radio off. Took the car home quickly and removed the battery cables for about 30 minutes to reset everything. Now only have battery light and 15.9 volts of charge comming from the alternator. The last 2 times the alternator failed the battery light came on but there was little or no charge comming from the alternator, 11.5-12 volts. This is my 3rd Alternator in 5 years and am guessing that is the issue again. Ca starts and runs fine with the exception of the battery light and max output from the alternator. Anyone run into this before?

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
Something is definitely wrong if you have 15.9v coming from the alt. Plus having the 4# lower (which I'm guessing you haven't put on a larger alt. pulley) is seriously over spinning your alternator. Having a larger lower pulley you must get a larger alt. pulley to slow that thing down.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Thanks Desertcobra702. This does have the oversized pully but I was doing some VERY spirited driving and am guessing I overspun it. I have a new one comming tomorrow and will let you know if that was the issue. Just want to see if anyone else hase seen the max charge from a bad alt.

WOTjunkie

SvtP Resident Asshole
Established Member
Thanks Desertcobra702. This does have the oversized pully but I was doing some VERY spirited driving and am guessing I overspun it. I have a new one comming tomorrow and will let you know if that was the issue. Just want to see if anyone else hase seen the max charge from a bad alt.

If the alt is bad it usually doesn't over charge. You might just have a bad voltage regulator. This area really isn't my expertise but I've read through all the alternator threads when mine went out. I do suggest getting the 160amp alt off ebay from EagleAutoElectric. I was turned onto them by a few people on here and haven't had any issues yet.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
Thanks again. I went and looked at that and am seriously considering it. I have the autozone lifetime warranty and will try this one more time tomorrow and then go with the 160 Amp as I want to upgrade the stereo and amps and will need the extra juice.

Patriot Guy

Established Member
:banana:Just a follow up. She is up and running again. Replaced the alternator and all is good, for awhile. LOL!!! I should be behaving at my age. LOL!!:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread