Alternator preferences

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Looking at replacing my stock alternator and upgrading to the Big 3 cables. As i'am sure i am on borrowed time with my stock alt, especially since upgrading my fuel system.

I'm undecided on which to purchase, between J2Fab and Mechman? I've read and heard good things about both. Wondering what some of you guys have had good success with?

Also are these both straight replacement alternators, any modifying involved?

Last edited:

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I am satisfied with my Mechman, no modification needed except they need to know what pulley setup youre running. Its not a standard size pulley, not sure about J2Fab. Have fun swapping your alternator out, just remember the origami you go through on removal and reverse it on the install.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Alternators are like blowers. Everyone likes what they're running. I have a J2 Fab 200amp mine and I'm happy with it. No voltage loss at all. I think the pulley is a little bigger than stock as I remember my belt being a little tighter to get on. No mods needed to install it though.

I don't have experience with any other brands aside from rebuilt stockers.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I think i read on their website that their (J2fab) alt pulley can support, up to a 6lb. lower pulley.
Appreciate the input.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
All the way up to 6? I want to say that the pulley that comes on the J2 is good for stock up to 4lb lowers. All I remember for sure is that whatever pulley comes on it is compatible with stock and 2lb lowers. 3.2" pulley keeps jumping out in my head. ~81mm. Makes sense to me at least. lol

olympic

Established Member
I've had a Mechman alt for 6 years now and it's held up well. A couple small complaints I would have:

- the adapter harness supplied with the alt is cheap and has caused me some issues (poor connection, loss of charging)
- I had the battery light flickering issue. Solved with an extra ignition switched power wire to the alt but it shouldn't need that.
- the voltage fluctuates more than I would like from cold to hot and from low load to high load.

If the Mechman dies I'll replace it with a J2 Fab.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
All the way up to 6? I want to say that the pulley that comes on the J2 is good for stock up to 4lb lowers. All I remember for sure is that whatever pulley comes on it is compatible with stock and 2lb lowers. 3.2" pulley keeps jumping out in my head. ~81mm. Makes sense to me at least. lol
I have a METCO 3.2 pulley on my stock alternator and I am running a 4lb. lower. Got this from there website "This unit ships with a 69 mm pulley and is suitable for stock to 6LB. lowers" That seems a bit extreme?

I've had a Mechman alt for 6 years now and it's held up well. A couple small complaints I would have:

- the adapter harness supplied with the alt is cheap and has caused me some issues (poor connection, loss of charging)
- I had the battery light flickering issue. Solved with an extra ignition switched power wire to the alt but it shouldn't need that.
- the voltage fluctuates more than I would like from cold to hot and from low load to high load.

If the Mechman dies I'll replace it with a J2 Fab.

These things are not cheap! For what we pay i expect them to function as advertised or better. The last thing i would want to see is the batt light flickering after installing a new alternator.
Appreciate the info!

ITSTOCK

Established Member
Kenneth Miley Jr hands down for the 200a 3G alternator, if you're on facebook just message him. The J2Fab is a just as good as the Kenneth Miley one, but you pay for it and give up the lifetime warranty (which you probably won't need with the Kenneth Miley alternator anyway).

There is about 2-5 minutes worth of grinding involved though.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Kenneth Miley Jr hands down for the 200a 3G alternator, if you're on facebook just message him. The J2Fab is a just as good as the Kenneth Miley one, but you pay for it and give up the lifetime warranty (which you probably won't need with the Kenneth Miley alternator anyway).

There is about 2-5 minutes worth of grinding involved though.

Dnt have facebook, any other way to check out his product or contact him?

KBR

Established Member
I found some alternator pulley math.

Looks like with 4lb lower and 3.2 alternator pulley, we may be over spinning the alternator at redline.

3.5 may be better if running a 4lb ring...see below

RPM Calculator
An alternator needs 1800-2000 RPM at idle to make power and will make maximum output at 6000 rpm but will fail at 16,000 RPM
@ 6500 rpm with 3.2 pulley = 17,468.75
@ 6500 rpm with 3.5 pulley = 15,971.42857142857

Measure Alternator pulley size (Metco recommended 3.2")
Measure Crankshaft Pulley Size (4lb ring 8.6")
The Ratio is 2:1 (8.6 divided by 3.2 = 2.6875)

To find MAX RPM: take your Max engine Speed (for example 6500 RPM) and multiply it by the calculated ratio (6500 x 2.6875) = 17,468.75 shaft RPM

To find IDLE RPM: Multiply Idle RPM x Ratio

PS my alternator is making noise but still charging. After researching J2Fab, Mechman, Nations...etc, I ordered one from Ken Miley jr.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I have had great experiences with PA Performance. I've had their 200A alternators on a couple of cars for well over 5 yrs each.

As KBR mentioned, you'll need to pay attention to pulley sizes, which might call for a different pulley on the alternator.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I have had great experiences with PA Performance. I've had their 200A alternators on a couple of cars for well over 5 yrs each.

As KBR mentioned, you'll need to pay attention to pulley sizes, which might call for a different pulley on the alternator.

I guess its hit or miss as with everything else. My buddy is running a PA Performance and zero issues as well. I'm running a stock Alternator i purchased 3.5 years ago and i cant believe how good its turned out?

Just concerned lately that with all the additional strain from the stereo, amp, and fuel system, It will crap out when less expected.

Thanks for the info

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I like the nation's alternator. But I haven't tried anything else.

My 90 coupe has a 200 amp PA. Looking at my records it's been on the car since 03! But it finally kicked the bucket. I ordered the exact same one.

Two different animals though.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I pulled the trigger and purchased the J2Fab alternator, along with the big 3 cables. Ive heard nothing but good things about the products and I didn't realize that they are local to me as well so if i have any issues i am hoping the process for a solution be a little easier.

Ill post up once i get everything hooked up.

JCDriller

Established Member
I have a nations with the big 3 and a odyssey battery, 4lb lower. I have a 3.2 Metco i need to install as I don’t like seeing this drop.

upload_2020-6-4_13-18-19.jpeg

I reached out to nations and they said it was normal.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a nations with the big 3 and a odyssey battery, 4lb lower. I have a 3.2 Metco i need to install as I don’t like seeing this drop.

View attachment 1644350

I reached out to nations and they said it was normal.
What do you have the regulator set at? I'm around 14.3-14.7 at idle and normal driving.

BTW I don't think the metco alternator pulley will fit on their alternator. I purchased a larger one from nation's. However, they also said I'll be fine with a 4lb lower without installing the larger pulley.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

olympic

Established Member
My data logs looks exactly the same with a Mechman alternator. I don't like it but it's never caused an issue. It's important to remember that the voltage shown in logs is 0.5v lower than actual voltage at the battery. If anyone has a data log with a J2fab alternator it would be interesting to compare.

Untitled.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread