Aluminum-Steel Welding

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Interesting and potentially very exciting. A good read for you material science gurus.

http://wardsauto.com/technology/aluminum-steel-welding-next-step-gm-s-lightweighting-initiative?NL=WAW-08&Issue=WAW-08_20160523_WAW-08_566&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_4&utm_rid=CPENT000000134859&utm_campaign=6089&utm_medium=email&elq2=ddfa4a459d5c4b87b45a06143d709aea

WARREN, MI – General Motors is just weeks away from beginning production validation of a new process for joining aluminum and steel parts that will help cut vehicle weight while simplifying manufacturing and lowering tooling costs in its factories, executives say.

The automaker developed the process in-house and says it solves the problem of joining the two disparate metals through spot welding, a hurdle due in large part to the widely different melting points of aluminum and steel.

GM announced earlier it would begin using the process this year in production of the Cadillac CT6 sedan, and officials at a backgrounder here on the company’s extensive efforts to take weight out of its cars and trucks say they are finally close to startup at the Hamtramck, MI, assembly plant, where the technology will be employed first for seatback construction, followed closely by hoods.

The aluminum-to-steel spot-welding system makes use of a uniquely designed welding tip patented by GM. However, the tip fits with conventional tooling, so there is no need for specialized welding equipment. GM is expected to make the process available to other automakers interested in licensing the technology.

The process is the next step in the manufacturing evolution that saw aluminum-to-aluminum welding capability, introduced around 2008, reach widespread application in today’s factories. GM is hoping it can exceed the pace of that 8-year ramp-up when it comes to proliferating the aluminum-to-steel welding technology.

The automaker says the welding process allows it to eliminate rivets used to join aluminum and steel body parts, cutting costs and mass. With aluminum-to-aluminum welding, cost savings in rivets alone are estimated at $5-$100 per vehicle, depending on the number used, with weight savings of 0.7-11 lbs. (0.3-5 kg) per vehicle. Manufacturing costs also are lower, the automaker says.

In the initial aluminum-to-steel program for seatbacks, GM will move cautiously, replacing a couple of the rivets currently used with the advanced spot welds to test the manufacturing process and prove part durability before moving on to more extensive applications.

Carbon Fiber Wheels, Magnesium Parts

The welding technology is just one of the things GM is focused on in an effort to cut vehicle weight to meet toughening fuel-economy and tailpipe emissions standards, as well as to improve vehicle performance.

Among projects, GM is working with a supplier to develop carbon-fiber wheels for a performance model, with the Chevrolet Corvette seemingly the most likely first recipient. Other automakers have offered carbon-fiber wheels for track use, but GM says its plan is to make them available as a regular street option.

The automaker says in tests so far, the wheels have performed well, but it is working with the supplier to change the design to make them even lighter and stiffer. The current prototypes trim about 8.8 lbs. (4 kg) off each wheel.

“We want them to be a performance differentiator,” William R. Rodgers, Light Polymer Systems Technical Fellow-R&D, says of the push to advance the design further.

Timing is unclear, but GM says costs should come down as production increases, meaning carbon-fiber wheels could have wider application as a fuel-economy initiative in the future.

The automaker also shows off a large prototype underbody made of structural composite and door and decklid inners made of blow-formed magnesium sheet. Both cut mass considerably – 30% in the case of the underbody – and consolidate a number of parts, but cost so far has limited the use of those materials.

Lessons learned from the underbody project aided the development of the Chevrolet Spark EV’s composite battery enclosure. And GM did experiment with magnesium decklids on the Cadillac SLS sedan built in China, but that car (an extended-wheelbase XTS) has gone out of production.

The SLS decklid performed well, says Anil K. Sachdev, Light Metals Systems Lab Group Manager-R&D, but so far there hasn’t been a solid business case to bring magnesium into wider use for the body-in-white.

“We’re always looking for ways to bring that cost down,” he says.

Charlie Klein, executive director-Global CO2 Strategy, Energy, Mass and Aerodynamics, says lightweighting is one of the four pillars of GM’s “Efficient Fundamentals Strategy” to meet U.S. CAFE standards set to reach 54.5 mpg (4.3 L/100 km) in 2025. Other focuses include advanced powertrains, aerodynamics and optimized components and systems.

GM is making extensive use of computer-aided engineering technology to make sure its bodies-in-white employ materials in a way that maximizes weight savings and structural rigidity, Klein says, noting the automaker put in 50 million CAE computational hours in designing the sophisticated CT6 body that combines 11 different materials.

In trimming 300 lbs. (136 kg) off the new Malibu, GM uses seven different types of steels for the body.

“There is no absolutely right material (for all applications),” Klein says. “You have to use the right material in the right spot.”

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wonder how those weld joints will hold up during crash testing? Snap, crackle, pop..

I'm sure that would be under heavy scrutiny. I wouldn't be horribly concerned about it.

I'm more wondering about the auto body guys, are they just going to have to rivet panels back on?

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Theyre gonna need it to keep up with Ford/Alcoa.

This is way past riveting and bonding. The multi ringed electrode and friction stir methods being used are pretty trick, if they can get it to work on a large scale. Huge manufacturing advantages are at stake. The aerospace industry would be very interested in this tech. Ford/Alcoa aren't doing anything revolutionary. To their credit though, they achieved scale that no one has to date, and are definitely the early adopters.

BTW - Alcoa isn't under exclusive contract with Ford for Aluminum. GM already has partnerships with them an Novelis.

This discussion should really be about the advancements in material science, the excitement around it, and how it will change our world.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Where are steel and aluminum on the galvanic scale? Could galvanic corrosion be a problem for this? All I remember is that if they are close to each other on the galvanic scale it's not a problem.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Where are steel and aluminum on the galvanic scale? Could galvanic corrosion be a problem for this? All I remember is that if they are close to each other on the galvanic scale it's not a problem.

I believe they are pretty close on the Anodic end of the scale. Aluminum and steel are already widely used together in autos, so I would say it most likely is not a serious issue.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member

First thing that came to my mind, too.

EDIT: Seems it depends fairly strongly on the grade of steel, and whether or not it's galvanized:

galvanic_series.png

Last edited:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member

They are different materials, as such galvanic corrosion will be inevitable. Maybe there's enough sacrificial interstitials in the alloys to stave it off, but still.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
They are different materials, as such galvanic corrosion will be inevitable. Maybe there's enough sacrificial interstitials in the alloys to stave it off, but still.

This. Being close to one another on the scale only means the rate of corrosion will be slower. They are going to have to get creative with getting corrosion to occur at sacrificial sites. The only way to prevent galvanic corrosion, is to prevent electron flow between dissimilar metals with a coating or rubber grommet, which can't be done with welding.

This is way past riveting and bonding. The multi ringed electrode and friction stir methods being used are pretty trick, if they can get it to work on a large scale. Huge manufacturing advantages are at stake. The aerospace industry would be very interested in this tech. Ford/Alcoa aren't doing anything revolutionary. To their credit though, they achieved scale that no one has to date, and are definitely the early adopters.

BTW - Alcoa isn't under exclusive contract with Ford for Aluminum. GM already has partnerships with them an Novelis.

This discussion should really be about the advancements in material science, the excitement around it, and how it will change our world.

Alcoa is under an exclusive contract with Ford for the new alloy and technology used to reduce production cost, and improve strength and formability.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Engineers love it when the words can't and won't are used. It makes them work harder.

FWIW, GM has already been testing this on a small scale with some Cadillac models. They just never publicly announced it.

Last edited:

olefafl

Established Member

I work on trailers. It's a problem. Most manufacturer just paint the lower maybe 2 feet of the frame & that's the place it normally takes place at. I have put tape on the steel before to slow it down when doing repairs.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Why don't cars come outfitted with sacrificial anodes like boats?

The biggest reason is the cars usually aren't sitting in a corrosive environment like boats are most of the time. Sure it rains and snows some places, and the salts on the roads definitely don't help any, and a small portion of people do some extreme off roading through rivers and oceans and mud and such, but for the most part it's a much easier environment to deal with.

It probably comes down to a combination of cost, weight, and rate of corrosion. Cars operate in a less corrosive environment [usually] than boats, and with some sound engineering will corrode fairly slowly, usually. They have calculations that given a 95% confidence interval or so over the 6-12 years the corrosion warranty lasts, the cars won't have perforations.

Corrosion is a PITA though. I have been fortunate enough to not have to deal with it yet in my engineering career, but it's a highly complex animal. Changing something to prevent corrosion in one area can result in increased corrosion elsewhere, which is very easy to overlook.

Users who are viewing this thread