Always spin new wheels before mounting tires!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I bought new wheels tires for my 2000 Cobra R. I want to pull the originals and store them to preserve them. I ordered these from LMR.com Today I hit a tire shop to have the tires mounted/balanced. I always have made it a habit to have the wheels spun on the balance machine prior to mounting the tires. This is to check for wheel damage/out of round before a tire is introduced to the rim. I don’t want a vendor to claim it was damaged during the tire install or driving. I did this spin check on my sons’ wheels we recently mounted and all was well. Today, we discovered one of my R wheels was bent. I did a visual inspection of the wheels when I got them, but focused on the faces. I didn’t see the hit mark on the backside, but spinning the wheel revealed the damage and it was then I saw the hit mark.

LMR said they will take care of it.

These were shipped UPS by-the-way!

E6_B9_B2_F3-579_E-4931-_AD83-_AA6_BB750_A7_EE.jpg

E257236_F-_DB53-4303-81_EE-_B36_B822_F0701.jpg

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Agree. I’ve also ran into many out of spec tires too.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
You get what you pay for. A guy can't expect much quality from a $150 cast Chinese wheel.
I know guys that had to buy 3 or 4 extras just to find a round one. Really? They make wheels & think round is optional? Ok.
Also poor finish, thin paint, won't balance out correctly. The list goes on. Low cost, low quality...

Goose17

Established Member
You get what you pay for. A guy can't expect much quality from a $150 cast Chinese wheel.
I know guys that had to buy 3 or 4 extras just to find a round one. Really? They make wheels & think round is optional? Ok.
Also poor finish, thin paint, won't balance out correctly. The list goes on. Low cost, low quality...

Hello again. Another chipper response. The wheel in question was dropped during shipping. It has a hit mark. Round was not "optional." These wheels are exactly what I was looking for. The other 3 are great and balanced nicely. A replacement is coming. Hopefully UPS doesn't drop this one.

Goose17

Established Member
Actually have never heard this, makes a lot of sens though. What tires did you go with?

I went with NITTO NT05 tires. They have a tredwear rating of 200, so I’m thinking they’ll have good bite. The reviews sound favorable.

The replacement wheel showed up. I have to thank Late Model Restoration... They said they have a 5-day window to check for damaged shipments. This allows them to get reimbursed from the shipper. I had the wheels for about 3 weeks before I got around to getting the tires mounted. It was then I discovered UPS “drop shipped” one of them. The rep at LMR basically said that they will try to get reimbursed from UPS, but it will most likely get rejected due to the timeframe. He hooked me up with a new wheel regardless.

I’ll post some reviews after I get the set mounted and have taken it out for a spin. Of course we are heading into Winter, so I’m not expecting good traction until the Spring.

Now I have to research how to store/preserve old collector tires that cannot be replaced...

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Please explain what any of that ramble bamble has to do with the shipping Co damaging the wheel so badly that it is now out of round?

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Please explain what any of that ramble bamble has to do with the shipping Co damaging the wheel so badly that it is now out of round?
If you can't extract the facts I posted about cheap Chinese wheels from my reply on your own, I don't have time to "explain" why it happened so easily.
Take some time on your own to research cheap cast wheels & form your own opinions. As I mentioned, I've known several guys that bought from the same vendor with nothing but problems because the wheels were in fact, not round. What would hitting a pothole on the road do to this wheel?
Again, you get what you pay for.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can't extract the facts I posted about cheap Chinese wheels from my reply on your own, I don't have time to "explain" why it happened so easily.
Take some time on your own to research cheap cast wheels & form your own opinions. As I mentioned, I've known several guys that bought from the same vendor with nothing but problems because the wheels were in fact, not round. What would hitting a pothole on the road do to this wheel?
Again, you get what you pay for.

Then I would hope you only paid about $5000 for that fancy GT500 of yours being that a good portion of it was made in China.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Goose17

Established Member
Don’t waste your time @gimmie11s. There is a lot of animosity there. I banned him from a forum I moderate due to many issues. He now follows me here and tries to disrupt my threads. Like a junior high bully... getting satisfaction from trying to make others miserable.

Back to the wheels... they are the only aftermarket versions of the 00R wheel available. They are exactly what I was looking for to preserve my mint, low mile originals. I can have fun with the car now and not worry about chips/dings on the OEM stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread