Am I being mean to my 2003 Cobra? (guys with 100,000 miles help)

Cos

Established Member
This is a weird question I know, and I must say I am not an idiot when it comes to cars, but this is my first 500+ HP S/C car and I am curious about the longevity of the motor with my driving habits. She is a 2003 with 100,000 miles. Minor stuff done. Exhaust, intake, smaller pulley, MAF.IA, tune. I let it warm up and I usually just cruise around but I have a hard time keeping my right foot out of the throttle at least once when I go for a drive. The noise and acceleration never really gets old. I don't pop the clutch or slam shift it. Usually in 2 or 3rd just give it a decent amount of gas, rip by and then let it decelerate.

The reason for my question is that I just love this car. It is absolutely beautiful to look at and to drive. The power and noise are another part that is just addictive.

Now how hard on a warm termi motor is giving it a bit of throttle now and then? I know on bikes and N/A cars it isnt a bad thing as long as it is warm. I just want to enjoy this car for years. I maintain the oil and plugs and will make sure to take care of it. Just curious if you guys with 100,000 or even 150,000 miles baby the shit out of it or do you drive like I do.

I dont think i will ever sell this car. TYIA.

Last edited:

nol300

Established Member
The car is made to perform that's why it has an iron block and forged internals perfromance and longevity if you take care of it maintain it and fix things when they break you should be good. On the same note any car can break no matter how you drive it just depends.

Cos

Established Member
The car is made to perform that's why it has an iron block and forged internals perfromance and longevity if you take care of it maintain it and fix things when they break you should be good. On the same note any car can break no matter how you drive it just depends.

Thanks. Dont get me wrong I am not looking for a daily driver that never breaks. I like to work on the car and tinker. I have my truck for my daily. I just dont want to blow a piston through the bottom of the block for driving this way. As I said I have had bikes and such but nothing with this much power and this high of miles.

If I have to rebuild the motor so be it, I would just rather on my terms in a few years when I can drop in some serious coin.

:beer:

mike1284

mcdougal
Established Member
first let me start by saying, i like your style. having a car that you love and actually using it for what it was built for, DRIVING. i cant stand garage queens. i would give about anything to have my baby back. i drive a focus everyday wishing i had my cobra back to drive. IMO i dont think your it driving hard enough... hitting the go pedal without any crazy mods, and the way you maintain the car shouldnt be a problem.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
I would say that as long as you take care of it (changing fluids regularly, letting her warm up, fixing minor issues when they arise and not putting it off, having a good tune) then it should be okay.

But then again, you never know when something might let go, sometimes freak things happen.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It certainly sounds like you take good care of your Cobra and don't abuse it. So you should have little to be concerned about from what you're describing. IMO the most important thing is to do the regular maintenance. I think we have someone here who has around 300K on their Terminator. :)

Cos

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I only recently got it. Like I said I know the mechanical side, just have never owned something like this and have seen how it handles the ages or 'abuse'. I didnt think I abused my car. Scary how fast it goes for not abusing it though.

Haha

I agree the power, noise and looks really are hard to resist. :beer:

These long blocks can take a beating. I'm always going into boost when I have room to stretch its legs. Its just too hard to resist.

MTBSully

Established Member
lol at all the people out there who think that all of a sudden cars just self destruct at 100k miles.

I had a 95 z28 that when i pulled apart the motor to do a head gasket at 120k miles (because my stupid 18 year old ass stripped the spark plug threads. NOT because it needed a head gasket) was so clean inside you could eat off of it.

Then i helped a buddy do the same with his 40k mile LT1 and it was an absolute disaster. Gunk and carbon everywhere.

Its all about how the car has been maintained. If you have maintained it and treat it right, you should be able to beat on it whenever you want. If you drive that car like a pussy because you hit 100k miles, then sell it and give it to someone who WILL drive it.

SteedaX47

Established Member
This thread makes me almost regret the decision to pull apart the 03 shortblock I got for my 4v swap. I opened it and it looked brand new! Motor had 97k on it. Made over 600rwhp for 30k mi and over 800 for 20k mi! Still looked great on the inside. But hey better safe than sorry right? This thread also gives me hope lol. Keep it up op! Continue actually driving it!

Cos

Established Member
Thanks guys! Makes me feel a lot better. I probably take way too god of care of it. When I hear a squeak or a rattle I stop driving and check it out. Clean it and check it over every weekend. The underside looks great with no leads and the CV joints look almost brand new.

:D

Cos

Established Member
post pick of engine

Not sure why but ok:

2011-11-26140129.gif

Cos

Established Member
What stage port do you have?

Not sure. I was told it was a Stage 4 but no way to verify that.

^^^
HotCobra03 has over 300k on his long block and you are worried about 100k and above.

I dont know many people on these forums. I searched high mile on the forum and found lots around the 160,000 miles but never saw them at 300,000. Also I havent owned it for more than about 5,000 miles so there are a lot of unaccounted for miles.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
first let me start by saying, i like your style. having a car that you love and actually using it for what it was built for, DRIVING. i cant stand garage queens. i would give about anything to have my baby back. i drive a focus everyday wishing i had my cobra back to drive. IMO i dont think your it driving hard enough... hitting the go pedal without any crazy mods, and the way you maintain the car shouldnt be a problem.

Well said:thumbsup:.....with that being said I just got back from driving the piss out of my cobra(500+whp also) once I got home had the biggest smile ever on my face.....drive it like you stole it :banana::pepper::dancenana:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread