Am I crazy?

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve been lurking/reading lately and am debating whether I want to start tuning my own car. I’m not happy with my current tune and want to get some drivability back, cure the wot shift falling on face problem, get some pop on decel back, etc. I am not a computer genius by any stretch so I don’t know how to code. Should I save the trouble and just pay someone? Or is this something I could tackle?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You don't need to know how to code to tune. I think its something worth learning. You'll learn a lot about your car.

MG0h3

Established Member
Have you done the PPRV delete? If not, that is likely the WOT hesitation during shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
No, it only did it when I got it returned so I figured it was tune related

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Have you done the PPRV delete? If not, that is likely the WOT hesitation during shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
The PPRV delete doesn't always fix it. I had it it show up on my old Cobra after doing the delete and removing the blower. I had to tune it out.
Coding is one thing. Being able to read and edit the bajillion data points for a good tune is another. Hire a professional.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
There isn't a bajillion data points to read. Like anything else it takes time, but in the end I'd say it's worth it.

On my first Cobra I went through three MAF's, two sets of injectors, three blowers, and a few different boost levels. I saved a lot of money being able to adjust as needed. Plus I didn't need to wait for anyone to get back to me. And with the live tuning available now its really easy to see how your changes affect the car.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
2.93 pulley, steeda intake, egr delete, o/r prochamber, bassani catback, 170 t-stat. pretty simple.

It could be tune related. What has been done to your car?

I've been specifically looking at the moates quarterhorse if anyone is curious. I feel like SCT PRP is more of a hassle and don't really know much about hptuners

bigja01cobra

Established Member
If you have time learning to tune it is definitely possible, especially with the moates quarter horse and the resources available on forums to assist when you have questions. Time will be the determining factor you will have to read and read a lot. Make a small change and see it happen etc.

EFIDynoTuning and @decipha is the go to guy for DIY tuning.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
2.93 pulley, steeda intake, egr delete, o/r prochamber, bassani catback, 170 t-stat. pretty simple.

I've been specifically looking at the moates quarterhorse if anyone is curious. I feel like SCT PRP is more of a hassle and don't really know much about hptuners
Honestly that's a pretty easy set up and a good one to start with IMO. I was going to recommend decipha's set up. I have SCT and I've thought about selling it to switch to Moates. But I have two cars registered.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah SCT seems too annoying with all the stuff going on lately. Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through.

Users who are viewing this thread