Am I safe with only a pulley (no tune)?

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
I needed to remove the tune on my car for it to go through emissions inspection (VA :kaboom:). So I needed to put on the stock airbox as well. But I left the smaller pulley on there cause it's such a PITA to swap, even with the puller tool. I'm just driving it around for a few miles to make sure the ECU is "ready" to be inspected via OBDII.

I've been taking it easy on the throttle, avoiding boost for the most part. But am I safe with the pulley on there if say I go WOT to destroy a camaro or some obnoxious ricer? The reason I think I should be good is because, according to Justin, there was no flash needed when adding the pulley when I already had the intake and his tune. I know a tune is needed for an intake because of the MAF but is a pulley safe with the stock tune and no other engine mods?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
as long as you keep the RPMs low you should be fine

why cant you get an emissions tune?

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Would you bang a prostitute without a rubber?

Think about it

Good point. Just because someone on the Internet tells you it's okay, why risk it. More air + less fuel = lean = more risk of :xpl:.

Why risk it? You should be able to muster up enough self control to avoid WOT for one day! When you get back, get a tune/combo that will pass the sniffer.

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
as long as you keep the RPMs low you should be fine

why cant you get an emissions tune?

Yeah, I've been easy on the throttle. From what I understand about emissions testing is that they plug up some kind of OBDII reader and it checks the emissions related sensors from the ECU. They need to have had some time and miles to log satisfactory exhaust air in order to pass. And I think Justin's tunes come with the o2 sensor turned off (for catless mid-pipes). This will cause the car to fail the OBDII test. I believe they also do an exhaust sniffer in conjunction with the OBDII test to get a comprehensive reading of your emissions. Not positive about that tho.

Think about it

:shrug: Does it count if your drunk? What about if you pull-out? Or just a BJ?

Just kidding. Ha ha, good analogy. I agree completely :beer:

What size pulley are you running?

The old stock-look one from VMP tuning. I believe it's 2.65. Added about 3-4 lbs of boost. He sells 2.59" now

so you cant have a tune or intake. man this emissions sucks

Yep, it does. But it's all going back on after inspection...with the addition of an O/R X-Pipe :rockon:

Good point. Just because someone on the Internet tells you it's okay, why risk it. More air + less fuel = lean = more risk of :xpl:.

Why risk it? You should be able to muster up enough self control to avoid WOT for one day! When you get back, get a tune/combo that will pass the sniffer.

Yeah, better safe than sorry, for sure. But according to Justin at VMP, "Same tune with or without pulley, it adjusts automatically" These are his words from an email.

Ya know, I wouldn't be surprised. Certain things the ECU can compensate for. In the Mustang world I've learned an intake is definitely NOT one of them. But maybe it will throw more fuel when it sees more air. If it adjusts automatically with his tune, shouldn't it do the same with the stock tune?

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
if the car is just pulley, tune, CAI, IMO no reason it will not pass

have you had an issue before?

Justin is 100% right on, the MAF will allow the PCM to adjust the a/f so the car runs fine

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
if the car is just pulley, tune, CAI, IMO no reason it will not pass

have you had an issue before?

Justin is 100% right on, the MAF will allow the PCM to adjust the a/f so the car runs fine

I think it will fail the OBDII scan because the tune turns off the o2 sensor to keep a CEL from popping up when running a catless x-pipe, for example. If I just flash it back to stock, it still would fail because it would be in a "not ready" state. From what I understand it needs miles and key cycles to build a history of your exhaust emissions.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
I needed to remove the tune on my car for it to go through emissions inspection (VA :kaboom:)....

Not a Virginia thing... it's a LOCAL thing for you.

The whole state doesn't have to do this...

Only here:
The counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford
The cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, or Manassas Park

Last edited:

jfitts23

Established Member
also i think i'v seen you driving around. around fort belvoir? nice stang

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I think it will fail the OBDII scan because the tune turns off the o2 sensor to keep a CEL from popping up when running a catless x-pipe, for example. If I just flash it back to stock, it still would fail because it would be in a "not ready" state. From what I understand it needs miles and key cycles to build a history of your exhaust emissions.

ahh, well that makes more sense then, however if you have no rear O2s then if you flash to stock you may still have issues, the O2s are still going to show not ready and cause a cascade of 2 other not ready messages (happened to me here in NY). Yes you need a driving cycle after you install a tune if you are going for emissions.

good luck - you may want to cheak with a local Mustang shop on how they handle this issue. Woodbine Motorsports comes to mind in VA

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
Not a Virginia thing... it's a LOCAL thing for you.

The whole state doesn't have to do this...

Only here:
The counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford
The cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas, or Manassas Park

You're exactly right. Basically, northern VA or anything north of manassas....and stafford. I remember not having to do it in Hampton Roads.

also i think i'v seen you driving around. around fort belvoir? nice stang

I've driven around there a few times, not too often tho. I live and work out in the Dulles area. Thx bro

ahh, well that makes more sense then, however if you have no rear O2s then if you flash to stock you may still have issues, the O2s are still going to show not ready and cause a cascade of 2 other not ready messages (happened to me here in NY). Yes you need a driving cycle after you install a tune if you are going for emissions.

good luck - you may want to cheak with a local Mustang shop on how they handle this issue. Woodbine Motorsports comes to mind in VA

Yeah, I'm just driving it around a bit before I take it in for inspection. I'm gonna be putting on a catless x-pipe afterwards so I think I'll leave the tune with the o2 sensors off and just flash it back to stock and put on the stock x-pipe when I gotta take it in for emissions again. Excessive Motorsports in Manassas is the closest Mustang shop to me, then there's Springfield Motorsports in Lorton.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Yeah, I'm just driving it around a bit before I take it in for inspection. I'm gonna be putting on a catless x-pipe afterwards so I think I'll leave the tune with the o2 sensors off and just flash it back to stock and put on the stock x-pipe when I gotta take it in for emissions again. Excessive Motorsports in Manassas is the closest Mustang shop to me, then there's Springfield Motorsports in Lorton.

ok, well all that added info would have been helpful from the getgo

if you have the O2s there and the tune is the stock one - do the driving cycle - should be in the manual (was on my 06GT) and you're GTG

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Think about it

funny-condom-design-preservatif-7.jpg

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
ok, well all that added info would have been helpful from the getgo

if you have the O2s there and the tune is the stock one - do the driving cycle - should be in the manual (was on my 06GT) and you're GTG

That's the plan. But from the getgo, I just needed to know if I could run the pulley safely without a tune :beer:

:lol::lol:

Mikey org gt500

Established Member
you cant pay some for a sticker
/ really? wtf is this world coming too lol.. turn it back to stock get your sticker then put the mods back on

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
you cant pay some for a sticker
/ really? wtf is this world coming too lol.. turn it back to stock get your sticker then put the mods back on

:lol: Yeah, I know right? That's the plan tho. Just gonna putt around for a few miles, get it checked and put the mods back on. I'm just doing it now cause I have registration coming up soon and I want my x-pipe on there without having to take it off again in a few months. Maybe if I was in Jersey I could slide a few bucks across the counter and get it taken care of pronto....badda bing! :thumbsup:

Speedy308

Established Member
And some emmissions stations use the sniffer and some don't. When I got my Shelby done, all they checked was the Catalyst system and its self tests. Justin disables this system so it wont pass on his tune. (I know cause I failed with his tune even after going to stock X)

I would be very careful hitting anything over 8psi with the stock airbox just due to the supercharger's RPM's higher than the stock airbox is probably good for supplying.

If you think of it as a turbo, a turbo is going to spool at whatever RPM the exhaust will spool it to, and it will only suck in the air the intake will allow....so maybe it will be completely fine....

Got a solution Rico....drive it a 2 days like this, take it and get emissions done. bring your parts and lets put that x-pipe on! ASAP!

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Are you sure you have a no-cat tune? Lund would not run a no-cat tune with cats. He gave me both. The no-cat tune is the only issue I think you may have leaving everything else in place for the test.

Users who are viewing this thread