Am I screwed here?

toomanytoys

Established Member
Finally got the diff out of the car and upon disassembly I find chunks missing from one of the spider gears. Can’t find any metal in the housing and all other gears are fine. The rear wasn’t making any noise prior. What do you guys think?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
As long as the case is good you're fine. Pick up a new diff with bearings and seals and put it all back together.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had a gear lose a tip

I went to bone yard

Bring the old one with you

I pulled a few before finding the same size

zredfire04

Established Member
I'd suspect a shoddy rebuild in the past.

Best thing to do imo is get a truetrac and get rid of the lsd. These diffs are too much of a pita to drop to be servicing the clutches.

toomanytoys

Established Member
Unfortunately all the boneyards around here are long gone. I needed to get this car back on the ground as it was blocking my driveway so I just said screw it and put it back together. Been driving around like this for over 8 years. Looks like previous owner must have blown it up and maybe this top spider gear damage was missed upon the rebuild. There was no metal in the case and all the other gears are good. Oh well guess I’ll just have to wait and see

hotcobra03

Established Member
Unfortunately all the boneyards around here are long gone. I needed to get this car back on the ground as it was blocking my driveway so I just said screw it and put it back together. Been driving around like this for over 8 years. Looks like previous owner must have blown it up and maybe this top spider gear damage was missed upon the rebuild. There was no metal in the case and all the other gears are good. Oh well guess I’ll just have to wait and see

We must be lucky. We have over a dozen pick and pull yards here plus many yards that you can’t just walk in

I believe I drove mine for years with gear also.
I had the rear done 2 times before I did it.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I replaced my diff a few years back from the same thing. Was doing a new pinion seal and noticed broken spider gears. Car drove fine without noises. I replaced the diff anyway.

zredfire04

Established Member
Mine were in bad shape. One of the clutch packs had welded itself together, and when I took it apart I only had a couple teeth left on one of the side gears. Going down the road, one wheel would occasionally hop and make a slamming noise. Finally decided to tear into it when it was happening several times per mile.

Users who are viewing this thread