AMAZING Preliminary Dyno Results with Link to Scanned Images

Hammer

Established Member
I had my first dyno session this afternoon at Crazy Horse Racing in South Amboy, NJ. I wanted to get down a baseline with no mods whatsoever and document all progress.

It was a very hot day but the first dyno pulls were still disappointing. Out of two pulls I got about 350 RWHP.

Then the silencer came off and the stock filter was replaced with a K&N filter. The third pull with those first mods yielded 14 additional RWHP and 8 more RWTQ.

At that point Chris Winter (the owner of Crazy Horse) suggested that I drive the car around for a while. He reminded me that the stock computer is adaptive. "Give it a chance to learn the increased air flow. Put 50-100 miles on it and come back and we'll dyno it again". So I followed his suggestion. I hit the highways and put about 70 miles on it. I came back and we dynoed it a fourth time.

The results were absolutely amazing. RWHP shot up to 382. Chris was right. The car needed time to learn the change and remap it's variables. Two more pulls yielded 379 and 381 RWHP. So the silencer and K&N filter trick yielded me an increase of over 32 RWHP!!! And man I could feel it on the road.

Chris can verify this info @ Crazy Horse: 732-553-9050.

I have more amazing news but I'll save it for the next post.

Here's a link to the dyno sheets. I quickly scanned them and threw them on the Net. They were not readable when I shrank them to fit on this BBS. Make sure your web browser is full screen to see them at full size.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/richardjuliano/DynoResults.htm

Hammer

Established Member
Next amazing news:

While I was getting the dyno test, Chris got on the phone with SuperChips. They offered me a FREE program for the 03 (that's right- free)!! As it turns out, my computer is a revision QU-002 (something like that) and it's a brand new program that no one has seen before. SuperChips thinks my car is the first one in the country with that program.

So Chris hooked up a gadget to my computer and sent all the data to SuperChips. They are writing me a tune. They send the data back to Chris and it goes in the car tomorrow with more dyno results. They read my revised program and it is more restrictive than the ones before it. They expect big gains.

So I am hooked up bigtime. I get the new chip tomorrow @ 3:00 PM. This modded chip will be sold to Crazy Horse Racing and theirs exclusively to sell for 03 Cobras.

Look for more dyno sheets and results tomorrow.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Sweet:thumbsup:

32 RWHP just with a K&N and Snorkel removed!!! WOW!!!

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by Hammer
Next amazing news:

While I was getting the dyno test, Chris got on the phone with SuperChips. They offered me a FREE program for the 03 (that's right- free)!! As it turns out, my computer is a revision QU-002 (something like that) and it's a brand new program that no one has seen before. SuperChips thinks my car is the first one in the country with that program.

Check your computer code. Is it really QU002?? It's on the passenger side door. Mine is QUD2. Thanks.

gary

SVTyballz

Established Member
Cool. There was an earlier thread about computer codes but nobody with anything but QUD2 responded. Just wondering how many different ones there are. shouldn't be more than couple out there.

gary

46stang

Established Member
very impressive!! could you maybe tell them you want sae corrected HP numbers and not standard HP numbers! the std numbers will typically be a little higher and most of the guys on here(the net) prefer sae numbers! It'll give a better comarison to others on the net! Anyways congrats on the hp levels i can't wait to see what the chip does!!:beer:
Leon

Venom Lover

Established Member
Excellent results!

Just a thought. Driving the car in between your 2nd and 3rd pulls may have allowed your motor to cool off a little as well. I don't know if your first runs the motor might have been a little heat soaked....

Hammer

Established Member
Actually, the car cooled down much longer before the first run than it did before the fourth run. It sits in the dyno bay with the hood popped and the fan on it.

But it was later in the day for the fourth run and the temperature came down probably between 5 and 10 degrees. So I am sure that played a role.

For the last run Chris tried the ice trick: he sent one of his guys out for 2 bags of ice and sat them on the blower and intake for about 20 minutes. It didn't help.

46stang: I am not sure if Chris calculates SAE RWHP...I am sure he does but I didn't think to ask.

The STD numbers can't be too high since my first runs only yielded 350 RWHP. How much lower could it have been?

Anyway, one thing is accurate for sure: The contrast between before and after filter mod! What a freak!! That's why I wanted to post the results and offer a reference. What more could I do? I told Chris to expect phone calls. He welcomes them.

So call Chris Winter tomorrow if curious. He is a really nice guy; very honest and easy to talk to. It was not only a dyno session, it was like a consulting/tuning session as well. All in all, I got 6 pulls on the dyno for $75!! And he charged me $35 for the K&N filter. Can't beat it. All his time and attention for $110.

I know that there are other good sources in NJ for mods for us but Chris and Crazy Horse are DEFINATELY among the best and he is an expert on the 03's as much as anyone this early in the game.

I guess that tomorrow will tell if he's got the 'hot chip' or what. I'll keep you all posted.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I just checked and have QUD2 also. Does that mean if I want a superchip I need to get it from Crazy Horse Racing. If so do you know how much it normally costs.

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
Can you be more specific about the K&N filter that was put on? Is it just a cone type and you removed the airbox entirely? Or does it just go in place of the original with the airbox intact (except for the hose)? What's the part number? thanks!

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
:thumbsup:
Good God, what are these engines capable of???

What K$N part number? I put in the E-0945 that fit's the 2001 Cobra, seems to work perfect in the stock airbox, but there is plenty of room for a larger filter element??

Great numbers keep us posted :coolman:

Hammer

Established Member
Hey guys. My motor had about 600 miles on it during that dyno session.

I am not sure of the K&N filter that Chris put on. He charged me $35 for it. Call Chris to get specifics: 732-553-9050.

No, there were no other mods to the car.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Hammer--I am very jealous! what the heck! just kidding, thats awsome man. I just put down a deposit for my black coupe a few days ago so I am new to the cobra. So this might be a dumb question but how many different computers are there for the 03 cobra? Is the QUD2 rare? Whats the difference? Thanks for the help. Good luck with everything.

Kevin

gehoben

Established Member
QUD2

hey mine is QUD2 also.........I think all 03's are the same!!

Hammer

Established Member
Hey, Kevin.

Thanks for the compliment. I feel pretty lucky in that I got a good one...very happy with the preliminary numbers. If my whole project goes like that than 500rwhp shouldn't be a problem for me.

Anyway, I don't know how many computers are out there for these. I was told that the comptuer is revised as the need arises by SVT production. When they find a better tune they revise the computer. This info came from SuperChips directly as I am working with them on the very first successful chip for the 03.

They indicated that they worked on a program for a QUD1 and they hadn't seen a QUD2 before mine. So there must be at least two revisions out now.

But this is all a 'learn-as-you-go' thing for me and I gotta be careful what I say so I don't put my foot in my mouth too often.

I post on this site as soon as I find things out becaues I want to keep everyone up to speed...it's really a great site. But sometimes I am a little off on my facts...I only report what I am told.

I believe Chris at Crazy Horse told me that Evan's 03 for MM&FF had a QU01 computer. You can call him and ask yourself if you want to know more.

That's all I got.
:coolman:

i8u

Established Member
Did you use k&n #0945?
If not wich one?
I'm aboult to go get one.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread