American Airlines is rebranding its image...

346CamaroSS

Established Member
AS ONE OF THE MOST INCOMPETENT AIRLINES IN THE UNITED STATES.

last night I had a red eye from SEA to MIA, 930pm flight which would arrive around 7am local MIA time.

I get to the airport right after work to give me time to grab some drinks and dinner.

830 rolls around and I get to the gate.. and the flight has arrived and its unboarding.

900 rolls around and they haven't started boarding my flight.

930 comes, not a peep from the lady at the kiosk.

Finally at 945 they announce theres a mechanical issue and it will be 30 min delayed, they needed a "transmitter". No problem, we are in SEA TAC of all places, should be easy to get a spare part for a 757.

They say new boarding time is 1030.

1030 comes and we notice the new boarding time is now 1:15am. Awesome.

1045 rolls around, "delayed until 8am".. cue yao ming meme

Everyone is growing incredibly impatient at this point, im on the verge of going crazy.

1100 comes around and they announce the flight is cancelled and to go pick up our bags and go to a ticket counter to rebook our flights.

We then wait an hour for or bags to get dumped off at baggage claim.

Go up to the ticket counter to find one person there dealing with about 100 people. **** that I say..I go home since the new flight is at 8am.

We get to the airport at 630 to find the ticket counter to be retardedly under staffed. That takes an hour to re check in.

Finally we get through security, get to the gate to notice they brought the ****ing wrong plane to the gate.. a 737.

Im now pooping since I don't know what else to do and Allah knows how long this will take.

**** AMERICAN AIRLINES

346CamaroSS

Established Member
You obviously don't fly much - that's nothing.

I actually fly quite a bit domestically...I don't ever fly American, and wont ever again.

Only reason we're on this flight is because it's the only direct flight out of SEA-MIA.

You probably already knew that though.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I actually fly quite a bit domestically...I don't ever fly American, and wont ever again.

Only reason we're on this flight is because it's the only direct flight out of SEA-MIA.

You probably already knew that though.

I've got 400k+ miles on American and sure, I've had flights cancelled. It wouldn't have been a big deal for you except you chose the last flight out of SEA for the day. On AA, anyway.

Not sure it's something I'd flip shit over, but I also have pretty low expectations for the airline industry these days.

flyby763

Established Member
There are countless things that were going on behind the scenes that would have effected any airline, not only AA. Unions workers, sleep requirements for pilots and crew, FAA regulations on fixing the problem.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
There are countless things that were going on behind the scenes that would have effected any airline, not only AA. Unions workers, sleep requirements for pilots and crew, FAA regulations on fixing the problem.

Yup.

It wasn't the flight being cancelled that bothered me the most, It was primarily the unorganized cluster **** that followed suit..

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Can't really blame the airline. If something is broke it's broke. I don't like domestic carriers because they nickel and dime you to death. Get on something like a Lufthansa flight overseas and you'll realize just what service is. Free booze and bags. Can't beat that.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Been on the plane for an hour now sitting next to the runway.

Can't blame the airline you say?

I've only lost one day off vacation due to this. No big deal, this type of service should be expected these days

Last edited:

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Lmao. Yeah double the failure..

US Air (aka US Scare) has aquired American. Unfortunately, USA is the worst airlines I have ever flown on. And I fly 2-3 trips/month, and have been a heavy business traveler for the past 10 yrs. (off & on).

I could write a book on the crazy crap I have seen and dealt with through the TSA and (specifically) US Air. They have earned their piss-poor reputation. Why do you thing they bought AA, and are adopting the "AA" name for the new company. This is almost unheard of in the corporate world.

I have been sticking with AA because of my companies partnership program.

I will say that almost any airlines is 100% better to deal with once you have elite status with them. They at least try to treat you well.

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Just flew with them MIA to BOS last weekend and all went well until I showed up in BOS at 12:15am and they had left about 20 peoples bags in MIA...including mine :nonono:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Been on the plane for an hour now sitting next to the runway.

Can't blame the airline you say?

I've only lost one day off vacation due to this. No big deal, this type of service should be expected these days

Nope. Does the airline control air and ground traffic? Typical American "me" attitude.

Unless they caused the mechanical failure you can't blame the airline.

Last edited:

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
US Air (aka US Scare) has aquired American. Unfortunately, USA is the worst airlines I have ever flown on. And I fly 2-3 trips/month, and have been a heavy business traveler for the past 10 yrs. (off & on).

I could write a book on the crazy crap I have seen and dealt with through the TSA and (specifically) US Air. They have earned their piss-poor reputation. Why do you thing they bought AA, and are adopting the "AA" name for the new company. This is almost unheard of in the corporate world.

I have been sticking with AA because of my companies partnership program.

I will say that almost any airlines is 100% better to deal with once you have elite status with them. They at least try to treat you well.

It doesn't really have anything to do with brand reputation or lack thereof. AA is a much stronger brand, especially internationally. US is virtually unknown outside of the US. That's why the American brand is surviving the merger.

So, it's not so much that US's reputation is *that* bad, more so because AA has a much more valuable, more recognized brand.

It actually happens more often that you think, especially in the airline world. Continental and United's merger was a merger of equals, but Continental's management team eventually took over and kept the United brand as well, because again, it was more widely recognized and more valuable.

Machdup1

Established Member
Coming back from AU one time, I got to Chicago on December 23 and found the fight had been cancelled. Went to the service counter and after a hour or so in line the idiot told me that he could have me home on January 3rd.

I calmly told him no thanks and called my travel agent and was home the next day.

No sense in losing your cool. When you are in a stressful situation, just work the problem. If you hit a road block, find another way.

The other thing I found is that when a ticket agent is stressed out of their mind and is arguing with everyone, just complain about the last person who was rude to them (i.e., "do you have to deal with rude people like that everyday, what a jerk) and kill them with kindness and compassion and ask for help.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
You obviously don't fly much - that's nothing.

I thought the same thing at first before OP cleared it up.

OP, i'm surprised you haven't experienced something similar before. I've had a similar experience as yours(minus the red eye part) with Delta Airlines. Never had a problem with AA.......yet.

Users who are viewing this thread