• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Americans driving to Canada for cheaper insulin

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Kevins89notch, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Kevins89notch

Kevins89notch Well-Known Member Established Member

$34 in Canada, $380 in the U.S.: Minnesotans return from affordable insulin road trip

You can buy a 3-month supply for personal use in Canada without a prescription, and it’s considerably cheaper than in Minnesota.

Families on the trip said they’re having to choose between paying their mortgage or buying insulin to keep them alive.

“This one was purchased in Canada for $34 and this one in the United States for $380,” said Deb Souther, who showed FOX 9 the two vials of insulin she needs to live.

One was purchased on the Canada trip and other is what she can buy with her insurance each month for $346 more.

“Here in the United States, people are having to choose between, ‘Do I pay my rent or do I buy my insulin?’” she added.

Souther was one of the people who made the long journey across the border last week to London, Ontario, which is about 2.5 hours west of Toronto, to pick up her 3-month supply of insulin.

Her husband recently changed jobs, and the cost of insulin with their new insurance sets them back nearly $1,000 a month.

“If I’m a few hours without insulin, I start to feel very sick. If I’m a few days without insulin, I could die,” she said.

How does America let this happen?

2. blk02edge

blk02edge Well-Known Member Established Member

nvm

3. Kevins89notch

4. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

The insulin cost to Americans is flat out extortion that our ****ing pols are being paid handsomely to allow to happen.

VNOMIS, jpro, HudsonFalcon and 3 others like this.
  5. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

Cost of pharmaceuticals must be addressed. This should be a bi-partisan effort.

VNOMIS, mysticsvt, 03Sssnake and 3 others like this.
  6. jeffh81

jeffh81 Never Leaving Established Member

Insurance plans pay damn near everything for insulin and there are plenty of drug plans and aid for diabetics. It runs in my family so Ive seen it

7. Kevins89notch

So you're calling BS on the article?

8. jeffh81

jeffh81 Never Leaving Established Member

Actually Im saying that people doing their due dillegence can and do receive lots of help because it is a disability

lOOKnGO and 03Sssnake like this.
  9. FJohnny

FJohnny Well-Known Member Established Member

Maybe the American insulin tastes 10X better than our Canadian crap.

10. flash0080

flash0080 Active Member Established Member

11. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Hey im happy for those people who can drive over the boarder get the meds they actually need at a cost they can afford.

Kevins89notch likes this.
  12. Corbic

Corbic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Maybe we should just cure diabetes by making corn syrup illegal?

They can ban cocain, so why not another harmful substance?

lOOKnGO likes this.
  13. VRYALT3R3D

VRYALT3R3D Well-Known Member Established Member

The Insulin is "cheap" here so they can gouge you on the diabetes supplies. Also, if the insulin is not available in the US, can't buy it in Canada and export it.

gimmie11s and 03Sssnake like this.
  14. Kevins89notch

From that article: "Just three pharmaceutical companies–Sanofi, Eli Lilly, and Novo Nordisk–manufacture insulin, and they vigorously defend their formulations against cheaper biosimilar versions."

The video I posted up as the 3 post, a news agency questioned one of them as to their price and their official response was something along the lines of "we could lower the price, but there's so many middle men like insurance companies and pharmacies, that the lower price wouldn't make it to the consumer so **** them."

15. SolarYellow

SolarYellow Sensei Premium Member Established Member

16. IronSnake

IronSnake Permanently apathetic Established Member

It's a game

Insurance can charge more to their customers claiming expensive medication and treatment costs.

Pharmas can rake in major medication cash from insurance/people and hand out bonuses/expand/show major financial wealth on the wall street.

The insurance company doesn't want to pay less, because then they'd be reducing COS. If they show too high of a profit on each insurance policy, they could get dinged for it. Pharmas don't want to leave money on the table/show less of a profit/cash flow. So together, they just say "I'm good fam" and pay a thousand bucks for insulin here.

Thing is, if you don't have insurance or your ins isn't in the game, pharmas run the table on you.

me32 likes this.
  17. Kevins89notch

US has similar You can buy some OTC strong allergy pills just fine, but they won't tell you a case as you could be making meth.

To prevent a black market on a drug that does expire, they probably log your purchases and limit you to X amount bought per X days.

18. 03Sssnake

03Sssnake TK-421 Established Member Beer Money Bros.

Netflix has some great documentaries on big pharma, Prescription Thugs, Take your Pills and a little bit on Dirty Money. The industry has hedged their bets by buying up politicians from both parties.

lexustech48, me32, lOOKnGO and 2 others like this.
  19. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

The American healthcare system isn't set up to protect customers from these prices.....we simply don't have any leverage over those companies where as national healthcare systems do. The government can't do anything right so I hate to see them step in anywhere but I hope they can do something in this regard.

lexustech48, me32 and 03Sssnake like this.
  20. Corbic

Corbic Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Half the problem is the sheer amount of government regulation and involvement.

Just look at the insurance companies, where you can only pick from one or two depending on what state you live in.

Look at the way pricing is handled. Same. Visit, same procedure, same event have 15 different hidden costs based one who's paying. Consumers rarely price shop because all we look at is deductible and what doctors are covered.

The epic look level of fraud.

As for Canuckastan, hurray, great cheap insulin, that's not even the same insulin most Americans buy..... But if you get colancancer you either weight 2 years for an operation or go to America and pay out of pocket.