Android Music < iTunes?

TK Doom

Established Member
Serious, not a bash.

For YEARS, i had an Alpine head unit and an iPod. I used a Blackberry phone, company issued. No issues with album art, playlists, nothing, it just WORKS. (the ipod, the phone part comes later)

Fast Forward to 2016, I am searching for my new work car, Fusion Sport, Sync 3, plug in my iPod, it sucked it all in. I was happy.

I don't really care for iPhones, (wife has one, and I own an iPad Mini, it came with my Home Theater as the controller), so i went with Android when my Blackberry died recently.

Got a 140g SD Card and figured i was set for life. Then it hit me...

I can't find a program to manage playlists, maybe i'm just not looking in the right place, but then i found another thing. 1000 file playlist max? What the heck is that? What year are we in?

So this is a bit of a rant, this is a bit of maybe I don't know how to "android" considering I've only been going it for 8 months, or maybe its a cry for help?!

SlySy

My son watches My Little Pony???wtf
Established Member
I use the Google Play Music app. It says it can hold up to 50k songs but I've not tested that so I don't know for sure. I just add songs to the music folder on the phone and they show up in the app, I thought it was easier than dealing with iTunes.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Happy iTunes Music user here.. I have Apple Music with subscription so I don't have to manage anything. It lets me download what I want, keeps playlists downloaded and manages data usage pretty well. The old streaming apps and way of using data to have a music collection used to absorb my 4gb plan in a heart beat. Now I barely touch half.

281CJ

Established Member
I moved from iTunes to Google Music in 2013 and never looked back. No crap software to use, and I get YouTubeRed in my subscription.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I feel your pain, OP. I don't like iPhones, either. I'd rather have no phone than an iPhone. What a PITA to use! But I won't go into a rant on that. I'm a BlackBerry man. People can say what they want about BlackBerry phones, but their built-in media manager apps are phenomenal! EXCEPT on the BlackBerry Android phones!! What a freaking nightmare! I, too, could not find an acceptable media manager. The built-in Android Music app sucks. Google Music sucks just as much, if not more. Try to create a playlist, and either the list or half the songs on the list disappear somewhere into the aether.

I tried BlackBerry Android on the Priv for about a year. I hated it so much that I reactivated my BlackBerry Z10 running BB10 (10.3.3) OS and couldn't be happier. I thought maybe it was just a bad attempt at Android by BlackBerry, but my wife's Galaxy S6 is even worse. After playing with my wife's phone, it actually makes BlackBerry Android look good.

BB10 is definitely a much better and way more cohesive OS than iOS and Android. The only thing "good" about those OSes is the amount of apps available. If developers hadn't turned their backs on BlackBerry, iOS and Android would probably still be a niche market. But I guess it's not as profitable to developers when their apps are unable to rifle through users' personal information to be sold to marketers...

RANT=OFF

TK Doom

Established Member
I use the Google Play Music app. It says it can hold up to 50k songs but I've not tested that so I don't know for sure. I just add songs to the music folder on the phone and they show up in the app, I thought it was easier than dealing with iTunes.

Yes, it can hold 50k songs, but i couldn't get it to upload, kept erroring around 3k.

So i found a way to Right click in Win10 and it will make a play list of everything that is in the directory(ies), but if you want to mix and match directories, forget it. and over 1k in the playlist forget that too.

I guess car guys aren't music guys also, with only 4 replies...LOL =)

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I'm pretty sure you can either play from an SD card or download from an SD card into the cars internal memory and ply your music from there too. It doesn't have to be off of your phone.

TK Doom

Established Member
Google Play > iTunes
Great, a pro-Android person.

How is it better than iTunes? It can't do a playlist greater than 1000 and it has no music manager that works from your PC (that I'm aware of).

if you can solve those issues, i'm with you!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Better than getting RedTube I guess.

Am I the only one that likes Amazon's music player?

Nope. I've found that the Amazon Music app is the only music app that's halfway decent to use on Android. It still has its issues, but it still usually does what I need it to when I use my Android phone to listen to music.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Is it free?

Does it manage music?

I am looking for a music player and I know its not iTunes, but iTunes worked.

Yes, Amazon Music app is free. If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can listen to and download all the music you want at no extra charge. It also has lots of "stations" you can listen to at your leisure with a Prime account. Yes, it can kind of manage your music.

fishpick

Established Member
Yes, Amazon Music app is free. If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can listen to and download all the music you want at no extra charge. It also has lots of "stations" you can listen to at your leisure with a Prime account. Yes, it can kind of manage your music.
Not "exactly" true - Prime gives you a fair amount of "free" music... if you want the full library (like similar to Apple Music or Spotify) you have to pay an additional monthly subscription - just like Apple and Spotify and all the others.

I'd submit to the OP that gone are the days of having your own "library" of music... most of the "newer" apps are really all about streaming your favorites from the cloud... I get that's not what you are looking for - but I think that's why you are finding challenges with Android. The "giant library of my files" approach is what iTunes was initially built around whereas Android and the apps came later on and in a world with connectivity - so the cloud was almost always a foregone conclusion...

TK Doom

Established Member
I'd submit to the OP that gone are the days of having your own "library" of music... most of the "newer" apps are really all about streaming your favorites from the cloud... I get that's not what you are looking for - but I think that's why you are finding challenges with Android. The "giant library of my files" approach is what iTunes was initially built around whereas Android and the apps came later on and in a world with connectivity - so the cloud was almost always a foregone conclusion...

Yes, that is exactly my problem!

Gravik

Established Member
I've had an s4 and now an s6 and I still haven't used the music player lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread