Annoying Squeak/Squeal coming under the Hood

sweetlou1182

Established Member
Hi Folks!

I know it is near impossible to pinpoint an engine bay squeal over a message board but I am hopeful and looking for ideas. I have a very annoying squeal that comes on when I start the car. It quiets down once I am driving for a few minutes but doesn't seem to fully go away. It seems to only be heard at low speeds as well.

This summer I replaced the serpentine belt, tensioner and the bearing on the aux idler kit. The upper and lower pulleys have about 5k mileage on them. Same with the supercharger belt which is a gates blue.

Car is just about to go away for the winter anyway but I'd like to try to figure out what is causing this damn squealing!

Thanks!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
A bad idler bearing is tough to narrow down. I'd pull the supercharger belt and see if it goes away. Then focus on the which drive system the noise is coming from. Don't overlook the supercharger as being a possibility either.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
For me:

I had a low sounding "hum/squeal" resonating inside my GT500 in the driver seat while driving and when I shut the motor off, the sound seamed to "wind down".... I found it was the intercooler circulating pump that is taking a dump on me....

Just a thought....

merkyworks

Established Member
For me:

I had a low sounding "hum/squeal" resonating inside my GT500 in the driver seat while driving and when I shut the motor off, the sound seamed to "wind down".... I found it was the intercooler circulating pump that is taking a dump on me....

Just a thought....

I hear something kind of like this every once in a while, you have to really be listening for it cause it's very subtle. I thought it was maybe the HE fans or the radiator fan just winding down, never considered it could be the HE pump.

fullboogie

Established Member
^^^ Yes! Your thread is what got me going on figuring out my problem. Thanks again for the great info in that thread, as well as all the help you provided in testing parts. You're a good guy Willie.

Users who are viewing this thread