Another Build Thread

deepblue13

Established Member
It has been a little over two months since I ventured down having a shortblock built, and then added the rest of the components to create a long block. Here is a thread I will keep updated now that the car has been dropped off and almost everything is ready to ship. The goal for the car is to compete in the Texas Mile and 1/2 Mile Events. I will be building a new car for strictly 1/4 Mile.

Started with a donor 5.4 aluminum block from Billet Pro Shop and had it shipped to the guys at L&M Engines.

All work being performed at Kinetik Motorsports in Houston and tuned by Lund.

Build Consist of:

Ductile Iron Sleeves
Polished Crankshaft (Double Keyed for balancer)
Diamond custom pistons
Manley Pro I Beam Billet Rods
King Bearings/ARP Hardware
Super Cobra Jet Oil Pump w/ Billet Gears
ATI 10% Lower
L&M Ported Heads
TSS Billet Crank Sprocket
4V HD Secondary Chains and Reversed Right Secondary Tensioner
Modified HD Left side secondary tensioner
Billet Tensioner Arms
Ferrea Super Alloy Valves
Titanium Retainers
Custom Grind Cams

RPM TR6060 Level VII Transmission w/ Holley SFI Bellhousing
Built 8.8 rearend
4.0 Whipple w/ 3.125 Pulley

Block Resized.jpg
Assembly Resized.jpg
Head Resized 2.jpg
Head Resized.jpg

Last edited:

deepblue13

Established Member
Update 1/27/17:

Motor has shipped from L&M as of yesterday; Transmission received from RPM and ice tank fabrication on going. Tank off to powder coating, then return from completion.
Ice Tank.jpg

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Wow! Nice build! Amazing how much loot some guys have on this site! Lol. Looks great brother. Should rip when they have it done!

Bad Company

Established Member
If you want this motor to survive. Replace the cam bolts with ARP bolts and torque them to 110 lb-ft with red loctite. I see Michael hasn't learned anything from my engine failure and the fact the cam bolt loosened with 5 hours and 325 miles of run time.

I'm looking at your second picture of the assembled long block. Michael used the OEM 12mm cam bolts from the earlier 4V engines, instead of the much stronger aftermarket ARP bolts. The OEM bolts can't be torque above 92 lb-ft if I remember correctly as they'll stretch

deepblue13

Established Member
Good call, I am going to call the guys at the shop this morning and have them replaced before they set new engine. Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread