Another clutch problem

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Looks like the car is going back to the dealer again.

Throwout bearing is going bad (squealing a lot and getting worse).

I also have a concern with the clutch cable. At least I think that's what it is. It creaks and makes horrible noise, especially when it's cooler outside. Anyone else have this problem?

I know others have had issues with the throwout bearing. Hope I don't get any flak for it.

I really hate taking my car to the dealership. :(

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
First 1,000 miles I had some clutch chatter/shudder and pulsing in the pedal. After 2,000 miles and some slip-clutch launches, it has virtually disappeared. If the clutch is very hot, it will exhibit some shudder, however, all vibration/pulsing in the pedal is gone...

Good luck with the dealership, Tracy.

Silver 03 Cobra

I got my 03 on June 10 and had TOB sqeaul three weeks later. I took it to the dealer to report it and told them I'd take it back later. This weekend I smelled my clutch at the track and decided to get the TOB replaced and see if the dealer would throw on a Spec clutch while they had the trans out. I called and they said no problem.

My buddies 03 is at the dealer for the cable problem and they had the trans out and they're installing a Spec. You really ought to go ahead and get one if you are going to race even a little or do mods that get over 450 rwhp. Free installation.

46stang

Established Member
my tob was making noise also! I think it's ford's new vender! I put a new clutch in my old gt and within 5000miles the dang noise happened!(was never there before) my 03 cobra has 5000 miles on it and it's making noise! so what i do is take the inspection cover off and spray the tob with white grease. the noise goes away for about 5000miles or so then you repeat! I just want to totally kill my clutch before having to pull the trans! kind of lazy. I would almost recommend getting an aftermarket tob especially if your upgrading the clutch! jmho.
Leon

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by 46stang
my tob was making noise also! I think it's ford's new vender! I put a new clutch in my old gt and within 5000miles the dang noise happened!(was never there before) my 03 cobra has 5000 miles on it and it's making noise! so what i do is take the inspection cover off and spray the tob with white grease. the noise goes away for about 5000miles or so then you repeat! I just want to totally kill my clutch before having to pull the trans! kind of lazy. I would almost recommend getting an aftermarket tob especially if your upgrading the clutch! jmho.
Leon

ok, I'm not very good w/ mechanics or terminology so keep that in mind as you read this.... I was having the same loud squeel problem. Except this would only happen after I'd get on it (reving high w/ lots of boost) and then push the clutch peddal in while at a dead stop.

I took it to a dealer to have them fix it. They replaced the TOB but less than 1000 miles later the noise returned. That was at about 5000 miles. For the next 5000 miles it progresivly became worse but I'd ignore it.

Then at 10000 miles I took it to another dealer and test drove it with one of the mechanics so they could reproduce the problem. I got the car back later that same day. The washed & detailed, oil changed, lubed, tires rotated, blah blah, and... no more squeel.

Here is what the mechanic explained to me. He says that it sounded like the TOB but if that were the case then it shouldn't be squeeling when the clutch pedal was pushed down. But then he began speculating that it could be the "forked thingy" w/ "fingers" that the TOB bearing rides/rests against. They checked this and found it to be lightly rusted. They put some metalic grease on it and now the probelm is gone.

I suspect this is nearly the same fix that you made, 46stang. I'm wondering if replacing the TOB with an aftermarket one would have any affect in solving this squeeling noise. Maybe it's this "forked finger" thingy that is the culprit.

I apologize for my non-mechanical terminology... hope it makes sense.

:beer:

2003 Cobra

Established Member
The throwout bearing works when the clutch pedal is pressed. When the clutch pedal is up, there is no pressure on the throwout bearing and the bearing should make no noise. Usually if there is a noise when the clutch pedal is pressed, the problem is the throwout bearing. If there is a noise when the clutch pedal is up, the problem is the pilot bearing. Stiff clutches, such as the 03, will put excessive pressure on the throwout bearing when the clutch pedal is pressed.

I can't stand my 03 clutch and have a Centerforce Dual Friction setup coming. My current clutch shudders on takeoff and is too stiff. I just hope the Centerforce will last, at least, a couple of years without problems.

david smilovic

Established Member
Ditto get yourself the Spec stage 3 it will hold 550+ rrwhp and mine when done in Dec already has 3-400 miles,I use them in all my cars.For a great price xmotorsports.com ask for Mike,you will be happy order just clutch and T.O.B. the stock flywheel is perfect.Dave S.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by david smilovic
Ditto get yourself the Spec stage 3 it will hold 550+ rrwhp and mine when done in Dec already has 3-400 miles,I use them in all my cars.For a great price xmotorsports.com ask for Mike,you will be happy order just clutch and T.O.B. the stock flywheel is perfect.Dave S.

Cool, Thanks Dave! I will get the Spec stage 3 if/when the squeel comes back.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the input.
I have a free clutch/installation coming compliments of the dealership. I need to talk to them about it being something other than stock. :rolleyes: I'm more than happy to pay for the difference...I hope they go for it.

silvercoffin

Established Member
my new clutch

I already have a new clutch but I dont know if it was my lack of tire spinnage during a smoky burnout (smoked the clutch..) or if something was wrong with it. I smoked it once and it was done kept getting worse until I had a Private Mustang Shop install the Ford Racing CLutch....feel easier to press down but is great for the track...(the hell with dealers didnt want another 25 mile test drive)

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I have 6000 miles on my car, and I have noticed the pulsating clutch problem occuring a few times over the last few hundred miles. I don't know what the problem is, but if it keeps it up I am going to bring it to the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread