Another dead Coyote - VMP TVS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPRsm

What difference does the ecu make? That's the main point sir, it makes all the difference. You are showing examples from cars over 10-15 years old using very simply ecu systems. Unti you realize this I am wasting my time trying to even discuss this.
Hell that was just the first example I saw. Remember, 2 minute google search.
You're just stuck on the ecu correcting. Please point out where I said it COULDN'T do that. You mean when you lowered inlet temps and the computer compensated for it and it picked up power? Whaaaaa? You're making a point that wasn't being argued. I know I said it wasn't as big of a deal on these ecus (for the forth time now). But ecus don't have to be old. Are 2010 Ford ecus tuned closed loop at WOT? My GT500 is open loop at WOT. It's only 4 years old. Turn off your multipliers and force open loop and see if it's the same. The only point was there was a potential for power loss if you set it and forget it. I show it's entirely possible and you bring up archaic ecus. Now it's not a discussion of whether it's POSSIBLE, but it's the computers fault. It's just like any other part you put on. The gains are better met when you tell the ecu exactly what to expect.
There are so many more variables here not even discussed. Like fuel distribution of a liquid an efi intake designed to only flow air. Especially on a PD blower where it's shot thru the intercooler and the blower tries to push all the air to the back of the intake. What happens when the ecu advances timing (if there is any left in the timing tables) and the distribution is lopsided? No worries, the super advanved ecu will fix all of it. If that was possible we wouldn't have a board littered with complaints of tunes would we? If they were so self reliant and godly why are so many more blowing up than ever before?

Last edited:

Laloosh

Established Member
Fuel distribution was also not a problem on my old platform. I had the ability to control individual cylinder timing and correction:). I will reply back to your post once I get off the phone. But like I said replace google with first hand experience and you might learn what works an what doesn't it. Tuning for meth on a street car is retarded cause the fail safes suck. You are going to rely on a Mickey Mouse meth kit to save your engine incase of meth failure? Befor I continue do even have any experience with running meth first hand?
Btw being old an using old tech are not the same.

Last edited:

CPRsm

These will do individual fueling and timing as well. But not on it's own, it's only bank to bank O2, even then it's about worthless. It's only an average of four cylinders. Individual cyl changes are still something you have to change in the tune. Won't do it on its own. Yet again, the google references were for your benefit because you wanted proof. I've been tooning probably longer than most shops on this board. I have plenty of experience first hand. I'm not making it up as I go. I don't like meth BECAUSE of my experiences and their inherent POSSIBLE problems.

Guys now are spoiled. Old school tech and old school methods go hand and hand. I still check plugs on coyotes. Knock sensor don't tell you if the plug is the right heat range, or what the cyl temperature or fueling is. All things your stock computer can't tell you.

NickSezz

Established Member
Fuel distribution was also not a problem on my old platform. I had the ability to control individual cylinder timing and correction:). I will reply back to your post once I get off the phone. But like I said replace google with first hand experience and you might learn what works an what doesn't it. Tuning for meth on a street car is retarded cause the fail safes suck. You are going to rely on a Mickey Mouse meth kit to save your engine incase of meth failure? Befor I continue do even have any experience with running meth first hand?
Btw being old an using old tech are not the same.

FYI...When you "Google Images" "Mickey Mouse meth kit" a whole bunch of really lame looking VW cars show up :-D

Last edited:

Laloosh

Established Member
These will do individual fueling and timing as well. But not on it's own, it's only bank to bank O2, even then it's about worthless. It's only an average of four cylinders. Individual cyl changes are still something you have to change in the tune. Won't do it on its own. Yet again, the google references were for your benefit because you wanted proof. I've been tooning probably longer than most shops on this board. I have plenty of experience first hand. I'm not making it up as I go. I don't like meth BECAUSE of my experiences and their inherent POSSIBLE problems.

Guys now are spoiled. Old school tech and old school methods go hand and hand. I still check plugs on coyotes. Knock sensor don't tell you if the plug is the right heat range, or what the cyl temperature or fueling is. All things your stock computer can't tell you.

The google references are irrelevant to this platform. So if you don't like meth why do you suggest tuning for it? As for we are spoiled, I don't think we are spoiled, I prefer lucky. I don't check plugs when tuning or rely on the knock sensor. On the BMW I tapped the knock sensor and the signal was converted and plug into the USB of radio, nothing like hearing ever noise during combustion :). Either way bottom line like I said in post one. Tuning for meth on this car is not required.

Established Member
Where is VMP

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

CPRsm

The google references are irrelevant to this platform.
My reference wasn't for this platform. It merely backed up the statement I made of losing power when it's added without compensation. Regardless of platform.
That point was made and you brought up platform/ecu.

So if you don't like meth why do you suggest tuning for it?
Might as well do it "right" if you're going to spend money on it.

As for we are spoiled, I don't think we are spoiled, I prefer lucky. I don't check plugs when tuning or rely on the knock sensor. On the BMW I tapped the knock sensor and the signal was converted and plug into the USB of radio, nothing like hearing ever noise during combustion :).
You're ass is spoiled lol. Generally go by the saying "If you can hear the detonation it's already too late." Same applies for knock sensors in my opinion. Either tuner rely on them too much or the don't take it serious enough. Although really curious when hooked up like that what you'd see on the plugs compared to what you heard.

Either way bottom line like I said in post one. Tuning for meth on this car is not required.
I never said it wasn't required on this car. I didn't say it wouldn't compensate. I did say you could lose power if it was sprayed and not compensated for. I did say I'd prefer not to let it think on its own. Telling me this ecu changes tune for it on its own didn't really discredit what I said. Then it became semantics on whether the tuner did it or the ecu. Instead you try to discredit my knowledge and post a car that makes less half the rwhp power I make on pure pump gas.

Still waiting on an answer to the inlet temps and link. I could show my graphs of first hand experience of the same if I really had to though. It just required more work than I was willing to do.

mhyjek

Established Member
Methanol is a band aid for improper intercooling. For it NOT to kill power you need to add timing, then you're still back in the same boat (adding timing and knowing where to stop), and now you have another possible problem in the mix. Run out of meth, pump locks up, map sensor fails, injector clogs, etc. You get the point lol. We've made so many 650rwhp+ pulls on shitty Ca 91 it might make you puke lol Even raced on 750rwhp+ tunes. Car still ran 10's and get great gas mileage.
Was talking to someone yesterday about it and he brought up a good point. These engines are 11-1 compression and can't be forgot. A very small tuning window. And some aren't peoples DD's. They might jump back in a car after sitting too long and think the tank is still holding fresh 91-93. Eh, point is you don't have to be so conservative you wash cylinder walls. But do need to know the difference between dyno timing and track timing, especially with FI cars. Where it needs to be pulled and where you can add it. Off my soap box now.
Not exactly what you said...

Established Member
Where is the original poster

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Laloosh

Established Member
My reference wasn't for this platform. It merely backed up the statement I made of losing power when it's added without compensation. Regardless of platform.
That point was made and you brought up platform/ecu.

Might as well do it "right" if you're going to spend money on it.

You're ass is spoiled lol. Generally go by the saying "If you can hear the detonation it's already too late." Same applies for knock sensors in my opinion. Either tuner rely on them too much or the don't take it serious enough. Although really curious when hooked up like that what you'd see on the plugs compared to what you heard.

I never said it wasn't required on this car. I didn't say it wouldn't compensate. I did say you could lose power if it was sprayed and not compensated for. I did say I'd prefer not to let it think on its own. Telling me this ecu changes tune for it on its own didn't really discredit what I said. Then it became semantics on whether the tuner did it or the ecu. Instead you try to discredit my knowledge and post a car that makes less half the rwhp power I make on pure pump gas.

Still waiting on an answer to the inlet temps and link. I could show my graphs of first hand experience of the same if I really had to though. It just required more work than I was willing to do.

Inlet temps was answered. It will cause no problems as it will hit ambient at best. The link? The supra link with an irrelevant ecu and unknown meth kit/content/nozzle or anything else that is important?

CPRsm

He has the perfect gateway since this thread is being hijacked like crazy!
This thread has more tech in it than probably any thread on the first two pages of this section. Not terribly hard with the sales and "What rims?" threads. A lot the "OT" pertains directly to this threads subject.

Not exactly what you said...

Explain the confusion. What am I missing? Says right there if it's not tuned it will kill power. Letting the ecu do the tune is half ass, but that's me.

You guys know on this platform if the ecu corrects too much it starts clipping power right?

Inlet temps was answered. It will cause no problems as it will hit ambient at best. The link? The supra link with an irrelevant ecu and unknown meth kit/content/nozzle or anything else that is important?
Before that. Posted a link where just dropping temps overly richened the afr's. The air to water on the intake that dropped inlets to 82 degrees. The link the muscle mustang write up. Pretty sure I put it in there. Meh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread