Another DFX bites the dust

fast440

Established Member
Has les than 500 miles and 2 passes at the track. Anyone else with similas DFX issues?
clutch004.jpg
[/IMG]

fast440

Established Member
whippleblown03 said:
wow

i got 1000 miles and about 30 passes in it hooks hard! did you do a new flywheel at the same time?
Did a brand new Fidanza aluminum when i did the clutch. Luckily you can replace the friction plate on the Fidanza flywheel. Otherwise i would need another new flywheel too. :rollseyes

rmgtc01

Established Member
Pieces of junk. I had gone through 2 of them with vibe issues. I had Ford install.
Ford blamed Centerforce and Centerforce blamed Ford. Never felt right and I got nowhere with it. Lethal Performance helped me out the best they could even though Centerforce was reluctant to call back let alone even talk to me that long about it. Customer Service was garbage. At least I got the labor for free at Ford and Lethal gave me one at cost, but it still sucked and I was out a good chunk of change.

whippleblown03

Established Member
man that sucks. you can see what my car runs in my signature. it chatters when cold but otherwise its holding up so far for me. i installed mine my self . if it fails i dont no what i will try next. most people here on the board have had good results! do you try to slip it?

fast440

Established Member
I bought it from Lethal . Gonna call them monday and see what they can do as well as calling Centerforce themselves . I was told on Modfords to ask for Will and he will help. Anyway i am thinking of going with a SPEC 5 . I need to decide whether to use my Fidanza flywheel and replace the friction plate or put in a steel flywheel. Any body running a steel? :read:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Very reassuring since I have on in my living room going in on saturday... hope it does well for daily driving atleast...

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
03yllwguy said:
Very reassuring since I have on in my living room going in on saturday... hope it does well for daily driving atleast...

I just did the dfx/input shaft/bf irs brace/bushigns install a couple days ago on my car. It went together fairly easily, no problems. The clutch is a little chatty taking off from a stop, but im quickly learning how to take off with little to no noise. It deffinately engages much sharper than the stock unit.

Dont be afraid of it, git'r dun!! :rockon:

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
fast440 said:
Has les than 500 miles and 2 passes at the track. Anyone else with similas DFX issues?
clutch004.jpg
[/IMG]

What kind of numbers are you turning in your car, Fast440? I was about to go with the same setup from Lethal, but I dont want this to happen at all! Im well over 650 to the wheels at this point.

rmgtc01

Established Member
Jdaniel said:
What kind of numbers are you turning in your car, Fast440? I was about to go with the same setup from Lethal, but I dont want this to happen at all! Im well over 650 to the wheels at this point.

The DFX is like Russian Roulette or a box of chocolates....you never know what your gonna get. I would go a different route or you will be tempting fate. (insert creepy howl here)

fast440

Established Member
Dfx

Jdaniel said:
Last time on the dyno it made 672, i have actually turned the boost down a little since then should be around 650 still. On the street it worked great. The chatter is not really that bad (To me) But i noticed when i put the DR's on and powershifted it i felt a slip. But i thought it was my imagination. Well i was taking the tranny out over the weekend and saw the my pilot bearing looked crappy, so i took the clutch out and saw that . I was really suprised because i just drove it a few days before and it felt fine normal driving. So actually coming from me i would not recommend it , but that is just my opinion with my experience with it. I am taking some other peoples advice and going with a Spec 5 Hope it works out for me. Especially since i dont race the car at the track much . Mostly just get hammered on the street. Good luck with whatever you choose also.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Did you let it break in at all before you beat on it?

Most clutches need 1000 miles to break in properly.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
scaring me....Mines being worked looked at today after less than 1,000 miles. My TOB was screaming and my pedal was engaging right off the floor. I also got a vibe in my clutch pedal.

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
There are storys like this for every clutch on the market.
Hundreds of cobras running around with excellent results from the DFX. Don't let this thread scare you it's all good in the hood.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
newbreed77 said:
There are storys like this for every clutch one the market.
Hundreds of cobras running around with excellent results from the DFX. Don't let this thread scare you it's all good in the hood.

Exactly.

Don't even think that clutch was broken in properly.

That is a poor example of break in procedure.

If its not a Sintered Metal clutch it has a break in period.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
My clutch plate is worn more than normal for an easy 1000 miles.... My TOB was screaming! I'm putting in a Mcleod, new clutchplate, pilot bearing, and TOB. Shit happens.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
fast440 said:
I bought it from Lethal . Gonna call them monday and see what they can do as well as calling Centerforce themselves . I was told on Modfords to ask for Will and he will help. Anyway i am thinking of going with a SPEC 5 . I need to decide whether to use my Fidanza flywheel and replace the friction plate or put in a steel flywheel. Any body running a steel? :read:

They didn't do anything for me...I just got of the phone with them. $225 plus shipping for a new clutch plate.

Users who are viewing this thread