Another DFX bites the dust

fast440

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Exactly.

Don't even think that clutch was broken in properly.

That is a poor example of break in procedure.

If its not a Sintered Metal clutch it has a break in period.
Yea some people have different views on break ins with clutches. I actually have only had one auto in any of my cars my whole life and that was in my SSO car (87 GT). I have had everything from TKO600's to Jerico 4 speed clutch and clutchless to g-force 5 speed and a clutchlees Liberty and it seems to be when all the components are new , flywheel, clutch disc, Pressure plate ect... Break in is not required. There are many different opinions on this subject but that is just mine. Actually way back when i had a Jerico 4 speed clutchless It had a single disc McCleod . As soon as it was put in the car . The very first 5 passes the clutch slipped terrible all the way down the track. After we adjusted it to put more pressure on it and the finally hung more static weight on it . I probably put another 120 passes on the car before i took it out . No break in and i burned the hell out of it before i got it right. (was the first adjustable clutch i had) and no damage to it. No going to bore everyone with all my other clutch stories but my opinion on clutch break in is. Put it in and let it fly. If it breaks then, it was gonna break 500 miles later also. Thanks for everyones responses , keep them coming Thanks Tony

fast440

Established Member
Directy from LETHAL PERFORMANCE

VirtualSVT said:
Exactly.

BoostAddict
Lethal Performance, Inc.

Re: dfx question? Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_shadow_03ver
I am just wandering if there is a break in period for these? Did not have all paperwork for clutch. I am supposed to drop off with James @ RWTD
on wens. and my clutch died last week. Luckily I ordered my brother a new clutch and stole his its a 26 spline dfx pressure plate, disc and Hays billet flywheel. Got it installed and have only 3 miles now. Thanks for your time.
Randy

Randy,

No break in required on the DFX!!! Drive it like you stole it. Good Luck. Jared@Lethal

LETHAL PERFORMANCE, INC.
http://www.lethalperformance.com
877-2LETHAL
http://www.myspace.com/lethalperformance
Largest Whipple Distributor in the USA
BilletFlows #1 Distributor
Centerforce DFX Always in STOCK!

fast440

Established Member
Will Baty from CENTERFORCE

VirtualSVT said:
Exactly.

Centerforce DFX Clutch Prototype is in: Initial Impressions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spent the day with Hermann and James. Man, I always enjoy myself tremendously hanging out with those guys. They did the install of the new Centerforce 6-puck clutch with DFX material. The install was fast and perfect. Plus, James (Hermann's mechanic) fixed more things with my car. I highly recommend Hermann for any and all work!!

When Will Baty of Centerforce developed this clutch, he and I had a long conversation about it. He explained to me that there would be two clutch designs using Centerforce's new DFX material: a 6-puck and a dual friction. His speculation was that the dual friction would be more streetable but the 6-puck would hold huge power and toruqe, such as twin-screw Cobras produce. But he felt that the 6-puck clutch would have race clutch characteristics...grabby and some chatter.

The clutch that I have is the 6-puck DFX. The frictional material is more on the metallic side as opposed to the existing Centerforce Dual Friction clutches for the Cobras; which use an organic frictional material. DFX is very metallic but is not sintered iron. However, like sintered iron, it requires no break-in driving (a HUGE plus).

This new clutch is also several pounds lighter than the existing dual friction organic clutch system - approximately 6 lbs less rotating mass on the crank.

When the guys at HBH finished the clutch and brought it off of the lift, James took the car for a test drive. He got back and was amazed! He was very impressed by the clutch.

Then I got in. For starters, the petal pressure felt as though my clutch cable was disconnected. I can't believe how light of pressure this clutch has!! It's twice as light as a stock Cobra clutch. Also, the petal travel is only about 8-10 inches for full clutch operation.

I pulled out and...WOW!! Will Baty speculated that there would be drivability sacrifices with this clutch. There are NONE!!! It's smooth as silk with no chatter whatsoever. It's grabby but not like a race clutch. It's a little grabby like a clutch SHOULD be...like one that you know is working.

The lowered rotating mass was evident immediately. The car easily spools up to 100 MPH with part throttle and very little effort. And the clutch action is awesome! I hit the highway and banged some gears. There's no slip anywhere in sight. The clutch didn't flinch at all.

I went back to Hermann's shop and he hopped in. He drove it easy and got on it good. He came back and said that he was truly impressed with the clutch. Hermann hasn't been able to find a clutch solution for us stick guys with big, big power Cobras. I think that Centerforce has just reinstilled faith in Hermann. He was very happy with the way my car ran.

When I left Hermann's and drove from Baltimore MD area back to the Jersey shore, I put the clutch through it's paces. What a FUN drive home!!! The car felt like it picked up another 50 HP from this clutch. Dialing the car up to 130-plus MPH was no effort whatsoever.

No break-in and instant HARD driving. Not a single hint of burnt disk smell...not a flinch out of this clutch.

I'm very excited about this piece and very happy to report that this is hands-down the best clutch I've ever experienced.

Survey says.....we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

I reported back to Will Baty. He is very pleased with the results. He said that the clutch will be available for purchase within a week. The part number will be released when the clutch is released for sale to the public...very soon!!

My recommendation to anyone: this clutch is a no-brainer. There's nothing else on the market that comes remotely close to this piece. Plus, this 6-puck is smooth and awesome. I wouldn't even worry about the dual friction version. THIS is the clutch to have!!

2003 SVT Cobra
Kenne Bell Blowzilla, Superchips Custom Tuning, JDM/Kooks Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers and Catted H-Pipe, Siemens Deka 55 lb. injectors, SCT/Hitachi 2400 CFM MAF, KB BAP, NGK TR-6's, KB/Accufab Throttle Body, JDM Idler, JDM 12" Filter, Hurst Line Locks, Raptor Shift Light, BFG 275/40/17 Drag Radials

715 RWHP, 705 RWTQ STD @ 26 PSI Boost on Race Gas

10.72 @ 133 MPH @ 650 RWHP, driven by Evan Smith

"The things you seek are seeking you."

Last edited by Hammer : 03-31-2005 at 10:33 PM.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah I don't really care about what they say.

Clutch Breakin is a basic. You don't throw new pads and rotors on and then go racing.

Same with clutches.

fast440

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Yeah I don't really care about what they say.

Clutch Breakin is a basic. You don't throw new pads and rotors on and then go racing.

Same with clutches.
Thats your opinion , I have mine and on a clutch that is going to be raced. No break in is required. If its going to slip its gonna slip when you first beat on it or 500 miles later . What ever you choose. Anyway good luck with what ever you choose to do Thanks Tony

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Its basic. If its an organic material it needs to be seated fully.

Anything that you expect to last needs to be broken in.

fast440

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Its basic. If its an organic material it needs to be seated fully.

Anything that you expect to last needs to be broken in.
Sure i know its basic and its gonna seat as soon as you let the clutch out. Also the DFX clutch disc is not organic material. Its metallic . Much different than most street clutches that you may want to take your time to break in if your looking to get 100,000 driving miles out of it, But for a car like these 03-04 cobras nobody is putting in a clutch like that. If they are they might as well put the stock clutch back in it and drive it under 55mph .

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
fast440 said:
Sure i know its basic and its gonna seat as soon as you let the clutch out. Also the DFX clutch disc is not organic material. Its metallic . Much different than most street clutches that you may want to take your time to break in if your looking to get 100,000 driving miles out of it, But for a car like these 03-04 cobras nobody is putting in a clutch like that. If they are they might as well put the stock clutch back in it and drive it under 55mph .

So the clutch that wore out is the DFX and now you are promoting the 6 puck disc from Centerforce? How does the grab feel with the new clutch? Is it pretty streetable? I may look into this one also.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
fast440 said:
Centerforce DFX Clutch Prototype is in: Initial Impressions

Spent the day with Hermann and James. Man, I always enjoy myself tremendously hanging out with those guys. They did the install of the new Centerforce 6-puck clutch with DFX material. The install was fast and perfect. Plus, James (Hermann's mechanic) fixed more things with my car. I highly recommend Hermann for any and all work!!

When Will Baty of Centerforce developed this clutch, he and I had a long conversation about it. He explained to me that there would be two clutch designs using Centerforce's new DFX material: a 6-puck and a dual friction. His speculation was that the dual friction would be more streetable but the 6-puck would hold huge power and toruqe, such as twin-screw Cobras produce. But he felt that the 6-puck clutch would have race clutch characteristics...grabby and some chatter.

The clutch that I have is the 6-puck DFX. The frictional material is more on the metallic side as opposed to the existing Centerforce Dual Friction clutches for the Cobras; which use an organic frictional material. DFX is very metallic but is not sintered iron. However, like sintered iron, it requires no break-in driving (a HUGE plus).

This new clutch is also several pounds lighter than the existing dual friction organic clutch system - approximately 6 lbs less rotating mass on the crank.

When the guys at HBH finished the clutch and brought it off of the lift, James took the car for a test drive. He got back and was amazed! He was very impressed by the clutch.

Then I got in. For starters, the petal pressure felt as though my clutch cable was disconnected. I can't believe how light of pressure this clutch has!! It's twice as light as a stock Cobra clutch. Also, the petal travel is only about 8-10 inches for full clutch operation.

I pulled out and...WOW!! Will Baty speculated that there would be drivability sacrifices with this clutch. There are NONE!!! It's smooth as silk with no chatter whatsoever. It's grabby but not like a race clutch. It's a little grabby like a clutch SHOULD be...like one that you know is working.

The lowered rotating mass was evident immediately. The car easily spools up to 100 MPH with part throttle and very little effort. And the clutch action is awesome! I hit the highway and banged some gears. There's no slip anywhere in sight. The clutch didn't flinch at all.

I went back to Hermann's shop and he hopped in. He drove it easy and got on it good. He came back and said that he was truly impressed with the clutch. Hermann hasn't been able to find a clutch solution for us stick guys with big, big power Cobras. I think that Centerforce has just reinstilled faith in Hermann. He was very happy with the way my car ran.

When I left Hermann's and drove from Baltimore MD area back to the Jersey shore, I put the clutch through it's paces. What a FUN drive home!!! The car felt like it picked up another 50 HP from this clutch. Dialing the car up to 130-plus MPH was no effort whatsoever.

No break-in and instant HARD driving. Not a single hint of burnt disk smell...not a flinch out of this clutch.

I'm very excited about this piece and very happy to report that this is hands-down the best clutch I've ever experienced.

Survey says.....we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

I reported back to Will Baty. He is very pleased with the results. He said that the clutch will be available for purchase within a week. The part number will be released when the clutch is released for sale to the public...very soon!!

My recommendation to anyone: this clutch is a no-brainer. There's nothing else on the market that comes remotely close to this piece. Plus, this 6-puck is smooth and awesome. I wouldn't even worry about the dual friction version. THIS is the clutch to have!!

2003 SVT Cobra
Kenne Bell Blowzilla, Superchips Custom Tuning, JDM/Kooks Stainless Steel Long Tube Headers and Catted H-Pipe, Siemens Deka 55 lb. injectors, SCT/Hitachi 2400 CFM MAF, KB BAP, NGK TR-6's, KB/Accufab Throttle Body, JDM Idler, JDM 12" Filter, Hurst Line Locks, Raptor Shift Light, BFG 275/40/17 Drag Radials

715 RWHP, 705 RWTQ STD @ 26 PSI Boost on Race Gas

10.72 @ 133 MPH @ 650 RWHP, driven by Evan Smith

"The things you seek are seeking you."

Last edited by Hammer : 03-31-2005 at 10:33 PM.

Sorry maybe I missed something...isn't the pic of the worn one a 6-puck DFX? Whats the difference? I know they changed the DFX clutch plate a couple months ago...you telling me they have changed it again?

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
phillySVT said:
Sorry maybe I missed something...isn't the pic of the worn one a 6-puck DFX? Whats the difference? I know they changed the DFX clutch plate a couple months ago...you telling me they have changed it again?

Exactly what I was thinking also. Please explain the differences.

fast440

Established Member
No i am not promoting the DFX

Jdaniel said:
So the clutch that wore out is the DFX and now you are promoting the 6 puck disc from Centerforce? How does the grab feel with the new clutch? Is it pretty streetable? I may look into this one also.
I was just posting some reviews from other people that actually sell the DFX setup like Lethal Performance , D'agastino Racing , and they tell you that it DOES NOT need break in . Even Centerforce will tell you that it does not require break in.I pasted and posted these responses only because someone posted that i obviously did not break the clutch in properly . I copied them from modularfords . Thanks Tony Sorry for the misunderstanding

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
fast440 said:
I was just posting some reviews from other people that actually sell the DFX setup like Lethal Performance , D'agastino Racing , and they tell you that it DOES NOT need break in . Even Centerforce will tell you that it does not require break in.I pasted and posted these responses only because someone posted that i obviously did not break the clutch in properly . I copied them from modularfords . Thanks Tony Sorry for the misunderstanding

ok..cuase I had the newer one installed....mine wore out prematurly becuase of other problems in my trans with the TOB retainer sleeve. I don't think my clutch was disengaging. It would catch right off the floor when it started acting funny. So I don't think it's any fault of Centerforce.

davidsk5018

Established Member
I had a DFX clutch do the same thing to me as this guy. Centerforce warranty gave me a new one, although they didn't want to. I went to a RAM and it has been great so far.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
phillySVT said:
They didn't do anything for me...I just got of the phone with them. $225 plus shipping for a new clutch plate.
I have an almost new (300 miles) DFX 26 spline disk I'll sell you for $150. shipped. I took it off and replaced it with an LM disk because it was a little to much chatter for daily driving in traffic. Otherwise, it's good.
deck003.jpg

sb03cobra

Established Member
badboy said:
I have an almost new (300 miles) DFX 26 spline disk I'll sell you for $150. shipped. I took it off and replaced it with an LM disk because it was a little to much chatter for daily driving in traffic. Otherwise, it's good.

How's the LM? I need a clutch soon and have been looking at the LM.

Last edited:

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
sb03cobra said:
badboy said:

How's the LM? I need a clutch soon and have been looking at the LM.
The LM drives like the stock clutch. I'm not sure how well it holds since I haven't raced with it.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Just had mine installed Saturday and so far seems fine. The shop urged me to break it in despite some of the claims of it not needing it. I guess we'll see how long she last...

VinSVT

Established Member
Ram clutch ftw... no chatter or any other bullshit! Holds up to all my power, never slips! Hands down the best I've used in any car I have owned.

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmmm

Thats interesting to hear that some people aren't happy with Centerforce Customer Service. I called them and I was impressed that they actually told me that I would most likely not be happy with the DFX on the street. I mean they actually said "Are you going to be driving this car on the street?" "because you probably wont like the clutch on the street"

When I told them my intentions with the car (drag racing only) they told me that the DFX and steel fly wheel would be a good way to go and would grab hard. They also confirmed what I had been hearing about no break in period necessary for the set up. I asked "So I can have it installed and trailer it right to the track and race?" and they said yes.

Is there any kind of warrenty that comes with it since they don't have the usuall "you didnt break it in right" excuse????????????

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I have something around 10k miles on my centerforce dfx clutch with 600rwhp, been fine.

as for break in thats the same story lethal told me, but when I received the DFX clutch the paperwork inside the box clearly stated you needed to break it in.

I drove it easy for around 450 miles,(or two tanks of gas) per the instructions, then gradully increased the abuse over time and its held up well.

Users who are viewing this thread