Another DMP stroker beast just finished up.

FordFanStan

Established Member
We have several different setups Clint. Pretty much any combination you can think of, if its possible we have done it, or can do it. Right now we have a very custom engine design that we are going to build for a race truck, but I cannot disclose what it is, it will remain unknown. It has never been done before by any modular builder and it will easily handle 10-12,000 rpms with stock hydrualic valve train and still retains a nice displacement, but due to the high rpm's this will be a turbo only build. This all depends on what your goals are for the truck as well, the suspension and weight, what type of racing you do, how often you drive it, how many miles you put on it, etc. We have or can do 323", 333", 345" will be doen real soon, 351", 358", 374", starting on a 380", and a couple others designs. We have done multiple 4.6 and 5.4 strokers and big bores, 2v 3v and 4v, and n/a, sc, and turbo applications. The different designs also range in price dramatically depending on some of the parts used. We can build a budget stroker now for only a fraction over a normal 5.4 build or if you want the absolute all out best parts money can buy and handle any amount of power you can throw at it, we have those as well.

The largest bore we have used is a little over 3.700" and we can fit it with numerous different stroke cranks, the largest crank we have used to date is a 4.415" and we can build that with many different bore sizes. Options are not unlimited, but there are several out there. FFS

FordFanStan

Established Member
I haven't spoke with JL about it, but to my knowledge that 400ci. has never been ran to date. That setup would use a 4.415" stroke and a 3.800" bore. We haven't tried anything over 3.7xx" due to the fact there is not much between the cylinders after that point, and even then we use a solid hardened steel alloy liner/sleeve to help with the lack of material. Remember Dante build the first modulars using the Darton wet sleeves (3.700" bore) back in 2002 I think it was, and at the time the limited amount of produts and parts available and design, it just would not work. He finally got the sleeves movement under control, but then there were always gasket issues. He sent specs and a design and some old gaksets to SCE and had them deisgn a custom copper gasket, now which eventually progressed into what is now known as the SCE Titan copper gakset. Since it looks as though Darton has made some adjustments and design spec changes to their sleeves and they may work out ok, I just checked them out again at SEMA last week. And now Cometic has some MLS gaskets for use with those sleeves, but they are only 3 layer not 4 like Ford. The design in theory is pretty good, but I would still prefer a solid sleeve over the wet sleeve style especially if running high hp. To add to that, the turbo guys using the Darton sleeves running near 2000hp or more, they all fill their blocks solid, and there is a reason for it. So basically that brings me back to the larger bore sizes. I give JL a ton of respect for the design of that 400ci. but I still haven't heard how it holds up. I am sure it will be a huge power maker if it works out, no doubt about that. FFS

busakiller

Established Member
i would keep all the material i could on any mod motor if it were me. the iron blocks cylinder walls start to distort above 6500rpm and 700rwhp. over time, the cylinder walls become egged shaped.

as far as the aluminum blocks are concerned, i dont know. i'll let you guys know when i put the screws to this thing if i find any problems. but me and fordfan are on different levels in terms of how much power we want to make.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Why "only" (lol) the 2.3 Whipple and not a 3.4? Figured the 5.4 would like that better. I have a stock HD and will mod it soon and was leaning towards the 3.4.

02red

Established Member
not trying to steal the tread buy what kind of wheels are those on the L on the front..

siksvt33

Established Member
Why "only" (lol) the 2.3 Whipple and not a 3.4? Figured the 5.4 would like that better. I have a stock HD and will mod it soon and was leaning towards the 3.4.

My honest reply to this post is: $$$$$$$$$$

Next goal for the truck will be a DMP built transmission before I even start considering the possibility of a 3.4 Whipple. I like my 2.3 and the most I will ever need to run is 18lbs. On a side note...using a 6lb lower and 3.25 upper the 2.3 Whipple was making 18lbs of boost on my stock block. Apparently, with the built stroker it's only making 13lbs of boost with the same pulley combo. This motor is gonna make massive power at 18psi:banana:

FordFanStan

Established Member
Yep Oscar, same exact pulley combo, 5psi less boost :eek:. This engine is a real powerhouse and flows damn good. Your not going to have to rely on as much boost as others, in fact if you did try turning up the boost to over 20psi, there is no way you would be able to put the power to the ground anyhow, not without some serious suspension mods.

This is how Cowmans truck is right now, he has ran several 9.9x's now on only 18psi and 16-18*, he doesnt need a whole bunch more. But we are going to try upping the boost to around 22psi and seeing if the suspension will hold for that power very soon, next month. FFS

FordFanStan

Established Member
Oh Oscar this will make you happy lol

I was just recently told about a big bore stroker put together by someone else and it just dynoed I guess:

You:
Break-in tune = 13psi, 11.5* spark, 11.1 A/F - 544/625 (625/719-DJ) @ 5050 rpm

Them:
Break-in tune = 12psi, 12* spark, lean A/F - 547/590-DJ @ 4900 rpm

Hahaha I guess the proof is in the puddin'. FFS

steeltoe

Established Member
Oh Oscar this will make you happy lol

I was just recently told about a big bore stroker put together by someone else and it just dynoed I guess:

You:
Break-in tune = 13psi, 11.5* spark, 11.1 A/F - 544/625 (625/719-DJ) @ 5050 rpm

Them:
Break-in tune = 12psi, 12* spark, lean A/F - 547/590-DJ @ 4900 rpm

Hahaha I guess the proof is in the puddin'. FFS

damn son. Your makin my choice for a new motor easier and easier.

Users who are viewing this thread