Another fog light busted... anything I can do to protect them?

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
So last fall I had the stock passenger side fog light busted by a rock I assume, and this fall I have a busted smoked fog light on the driver side. I don't particularly enjoy spending money constantly replacing these things. Is there any way I can protect them? I have an idea in my head, but I just want to see if anyone else has come up with a solution for this first.

Thanks,

Phil

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
I have been through a few myself over the years. what is your idea

Slow99x

Established Member
I think autobages sells film for the fog lights. It won't protect against the big rocks but it'll help against all the small stuff.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I was thinking of just getting a pair of round pieces of plexiglas cut to size and somehow glued into the recesses in front of the lens. Black caulking or silicone would do the trick if you can get it in there cleanly... what do you think?

03sm3341

Established Member
grills
DSC_0459.jpg

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
Yeah same principle as the grilles above, but a piece of plexiglas instead. Film wouldn't cut it, IMO. I don't care about the lenses being sandblasted, but I don't want them breaking.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
i knew you would say plexi - only thing i could think of but might scratch the paint trying to get a tight cut in there etc and plexi might look like crap after some wear/dulling then to remove it and the silicone would be a mess prolly

otherwise good idea

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
i knew you would say plexi - only thing i could think of but might scratch the paint trying to get a tight cut in there etc and plexi might look like crap after some wear/dulling then to remove it and the silicone would be a mess prolly

otherwise good idea

There's no paint in there, it's just that grey plastic. I thought about the lenses getting beat up, but if anyone were to make them, they could be sold in sets. Changing them would just require removing the fog light housing, popping the lens out from the back, cleaning up the silicone, and reinstalling. Cheaper than changing fog lights all the time!

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
I had the same issue on my 89 GT. There was an aftermarket plexiglass cover that slipped over the light. Given the flush fit of ours I'm not sure how we'd pull this off.

Users who are viewing this thread