Another GordsFord Installation

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Hi guys,

As some of you already know I installed the GordsFord HX earlier this week. The quality is superb, and craftmanship is excellent. Ntechnic's thread is way more comprehensive than mine so if you have any questions.

Here are my suggestions:

~replace the old rivets top (4) + bottom (2) of the front fascia (you really need to remove it) These rivets are a one-time deal. New cost me .39c for one style and .49c for the other. I got enough replacement rivets to do the job 3X (gotta love spare hardware).

~ The 10" long and slightly-bent 3/4" dia. replacement hose supplied for passengers side is not adequate due to the alignment of the two ends (HX exit & fixed metal return line) it causes the line to colapse due the severe angle it has to take(this has been mentioned elsewhere on other forums). I even tried to use a hose clamp to remedy the problem, still no success. Go to a Auto parts store(I used Kragen) and get some 3/4" dia. radiator hose with the same bend as the stocker with enough on both ends to give you 2+". Although, Gord does supply excellent GoodYear hoses and ALL stainless steel hardware.

~ If you have gold coolant like I did, do not mix in green or the orange (regardless of how well you drained the system). I replaced it with 50/50 Motorcraft Premium Gold + the appropriate amount of Water Wetter. See the TSB.

~ Forget about the razor to trim the rubber mounting pads flat on the support bracket, just use a PVC Pipe Cutter Tool (Parrot Beak looking tool). It trimmed the pads flat, like a hot knife through butter.

~ Have someone help you put the front fascia back on when reassembling. Its really flimsy and you dont want the protruding metal mounting studs to scratch the quarter panel on install.

Other than that, the installation went smooth and the HX did fit into the stock mounting brackets perfectly, like it was made to happen. It took me 4 hours due to the hose issue, and the fact that I wiped everthing down as I went.

Result: The HX is working great...My car would always light the tires in second just matting it @ 60mph when in its first 20mins of a cold start(romping only at operating temperature I assure you). Well tonight (54F here 75hum.) I drove my car for 2 hours city traffic, freeway, let it sit for 20 mins(hood closed), go back drive it for 10 minutes (already warm when started), roll on the throttle about 4k in second and it annihilates the tires (yes the road is dry/flat) again...Drive on the freeway back home (another 25 mins. + a little city traffic 5 mins later roll on the throttle again in second, same result...So I'm pretty happy, like I said, it never did that before...The heat soak would kill IMO 20+ hp. It doesnt seem like I've lost that power now. So I'm sold. Here are some photos of the install. Take care.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Looks great, thanks for the info, but, why did you remove the bumper cover? Is it nice to have it off when reinstalling the new HE? The old one came out, no probs, with the cover still on.

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by sambandit
Looks great, thanks for the info, but, why did you remove the bumper cover? Is it nice to have it off when reinstalling the new HE? The old one came out, no probs, with the cover still on.

I was nervous(too close for me) about dinging up the power steering HX fins with hands/ratchet/tools when removing/reassembling the rubber supply/return lines. I've never seen the front end off one of these body styles. It was kinda cool to see the HX hard lines, HX pump, and see the infrastructure of what is supposed to keep you alive in an accident. Have you had a chance to take your car out yet with the Gords or is the weather not permitting? Take care.

-pete:coolman:

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Actually, it's going on in about an hr. Shouldn't take too long other than getting that drivers side hose back on. I'll post pics later. Also painted my calipers blue so I think it looks pretty cool. Thanks for the info!

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Originally posted by sambandit
...Also painted my calipers blue so I think it looks pretty cool. Thanks for the info!

No problem, post some pics of your calipers too. I'm real anxious to see them. I'm sure they look sweet. :thumbsup:

-pete:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread