Another merger that could affect all of us

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I heard about this from a co-worker today. Still have mixed feelings about it. I will have to wait and see how exactly it will effect people to make my judgement.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I heard about this from a co-worker today. Still have mixed feelings about it. I will have to wait and see how exactly it will effect people to make my judgement.
Same here although this and the Time Warner/Comcast merger if approved decrease competition which allows companies to raise prices to whatever they want. Whatever happened to Anti-trust laws?

Troponin

Established Member
IN my area, directTV was linked to Verizon. I am assuming there was some kind of contract loophole that allowed ATT to swoop in and propose this merge. Can't believe Verizon didn't, seeing as how they were already in business together.

That said, I freakin hate DirectTV, or really any satellite dish company. They refused to service our lines etc at my old house because nothing else was offered in that area, so therefore, why did they care that we have a crappy signal and picture?

On another note, at what point do we say these companies have a monopoly? That came up with the Time Warner merger and I thought they were going to axe it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Hard to say on this.

Things are changing so quickly from day to day, its hard to say with all the differing viewpoints and information out there whether or not its good or bad.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I love DirecTV and I HATE ATT. Their wireless service and DSL is HORRIBLE, at least from my experience. Customer service is not much better either. Im not liking the TWC merger either for a lot of reasons.

Why isnt Google Fiber here yet?

heypal

What? Where am I?
Established Member
I love DirecTV and I HATE ATT. Their wireless service and DSL is HORRIBLE, at least from my experience. Customer service is not much better either. Im not liking the TWC merger either for a lot of reasons.

Agreed

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

Because of how long it takes in america to get anything done due to red tape and politics.

Kinda hard for a company like google to get the infrastructure built when other companies are lining pockets to cockblock them at every corner.

Also you have ****wads on DC that have no idea what they are doing and will likely **** over the greatest invention that has happened to mankind.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
When broadband providers merge, there is less competition and content providers are charged a premium to send data over the provider links. It's crap because the content provider (ie, Netflix) already pays to upload data to one of many transit providers. Now here comes big bad Comcast and they were able to successfully muscle additional cash from Netflix for access to their subscribers. When and if TWC and Comcast merge, it's only going to get worse.

I would love for Netflix to become their own ISP, Netflix Direct, and say screw you to the ISPs that charge the provider and the subscriber ever increasing fees.

Netflix has some great blog articles describing how in all cases, the customer gets screwed.

http://blog.netflix.com/2014/03/internet-tolls-and-case-for-strong-net.html
http://blog.netflix.com/2014/04/the-case-against-isp-tolls.html

I have relatively good service with AT&T U-verse. It's fast, reliable, but the cost has gone up. I pay roughly $700 a year for internet. I also have a relatively good opinion of the company in that they aren't complete assholes. Comcast and TWC are bottom of the barrel as far as I'm concerned. They increase prices while reducing service.

Last edited:

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member

Preach on Brother.

Tispho

Established Member
A buddy of mine who is in the Navy and currently stationed in Romania says they have 1000 Mbps internet for like 20 bux a month lol

Panic661

Established Member
Direct and ATT have been working with each other for a bit now. ATT's website offered direct tv 6 months ago. Each company has their pros and cons.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I have been thinking about switching to ATT U-Verse from my local cable provider. I just can't decide if it would be a good move or not.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
That said, I freakin hate DirectTV, or really any satellite dish company. They refused to service our lines etc at my old house because nothing else was offered in that area, so therefore, why did they care that we have a crappy signal and picture?

That's weird, are you saying they wouldn't replace the coax in your house? I love DirecTV, to me it's worth twice cable. I haven't experienced FIOS, but directv stomps cable and dish hands down. I am kind of biased though because I absolutely hate comcast cable, att, or anything that came out of the bellsouth bust up. Those companies all shit on us because they knew they were the only thing available. Each time I've been able to disconnect one of them and get them out of my life I've celebrated. Somebody not named comcast, att, verizon, or timewarner, bring me some glass to my door and I'm all in.

Prototype007

Established Member
Not had television/cable/satellite in years and don't miss it or the bill. Don't miss AT&T's worthless services either.

greenflash00

Established Member
I talked to a sales rep for DirecTV in Best Buy the other day (because they always come up to you and interrupt your shopping, ended up being nice guy though) Anyway he was saying how people are ditching tv providers left and right and how sales are really down all over due to the internet and streaming. This merger probably makes a lot of sense for both companies. ATT knows delivery and Direct knows content.

Be on the lookout for more fiber lines and 4k streaming content from these guys :D

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
I have TWC now and its not half bad. But it does bother me that America overpays for outdated slow internet when most of Europe and some other countries are leaps and bounds ahead of us in terms of infrastructure. I dont care for cable really. I like my Xbox's and Netflix. I hate Cable and commercials. I dont watch TV. Its boring and not interactive hence why Im a gamer.

Prototype007

Established Member
I have TWC now and its not half bad. But it does bother me that America overpays for outdated slow internet when most of Europe and some other countries are leaps and bounds ahead of us in terms of infrastructure.

I'm on the same page with you. My area 12mb is the max for an outrageous $54.99 a month. I drive two hours south and their "welfare internet" is $30.00 and peaks up to 100mb!

Users who are viewing this thread