• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Another oil consumption thread

Discussion in '2015+ Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by usaf_branham, Oct 14, 2018.

1. ANGREY

ANGREY Active Member Established Member

One of the guys who's motor blew and he was tearing it down showed evidence of piston slap (youtube vid) and I've heard a couple of other guys in forums claim they have it. I have not yet heard.

I don't think we're talking about huge dimension here. If the piston isn't perfectly centered and level in the bore, even a miniscule amount would change the ring contact with the wall (that's the bitch of a circular contact, tilt it even slightly in any direction and you now don't have perfect contact anymore or at least not the contact the ring seated/wore to when it's operating normally.

DeathvalleySC likes this.
  2. gimmie11s

gimmie11s Handlebar mustaches... PSSHHH! Established Member Established Member

Could be. It's interesting to think about thats for sure.

DeathvalleySC likes this.
  3. WVTrakPak

WVTrakPak Active Member Established Member

I do believe that some 350s have piston slap but I dont think it is a large number. I also am careful about warm up and oil temps. First learned about the warm up with my 911 and have been very careful.

This is just my opinion but, I also think that babying these cars and then flogging them is not good. I could be very wrong on this but I want my rings to seat in at the maximum twist I am gonna put on it. I plan on putting a bunch of miles on it this year because if it is gonna have issues i want it to have them now. I also am not gonna own a car that I am afraid to wind up.

gimmie11s likes this.
  4. ANGREY

ANGREY Active Member Established Member

There's a vid of a guy who broke down is motor and it had evidence of slap in a couple of cylinders (on the piston skirts). Additionally, there have been a couple of discussions with guys who claim they can hear it.

gimmie11s likes this.
  5. Snoopy49

Snoopy49 Well-Known Member Established Member

Has anyone considered piston ring flutter as a cause?

6. AustinJ427

AustinJ427 Well-Known Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

My car does have piston slap, and it does burn about .5 qt per 1500 miles.

Track time doesn't seem to increase that number. 240 miles on track in a weekend and there is no noticeable difference.

One of the interesting things I've noticed, is some guys on the forums have had valve seal issues, so some of these may be related to that.

7. usaf_branham

usaf_branham Member Established Member

Change to the change... they want me to do 2 more consumption tests before swapping my motor.

8. 07 Black Beauty

07 Black Beauty Well-Known Member Established Member

In their defense these motors aren't cheap. It sucks to have to jump through some hoops, but in the end if they replace the motor it'll been worth it. From what I've seen on the forums they aren't denying too many replacements unless you've modded the car.

9. tomshep

tomshep Another R Addict Established Member

Has anyone had a REPLACEMENT motor burn oil? This would indicate if they may have a handle on it with the newer production motor.

Tom

10. biminiLX

biminiLX never stock Established Member

Good question. We do know the late 2018s and 2019s have the updated 5.2 block shared with the next GT500.
    -J

11. Mwynn

Mwynn Active Member Established Member

So... how does one tell if they have an updated block in the late builds of 2018?

12. 1FASFKR

1FASFKR Active Member Established Member

Pop off the plastic coil cover on the driver side. Read the sticker for a JA or HA. HA is a 17 block. JA is an 18 block. I would assume the 19 block will have a KA. I seriously doubt any 18 blocks will have the KA but I know for a fact that there are HA and JA blocks in the model 18 production.

Attached Files:

• R20.jpg
      R20.jpg
      File size:
      317.6 KB
      Views:
  13. Mwynn

Well.... I got 18 350R #581 with a HA code on the sticker, guess I do not have an updated block.

14. biminiLX

When was it built?
    I have a suspicion that as they changed the block they changed something else internally, either hone or ring pack or...?
    Maybe someday we’ll know
    -J

tvspower likes this.
  15. Mwynn

6/18 was 350R build date

16. 1FASFKR

That's interesting. My 18R is #369 built 4/18. My buddy has an 18 R #560 and said his a JA block but I haven't seen a pic. Either way, there isn't an "updated" block from model year 17 to 18. They are the same. There is updated pistons and ring packs for model year 18 tho to alleviate oil issues. Not sure when they were implemeted. Some early 18's may not have gotten the piston ring packs.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  17. biminiLX

Well there’s an updated 5.2 block for the 500 that they said is now used in the 350. Just makes sense. I wonder if the Ford Racing 5.2 block will be the same? I’d guess yes.
    -J

gimmie11s likes this.
  18. 1FASFKR

Agreed, there is an upgraded/updated block starting for MY 19. Changes to the block are specifically for the FI. Longer heads bolts, etc.

19. IamRacerX

IamRacerX No brand loyalty rhetoric here. Established Member

So can anyone confirm if the updated piston/block set up in the late ‘18 up in fact does not use excess oil?
    I spoke to a Ford tech 3 months ago while my airbags were replaced and he said the Voodoo uses oil, no way around it. They avg 0.5-1.0 quart burned per 1k miles... with some worse.

20. gjcavana

gjcavana New Member Established Member

I don't think Ford considers 1qt every 1k normal or acceptable. I was burning a little more than 1qt every 1k miles on my '17 and ford is replacing the engine. Should get it back next week.