Another RXT install with some questions...

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
So I've finally installed my RXT that I purchased during the Lethal Performance X-mas sale. I also replaced the steel insert on my aluminum Fidanza and the stock TOB sleeve with a Lethal Performance piece. After installing the bottom disc and bolted the adapter ring, I insured the disc was able to freely spin and had minimal forward to rearward movement. I honestly didn't check the space with a feeler gauge but when I spoke to Lee at Mcleod, he says I'll be fine as long as the disc freely spins.
So I preceded to install the top disc using the 26-spline input shaft to align the disc and insure they spun freely before installing the pressure plate. I got to about 36-37 ft lbs of torque when the clutch fingers were below the rear face of the pressure plate. Using a straight edge, the fingers are really close but clear. Everything else seemed ok so I continued with replacing the stock TOB sleeve and buttoning up the transmission. I decided to use a Lakewood adjustable pivot bolt but before I went and tried to install-remove-install to get the correct pivot ball height I did some thinking. I measured the distance from the face of the pilot bearing to the clutch fingers where the TOB would contact. I then adjusted the pivot ball to where the fork would be at a proper angle when the face of the TOB was at the measured distance. It allows the fork to move forward and rearward evenly. I installed the trans and adjusted the firewall adjuster to remove the slack and get the TOB to barely sit on the clutch fingers.
The feel of the clutch is night and day from the RAM HD that was in there - SERIOUSLY! I read so many testimonies and was a lithe skeptical that "it must be too good to be true". Well I can say I was wrong. So that leads me to the questions about how can I insure the discs fully disengages when the pedal is depressed. That's the only thing I'm concerned about. I had my son depress the pedal and it seems the discs free up and I can't get the fork to move forward anymore.

Below are a few pics of the RXT installed and how the fork sits. Let me know if you have any suggestions or whether there's anything else I need to check before getting the Cobra back on the ground. Well I actually can't get it running since I'm waiting on some other stuff before putting it on the ground.

RXT2_zps1d77f917.jpg

RXT3_zps5deb36c0.jpg

RXT6_zpsbff71287.jpg

RXT8_zpsac0569e7.jpg

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
imo it sounds like you are all set. fire it up!

you are right, it is a night and day difference, and you'll love it. i sure love mine. best of luck with it :beer:

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
I sure hope so - LOL! Kinda also stinks I was not able to do the head-cooling mod I wanted.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
So while I'm waiting for some other parts to get back so I can get the Cobra back on the ground, I was watching some RXT install videos. I believe I used the 2 longer bell housing bolts on the two top spots. According to the video I watched, they're supposed to be installed on the spots where the dowels go. How much of an issue will it be where I installed them? If I remember correctly, that's where they came out of when I removed the RAM HD clutch. The exhaust is still off the car so if needed, I can try to swap them.

Let me hear some thoughts and suggestions - good and bad :)

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
So I finally got the Cobra on the ground and drove it about 10miles or so. The only noticable difference is I'm having issues shifting into 5th and 6th gear only. This happens when I'm at idle and slow speeds. It does the same thing without the engine running. Only those two gears. At speeds above 40mph, it goes into those gears like normal. I filled the T56 with Amsoil ATF. Could that be my issue?

I did remove the input shaft when I used it to align the RXT and swap out the TOB sleeve. I made sure to reinstall everything as it came out.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated!

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
Hmmm never heard of that issue before. At what point does your clutch feel to release on the pedal? if it's right off the floor then possibly the clutch isn't fully disengaging when trying to shift and that could be causing the 5th/6th issue.

RTCOBRA2964

Established Member
Hmmm never heard of that issue before. At what point does your clutch feel to release on the pedal? if it's right off the floor then possibly the clutch isn't fully disengaging when trying to shift and that could be causing the 5th/6th issue.

The clutch is fully disengaging. I have the TOB set to barely touch the pressure plate fingers. The way I set the pivot ball allows for the release to happen closer to the floor. (The pivot ball adjustment is what changes the release point) It's fully released before it levels with the brake pedal. I verified it while having my son depress the clutch pedal. Plus it doesnt add up since its worst when the engine is off.
I was just reading on another thread about some having issues with the Amsoil ATF and some not. I might try swapping the fluid for GM Synchromesh. Supposedly the Amsoil synthetic lubricity is not correct for the T56.

Users who are viewing this thread