Another stupid Alternator gone bad!

drkchk03svt

Established Member
Another stupid Alternator gone bad! My shit broke on the highway going home Friday. Car just died, pulled over and had to have it towed to the house.

Will

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Mine is at the dealer as we speak getting it replaced. Don't know why these are dropping so fast.

Dan

mosconiac

Established Member
I can't believe the aftermarket hasn't stepped up with a bevy of alternatives. You have three choices: Ford (expensive remanufactured unit), PA Performance (very expensive unit), or a local rebuild shop (much cheaper).

I'm on my third unit at 45,000 miles. The first was OEM and lasted about 41,000 miles. The second was a Ford reman and it lasted less than 1,000 miles. The third is a warrantee replacement for #2 and has held up for 4,000+ miles. If this one fails, I'm going to have it rebuilt by a local winding shop.

I'm not surprised by the windfall of failed alternators. Take a look at where Ford placed it...under the motor next to a header. Nice placement for a device that already is stuffed to the brim and can't possibly move enough air thru the case to keep it cool.

Last edited:

2814v

Established Member
mosconiac said:
I can't believe the aftermarket hasn't stepped up with a bevy of alternatives. You have three choices: Ford (expensive remanufactured unit), PA Performance (very expensive unit), or a local rebuild shop (much cheaper).

I'm on my third unit at 45,000 miles. The first was OEM and lasted about 41,000 miles. The second was a Ford reman and it lasted less than 1,000 miles. The third is a warrantee replacement for #2 and has held up for 4,000+ miles. If this one fails, I'm going to have it rebuilt by a local winding shop.

I'm not surprised by the windfall of failed alternators. Take a look at where Ford placed it...under the motor next to a header. Nice placement for a device that already is stuffed to the brim and can't possibly move enough air thru the case to keep it cool.

I think you :bash: the nail on the head.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I just got my car back from the dealer - the alternator was bad and not charging. Looks like another one dropped and only after 28k miles. The good part is I got it to the dealer in time to avoid a highway breakdown, and that stupid power steering pump sounding whine is GONE! :banana: Squeeks, rattles, and whines have no business on a sports car and drives me nuts.

Dan

VinSVT

Established Member
Mine went out at 11k miles. Lucky for me though it happened as I started the car and was still in my driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread