Anti-Roll bar

jetmech

Established Member
Anti-sway bar = anti roll bar. :read:

Doesn't really matter what they look like, they still perform the the same function. :idea:

Any questions?

:coolman::beer:

No, I'm sorry but this type is not the same at all. Drive a car with one and you will see what I mean. I'm no engineer so I can't explain in technical terms but it would never work in a road racing application the way it is designed.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I have a weld in team Z on my car adn drive it on the street with no issues, my whole rear suspension is somewhat noisy but mechanically i have no issues.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Sorry man but you are missing what this anti-roll bar is. I understand where you're coming from but it is more than a sway bar. It will not let the car turn happy at all without possible breaking one of the links. It helps drag racers launch straight by stiffening the rear to not allow ANY roll. it also helps to keep the pinion angle set. You can also adjust the links to add more weight to one side or the other to correct if the car drifts left or right under hard launch. It will allow vertical movement but that's it.

No, YOU are missing what an anti-roll bar is. I'll provide an example of the type of thinking seen in this thread: a skinny front tire. It's still a tire. It's still made of rubber, mounts to a wheel, rolls, and supports the front weight of the car. However, when compared to a regularly sized tire, it does a really poor job of changing the car's direction left and right. If this thread were about skinnies, all the posts claiming I don't understand would read like this: a skinny is different than a tire. No it isn't. The physics are the exact same. It's a tire.

Similarly, a drag racing roll bar still controls roll. Once again, roll doesn't literally mean body roll due to turning forces. It means an uneven suspension load from left to right. In drag racing, torque creates roll. No ifs, ands or buts. Even if a drag racing anti-roll bar restricts roll by 100% (which it doesn't) it is still the same component as a sway bar. If there's one reason I'm sticking around in this thread, it's to make this point understood.

I know it makes the car unhappy when turning (because it's ULTRA stiff), I know it's not street friendly (because it's ULTRA stiff), and I know it limits the rear suspension to move primarily in the vertical direction (because it's ULTRA stiff). It is still a sway bar. From the moment the OP said it's different, I entered the thread. Until all posters, past, present and future stop breezing over the posts and actually read for comprehension, stop trying to teach me a false notion and learn themselves, this will continue.

Sway Bar.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Why are you still in here trying to show us what we already know? Waste of your time. Horse has been dead for awhile.......

Last edited:

86merc

Established Member
The design is different. But function is the same. With your typical production car sway bar for the street it needs to flex some. A street car needs the torsional forces bend the sway bar to not break or tear any thing. Then they use rubber or poly bushing to allow more flex as not to break if they were a ridged mount.

The drag race bar is going to have a cross bar that is going to require more torsional force to "twist" that bar. So there is less flex in them as to not allow the rear end housing and frame rails separate at a different distance side to side. But because this system has less flex in it you hear people street driving them and ripping the mounting tabs off or breaking the links.

it also helps to keep the pinion angle set.

You do not set the pinion angle with the anti-roll bar. It does not keep the angle either. As the torque is applied the force causes the housing to rotate. This rotation changes the pinion angle as torque is applied or taken away. Unless you can not clearly making the point you have in your mind?

jetmech

Established Member
The design is different. But function is the same. With your typical production car sway bar for the street it needs to flex some. A street car needs the torsional forces bend the sway bar to not break or tear any thing. Then they use rubber or poly bushing to allow more flex as not to break if they were a ridged mount.

The drag race bar is going to have a cross bar that is going to require more torsional force to "twist" that bar. So there is less flex in them as to not allow the rear end housing and frame rails separate at a different distance side to side. But because this system has less flex in it you hear people street driving them and ripping the mounting tabs off or breaking the links.

You do not set the pinion angle with the anti-roll bar. It does not keep the angle either. As the torque is applied the force causes the housing to rotate. This rotation changes the pinion angle as torque is applied or taken away. Unless you can not clearly making the point you have in your mind?

I didn't mean to imply that you set it with the anti-roll bar, I just meant it is designed to help keep the pinion angle deflection stay where it was set to.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
Where did you go Mu22stang. Thanks 86merc for the information...very useful!

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Hey OP don't worry about what some people say here you know the ones.
I love the AR Bar on my 83 GT. Someone here.do say they made on a clear the exhausted.I don't think you run the stock sway bar with the roll bar.you can't have red springs that have different spring rate on the red from side to side.it will tell you how to prepared it.mine launches straight as can be .
good luck my friend.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Wow! Craziness in this thread! Op, we ran the team z anti roll bar on my buddies car. It was night and day diff leaving the line at the track. On the street just disconnect either of the links, don't matter which. We generally took one off completely so it did not rattle around.

Roll= axle twist/wind up. Up/down, changing pinion angle...
Sway= axle sway from side to side.
Two very different parts..

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Wow! Craziness in this thread! Op, we ran the team z anti roll bar on my buddies car. It was night and day diff leaving the line at the track. On the street just disconnect either of the links, don't matter which. We generally took one off completely so it did not rattle around.

Roll= axle twist/wind up. Up/down, changing pinion angle...
Sway= axle sway from side to side.
Two very different parts..

Roll bars protect drivers (and passengers if applicable) in the event of a vehicle roll-over situation.

Anti-sway bars or sway bars or anti-roll bars keep vehicles level during hard cornering.

Ladder bars and pinion snubbers prevent solid rear axle wind-up.

Users who are viewing this thread