AntiVirus recommendations

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
I have been using AVG AntiVirus Free for years and thus far, it has served me well. Well, last night, AVG notified me of a threat and recommended a full computer scan. After the scan, it revealed 215 threats (all under the same name, some sort of "rootkit"). I contacted them and they located the malicious program and got rid of it (for a one time fee of $120 of course). Now I have the option to upgrade to AVG Ultimate for a year for and additional $80. I was very happy with today's interaction but does anyone with more knowledge have any insight? Should I upgrade with AVG? Or is there another company that I should look into?

Thanks in advance.

Gravik

Established Member
I've liked forticlient or avast

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Blown 89

Established Member
Learn to browse smarter. The only thing anti-virus does is self destruct and take your computer down with it thus creating the same problem you installed anti-virus to try and avoid.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Learn to browse smarter. The only thing anti-virus does is self destruct and take your computer down with it thus creating the same problem you installed anti-virus to try and avoid.

So you run a PC with no anti-virus at all?

Blown 89

Established Member
So you run a PC with no anti-virus at all?
On most of my systems, yes. I have a few windows 10 machines that have MS's baked in antivirus and that's it.

AVG has been caught selling customer usage stats, installing programs, and other shady shit over the past few years. FWIW they just scammed you out of $125.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I am wondering if you got an adware program disguised as avg which prompted you to scan your system where it found a bunch of phantom problems. Then it gave you a number to call to get rid of them. Tell me you went to AVG's website for their support number and I am completely off base.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
On most of my systems, yes. I have a few windows 10 machines that have MS's baked in antivirus and that's it.

AVG has been caught selling customer usage stats, installing programs, and other shady shit over the past few years. FWIW they just scammed you out of $125.

I wouldn't say I got scammed. I somehow got some malware, and they fixed it. Did I over pay? Yeah, maybe. But I received a product for a fee. So scammed? No.

But that's why I'm here. To find the best solution for computer security.

I am wondering if you got an adware program disguised as avg which prompted you to scan your system where it found a bunch of phantom problems. Then it gave you a number to call to get rid of them. Tell me you went to AVG's website for their support number and I am completely off base.

I doubt it was that. It was my actual AVG app that populated the request. And yes, I went to their website and got the phone number there.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I wouldn't say I got scammed. I somehow got some malware, and they fixed it. Did I over pay? Yeah, maybe. But I received a product for a fee. So scammed? No.

But that's why I'm here. To find the best solution for computer security.

I doubt it was that. It was my actual AVG app that populated the request. And yes, I went to their website and got the phone number there.
Glad I was off the mark. I have seen a lot of adware pop ups over the years that imitate antivirus programs hence the concern. As far as choosing an antivirus for future use I have had decent success with the built in Microsoft antivirus. As mentioned earlier though, even the best antivirus can be beaten if you have poor browsing habits. Btw, doing a quick search shows Kaspersky and Bitdefender as being two of the highest rated antivirus programs for 2017 and both are well below the $80 AVG wants.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Glad I was off the mark. I have seen a lot of adware pop ups over the years that imitate antivirus programs hence the concern. As far as choosing an antivirus for future use I have had decent success with the built in Microsoft antivirus. As mentioned earlier though, even the best antivirus can be beaten if you have poor browsing habits. Btw, doing a quick search shows Kaspersky and Bitdefender as being two of the highest rated antivirus programs for 2017 and both are well below the $80 AVG wants.

Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I used Kaspersky until they started using a third party for payments. F that. I use bit defender now. No problems, but I'm careful how I deal with scam popups and what not.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've used Norton, Bit Defender and Kaspersky over the past 15+ years. For me, Kaspersky has worked/performed the best overall. I use it at the office as well (5 workstations). And we run Microsoft Essentials on one workstation at the office. It works pretty well but the definitions are not updated frequently enough for me.

Bottom line is that good browsing habits and being careful with your email will go very far in keeping your computer free of the nasties. JMO.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
My laptop was running soooooo slowly with mcafee and norton. Switched to PC Matic. Laptop runs noticeably faster. Very happy.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Windows Defender and don't click stuff you shouldn't. I haven't used an "antivirus" program for 10+ years and have never had a virus or malware of any sort.

In my experience antivirus software is the #1 cause of slow performance. It causes way more issues than it supposedly prevents.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Bottom line is that good browsing habits and being careful with your email will go very far in keeping your computer free of the nasties. JMO.

Yeah, I think that's where I picked it up. I logged into an email account that I haven't used in years looking for a contact. I got up and walked away to do something so when I got back I forgot it was the old account and clicked on an "Amazon shipping update." Rookie mistake, I know. I'm usually pretty careful and that's probably why the free stuff worked for so long. Oh well. Live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread