Any avid golfers in here?

Ghost11

Established Member
Some very solid advice!

I had one lesson to correct by back swing. He also works at my golf course. I asked about fitted clubs and he recommended a fitter at 2nd Swing in Minneapolis.

So we'll see how it goes.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
I also went to 2nd swing for my fitting....Good peeps...

I see you are in MN also. Where do you typically play? I play mostly the north metro courses"Bunker Hills,Majestic Oaks,Edinburgh"

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I also went to 2nd swing for my fitting....Good peeps...

I see you are in MN also. Where do you typically play? I play mostly the north metro courses"Bunker Hills,Majestic Oaks,Edinburgh"
Good to hear!

I live in southern Minnesota. New Ulm to be exact. I'm a member at the local country club. We also play over by Mankato.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
A bit of golf related fiction for a story I wrote. TThen it didn't fit the rest of the story, so it got cut. I'll probably put it one story or another, eventually.

1961:

In the depths of the Cold War era, BOMARC missile sites were built all over the United States. The BOMARC missile was a supersonic guided missile the size of an F-15 fighter jet with a range of 440 miles, at 65,000 feet, traveling at Mach 2.5. Most BOMARC missile sites were built on the East and West coasts of the U.S. But for long forgotten reasons, one site was built on Galveston Island, Texas, on the far West end of the island. When the BOMARC program was shut down, the Galveston site was forgotten. Active and forgotten, it spent the decades in its standby state, waiting for further instructions, waiting for guidance from its SAGE control system, the giant computer complex that was designed to guide it to its destination.

And it waited.

And waited.

The Secret Service decided that Rex Mason would be less dangerous if he had a hobby. By some cosmic stroke of inconceivably bad logic, they decided he should learn to play golf. Not least because Agent Berry was, himself, a golf fanatic. Having a job where you required your charge to be out on the golf course every day seemed like it would be heaven on Earth.

Or so he thought.

Rex Mason had a problem. He had been assigned to play golf. He hated golf. It was slow. But still, every day the secret service would drag him out to the links and demand he hit the little ball with the clubs. He was bored out of his skull, and frustrated by the general lack of speed of the whole game, and he began to search for ways to make the game more interesting. In other words, how to go fast and make stuff explode. Or, how to make the game big, loud and fast? But it was just golf. You hit the ball, you walked to where it landed, and you hit it again. It was a hopelessly boring game.

He decided to alter the game.

CRACK!

The first clue that Agent Berry had that Rex was up to something is when he started hitting six-hundred yard drives. He overshot the green, he overshot the far end of the driving range, he nearly, but not quite, overshot the club house, which his errant, golf ball impacted at supersonic speeds, knocking a hole in its brick wall and then ricocheting around the kitchen. There had been hell to pay over that.

"Rex, how are you hitting these balls so hard?" he asked.

Always ready to tell everyone what he was up to, Rex said, "I coated the ball and the club face with a binary explosive. When they come in contact with each other they explode, giving my swing a lot of extra power. The "crack" sound you hear when I hit the ball? That's the sound of the ball going supersonic! Neat, huh?"

Agent Berry was torn. On the one hand, this made a mockery of the game of golf, which he dearly loved. On the other hand … those balls really flew!

"Rex … can I try one of those?" He hated himself, even as he said the words.

"Sure! It's a two-part deal, you need a ball and an unused club."

"I guess that explains why your bag has all drivers in it, then."

"There are other clubs?" Agent berry ignored this question. Half the trick to learning how to deal with Rex was learning when not to answer his questions. Answers only gave him more ideas.

Agent Berry took a swing. It was like nothing he had ever felt before.

"I think you just hit the club house," Rex observed.

"It's ok, it was evacuated after your first strike."

"Makes the game more interesting, doesn't it?"

"Yeah … but it's wrong," Agent Berry said. "You're not supposed to try and improve the game."

"Well, that's a shame, this game needs all the improvement it can get."

And so it went. Week after week, Rex would try some new angle to improve the game. Exploding cleats. Can't do that. Ultra-low aerodynamic drag clubs, can't do that. Rocket assisted-clubs, can't do that. Rocket propelled golf balls, can't do that. Liquid-oxygen fueled grills in the clubhouse kitchen, can't do that. High altitude golf balls that flew up to 65,000 feet, can't do that. Every week Rex tried something new, every week he was told that he couldn't do that, yet Agent Berry insisted they finish the game with that week's technology.

He drew the line, however, when Rex tried to bring a golf cart that he had designed himself.

"There's no way I'm letting you bring that on the green," he said.

"What's wrong with it?" Rex asked.

"It's got a V12, for one thing. No golf cart needs to be powered by a compound boosted Allison V12."

"This game sucks."

"You'll just have to think of something else." Agent Berry regretted the words the instant he said them, but there was no calling them back.

Smiling his mad inventor's grin, Rex said, "I will. You're going to love what I'm going to think up next."

And he wasn't kidding.

"Explain this again, Rex?"

"It' simple," Rex said, swinging and hitting another hole-in-one. His sixth of the day. "I put a guidance system in the ball. Since I only had a day to work this up, I decided to use the SAGE system you guys gave me access to."

"The missile guidance computer from the 1950's?" Agent Berry asked, incredulous. "What the Hell could you do with that?"

"Yep. You guys quit using it back in the mid-'80s, and it was just sitting there doing nothing. So I wrote a quick interface, fired up the SAGE computers-"

"What?" Agent Berry said. "All of them? Those things are six-acres big and require the power of a small nuclear power plant! And they're scattered all over the continental United States! Who's paying for that?"

"All twenty-seven of them," Rex said. "And I assumed it was coming out of your budget, since you gave me the damn thing. But that's not important, right now. You know what the difference is between this golf ball and a guided missile?"

"I'm afraid to ask."

"Basically, nothing."

"Can I play one of those?" Agent Berry asked.

"You bet!" Rex tossed him a ball, and he tee'd up.

Agent Berry made his swing and the ball lofted into the air, guided by the SAGE system, headed for the eighteenth hole.
What no one knew at the time, was the SAGE guidance system took a vote among its 27 peers, decided the flight path of the golf ball fit the profile of a Soviet bomber, and, well … it knew _exactly_ what to do about that!

On Galveston Island:
The BOMARC obtained it's "Go" code. The doors cycled, it lifted into place, launched on its solid-rocket motors, and began streaking towards Fort Davis, Texas at Mach 2.5.

The launch did not pass unnoticed, even on Galveston Island. Every one on the island saw the flash and heard the roar of the rocket ignition, and heard the twin sonic booms as it accelerated almost instantly up to its cruise speed.

The range of the BOMARC was 440 miles. It was 650 miles from Galveston Island to Fort Davis, Texas, and at 1,850 miles per hour, it didn't take the missile long to travel the distance. The missile was out of fuel for the last 200 miles, so it was gliding down to it target from 65,000 feet. Since supersonic travel incurs a lot of drag, it quickly decelerated from its powered Mach 2.5 cruise speed to a speed of 300 miles per hour. SAGE could deal with that. SAGE knew exactly how to handle this, and it handily recomputed a subsonic speed\glide ratio\ lift vs. drag solution to get the BOMARC warhead where it determined the Soviet bomber now resided.

It never even thought to ask itself why what it thought was a Soviet bomber was now in a stationary spot, four inches below ground level. It just figured out how to get there with what it had. And so, it did.

Agent Berry's phone rang.

"Agent Berry, here," he said.

He listened intently, a look of alarm growing on his face. "I see," he said. "We'll see what we can do." He hung up.

He thought for a moment, then said, "Rex, can you tell me why there is a BOMARC guided missile headed our way?"

At that point, the missile arrived, slamming itself into the eighteenth hole. Luckily, after all these decades, the warhead was inert. Still, the crash of a fifteen-thousand pound missile into a golf course did not go unnoticed.

As they crawled from the debris and dirt, and the splintered remains of the clubhouse, Rex said,

"I'm guessing you're going to make me out as the bad guy, on this one," Rex said.
"I think that's a given, yes," Agent Berry said.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I got fitted yesterday. Ended up getting TaylorMade Sim 2 Max irons.

I hit the range and played a quick 9. Pretty impressed so far.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Great story James. I have ideas for improving the game myself... speed golf. You get to carry only 3 clubs. You're timed on how long it takes as well as how many strokes. You are basically sprinting to the ball and hitting it as quick as you can. You must run with clubs in hand.

As for myself, I usually shoot in the low 60's

and then on the 2nd hole, maybe low 50's

Ba dum dum tssss

**** Biden

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Almost all of them don’t. I’ve played along side them.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

This.

Well this is SVTP. I’m seriously surprised we don’t have a ****ing slew of dudes pounding the ball 450 after shotgunning a beer and lines off supermodels asses.

Anyway

I see guys who waste money on fitted sets of clubs thinking that is the answer. Its really not. You’re better off getting quality instruction on your weak areas first IMHO. Even decent players get quite a bit out of good instruction. Fitted golf clubs are for little guys under 5’7 or pretty low handicappers looking for that extra edge of consistency.

I’ll also add that my opinion comes from the fact I have played all of my life. I won 2 junior tournaments when i was young, Varsity all 4 years in HS and played 3 years of college. I’m no pro by any means, but decent.

Last edited:

VegasMichael

Established Member
I'm lucky if I can hit off the tee for over 200 yards. My strength was always the short game, chipping and putting, just like my Dad. (Genetics?) My fairway iron game is atrocious. I'll always choose my 5 wood over an iron when still a ways from the green.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Gosh, I'm not sure how I can sleep tonight if you guys don't believe me.

Good golfers don't win off the tee box, ever. Second shot and putting is by far more important.

I shoot low to mid 80s off the tips. I'm happy with that. Besides, when would I have time to be on tour? Lol

Sent from my Potato

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Good golfers don't win off the tee box, ever. Second shot and putting is by far more important.

I shoot low to mid 80s off the tips. I'm happy with that. Besides, when would I have time to be on tour? Lol

Sent from my Potato
Where’s the roll eyes thing?

coposrv

Established Member
This.

Well this is SVTP. I’m seriously surprised we don’t have a ****ing slew of dudes pounding the ball 450 after shotgunning a beer and lines off supermodels asses.

Anyway

I see guys who waste money on fitted sets of clubs thinking that is the answer. Its really not. You’re better off getting quality instruction on your weak areas first IMHO. Even decent players get quite a bit out of good instruction. Fitted golf clubs are for little guys under 5’7 or pretty low handicappers looking for that extra edge of consistency.

I’ll also add that my opinion comes from the fact I have played all of my life. I won 2 junior tournaments when i was young, Varsity all 4 years in HS and played 3 years of college. I’m no pro by any means, but decent.

I didn’t want to come in here like a swinging dick but yeah, same. My group of friends 15/20 of us have handicaps from +4 to high single. I’ve played since 10. Varsity for FIVE years and after school a number of mid-am’s pub links etc.

Unless you’re a mid single or better, a custom fit is less valuable than spending quality time with an instructor. Learn to work the ball, flight the ball and play golf with a set of player irons.

coposrv

Established Member
IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5697.JPG

Just finished up at the simulator, haha what timing, unless your irons look like mine a custom fit isn’t worth it IMO.

Irons are Titleist 712 CB. Project x 6.0 shafts 3-p. Traditional lofts,

driver is an M4 8.5 degree.

3 wood is a v steel 15 degree with an even flow rip tide

Vokey wedges 52 bent to 53, 8* bounce
56 bent to 58, 14* bounce.

Cameron Newport 2 pro platinum.

I’ll go back and forth with a Srixon 2 iron or an extra wedge depending on course and time of year.

coposrv

Established Member

Sent from my Potato

Right, but unless your swing speed is 140+ mph you have to be very efficient to get those numbers. Efficient meaning a quality golf swing that doesn’t leak power and you hit the center of the face.

Someone that hits the ball on average 340-350 and keeps it on the planet should have a very very efficient swing, from driver down through the bag. That guy doesn’t average mid 80’s unless he has the shanks or zero wedge and putting ability. It’s just such an absolute anomaly that if what you say is true you’re a 1 in a million, maybe 1 in 10 million. I’m serious. It’s just an outrageous claim

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Right, but unless your swing speed is 140+ mph you have to be very efficient to get those numbers. Efficient meaning a quality golf swing that doesn’t leak power and you hit the center of the face.

Someone that hits the ball on average 340-350 and keeps it on the planet should have a very very efficient swing, from driver down through the bag. That guy doesn’t average mid 80’s unless he has the shanks or zero wedge and putting ability. It’s just such an absolute anomaly that if what you say is true you’re a 1 in a million, maybe 1 in 10 million. I’m serious. It’s just an outrageous claim

What are you talking about? I think Bubba Watsons head speed is 130 or so, and he's hit the ball over 400 yards haha

Sent from my Potato

Users who are viewing this thread