Any chance of dropping the GT500 name?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a guy who knows a few people question if Ford is stopping the Shelby connection and calling the next halo Mustangs by another name.
Could we be done with Shelby GT500 and going back to Cobra.
Normally I would doubt it, but Shelby has passed and they let the 50th anniversary of the GT500 pass, so maybe we will see the return of the Cobra.
Anyone have any input?
-J

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I heard it could be called Cobra as well.
But then again, just rumors.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Calling it just a Cobra would be pretty cool, but there is still money to be made with the Shelby name which only Ford can exploit. It will be interesting to see. If Ford dropped the Shelby name then I don't see the actual Shelbys losing as much value when the new one is released.

2veloce2003

Established Member
Either way Shelby and Cobra names have the same history. There may be some "progressives" around Ford who are more interested in marketing gimmicks than heritage and content.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Cobra would be the smart move. Look at the following the SVT 03/04 Cobra's have and if its forced induction there would be a great tie in. Also does FORD have to pay a per car fee for use of the Shelby name? IF they do removing it lowers the total cost. JP

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Cobra would be the smart move. Look at the following the SVT 03/04 Cobra's have and if its forced induction there would be a great tie in. Also does FORD have to pay a per car fee for use of the Shelby name? IF they do removing it lowers the total cost. JP

I thought I heard in an interview they pay a royalty for every spot the name Shelby appears on a car. Everyone in the country (maybe even planet) knows the name Shelby. I imagine its very difficult for Ford to justify removing the name regardless of royalties.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
If you gauge by posts - The Terminator section here has over 1.3M (eyeballed it) Posts! That tells me the Cobra and its brand are just as strong as Shelby. HellCat and Demon have logo heads and the Cobra snake is legendary without the Shelby name. JP

Users who are viewing this thread