Any chance of dropping the GT500 name?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I don't like the Cobra name as I always assume they are speaking of the Shelby Cobra.

I think it has to do with your age. I grew up wanting an SN-95 and then the Terminator set the performance world on fire. During that time Shelby was putting his name on shitty Dodges. I respect his work in the 60's, but at this point it is a marketing gimmick. The 07 GT500 was fully engineered as the 07 SVT Cobra (with an IRS) before the bean counters got ahold of it and decided they could command a higher retail price with Shelby's name on it (plus that IRS cost an extra $300 so it had to go too).

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I, as well, would love to see Ford return to the Cobra nameplate. The Cobra R could then return as well. "GT-500" becomes "Cobra". "GT-350" becomes "Cobra R". Just my own thoughts on the subject.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I think it has to do with your age. I grew up wanting an SN-95 and then the Terminator set the performance world on fire. During that time Shelby was putting his name on shitty Dodges. I respect his work in the 60's, but at this point it is a marketing gimmick. The 07 GT500 was fully engineered as the 07 SVT Cobra (with an IRS) before the bean counters got ahold of it and decided they could command a higher retail price with Shelby's name on it (plus that IRS cost an extra $300 so it had to go too).

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I grew up in the 80's and the cobra was is a dream car. Loved the 96-98 mustang svt just not the name as the naans will always signify the 260-427 2200lb roadster.

Clemson

Established Member
I grew up in the 80's and the cobra was is a dream car. Loved the 96-98 mustang svt just not the name as the naans will always signify the 260-427 2200lb roadster.
The problem is, if you just say "Cobra" then yes, its the roadster you should be referring to. For the SVT, you should technically be saying "Mustang Cobra".

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
When I had my '14 GT500 people would constantly come up to me and say "love you Cobra dude"...

91z28350

Established Member
Put me down for hoping they keep the Shelby name. I like the tie in to the past. I grew up in the 80's, had two fox bodies (87 and 89 GT) but always wanted a '69 GT500 (still do for that matter). I always thought the horse cobra sounded stupid, for that matter, I still do. Love the 03/04 Cobra's, but not enamored of the name. That being said, will be an interesting comparison between a S550 GT500/Cobra and Z06/ZR1 for my next performance car purchase.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Just allow people to check the right options that includes the "best" engine, suspension, and aero. Plain Jane, and at lower cost. Simultaneously allow the car to be plastered with silly nomencalture be it stickers, badges, etc, and charge more. You want a ****ing name, pay for it. This way all the old farts can get what they want and those that are simply looking for performance can avoid the branding penalty. In a related sense, much the way the way an LX HO coupe was quicker than the Mustang GT from '87-'93. Because those in the know had no interest in baggage.

Hourigan218

Established Member
I understand both points of view on the name of the next halo stang, depending on what era you grew up is usually gonna be your preference. Both names demanded premium's at their time of when they came out, so price will always be an issue. But we have to give credit to Ford and Shelby to create a performance mustang and the rest has been history. Just a little appreciation to the late shelby for giving us some nice mustang's. So regardless of the name have to give credit where credit is due.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I found myself calling it the Cobra all the time. Too much used to that from the '04 and '93.
-J

I dont think one would be incorrect by calling it a cobra. It does have several cobras plastered all over the car.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Well look at all these people just using whatever name they want.

The bottom line is these are all crowd killers! You guys should be ashamed to call them anything else!

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Next to the jihadi's, mustangs are public enemy number one. The stereotype is real and reserved for a reason. When you see a mustang while on foot, get the hell off the sidewalk and find high ground.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I had a guy who knows a few people question if Ford is stopping the Shelby connection and calling the next halo Mustangs by another name.
Could we be done with Shelby GT500 and going back to Cobra.
Normally I would doubt it, but Shelby has passed and they let the 50th anniversary of the GT500 pass, so maybe we will see the return of the Cobra.
Anyone have any input?
-J

Don't follow these forums any more moved on to other auto maker since ford sucks ass lately. biminiLX your probably the only guy beside me that gets it. Funny your thread post are how i see it too and where ford needs to be. They just don't give a f about the performance side of street racering. They started it with the 03 cobra and continued but dropped the ball with the gt350 and dodge took over, gm is trying to keep up. Said before and so agree with you, get rid of the Shelby name, drop a twin turbo v8, dtc or at least a zf 8speed in something and call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread