Any decent priced USA made hand tools left???

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Hey guys,

I was looking to get another set of mechanic hand tools. Right now I have a mixture of craftsman stuff my father gave me and from my grandfather most of it is at least 15yrs old. I'm a machine designer now at work, still finishing my BSME mostly I'm at a computer designing the machines, but I have been going in our shop more and more to help put together machines or build stuff and I have been slowly bring some of my tools from home to work most of the time I still have to ask somebody to borrow something which I don't prefer to do. So that leaves me here.

Now my first thought was to get another craftsman set, since I already had some and last I knew they were made here. at least well I thought :bored: I stopped by sears hardware last night OMG craftsman seems to be junk now... the plastic selector on their ratchets is plastic now and the one I felt barley made and engagement sound. Look at all the packaging and all I saw was china.... Can't say I'm happy with that.

That got me looking online for other sets of tools and It seems most low end tools are all imports.... seems only USA made tools are an arm and a ass. I'm no pro wrencher so I really didn't want to spend a ton on occasionally used tools but would like to get some American tools if I can help it.

So do you guys know of any hand tools that are made here that are reasonably priced? so far I found proto, mac, matco, SK, Cornwell, Armstrong, wright etc. out of what I want to spend for what I need.

On a side note If I cant find any USA made tools I did look at Kobalt and they were way nicer than what was at sears for around the same money. The Kobalt tools seem to be made in Taiwan and From what I found online that's better than china. But hopefully you guys have some other options that I don't know about. thanks for any help.

-Tim

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Id like to know as well, tired of getting junk craftsman ratchets and such right out of the box. Kobalt is supposed to have the same no questions asked warranty arent they?

TEG-84

Established Member
i knew the Kobalts werent made here, but if theyre better quality than craftsman these days with the same warranty it might be time to switch

I have a few Kobalt tools and I can say they seem to be better quality...I have YET to have a single problem with any of them I have bought.

LowNSlowNeon

Established Member
Harbor Freight, who cares if they break after a few years of use... you can buy 20 sets of harbor freight tools or more for the cost of one snap on wrench.

Now if money wasn't an object, no doubt, snap on are very nice tools.... but when I was a mechanic, it was for a school district and I refuse to spend a years salary on some tools.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
kobalt is the best tool you can buy outside of a tool truck except for a select few things like craftsman 1/2 impacts. buy used snap on on ebay or garagejournal

:lol1:

mr2cam

Established Member
If you want quality you gotta pay, I only buy Snap On / Matco tools

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
Thanks guys for the replys.

I saw garage journal board I stayed out of the classifieds tho lol.

And I was asking the question hoping to find a decent reasonably priced american made hand tool. Guess that doesnt exist anymore. Theres no need for me to get a truck brand tool not wrenching for a living.

I couldn't find anything really different between kobalt and husky other than one is from Danaher and other is Stanley. Are they both from Taiwan?

I really liked the kobalt stuff when I was looking at them. Going swing by a HD aftet work to look at husky.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I picked up a Kobalt "Mechanic's" Tool Set a couple months ago. Quality wise, it compares to my older Craftsman pieces. I'm satisfied with it, yeah there's better, but I can't afford Strap-On's prices...

Edit: I got the set without a case as I have a tool chest already and I got like 300 pieces for the 200 piece (plus case) price.

Last edited:

steeltoe

Established Member
One of the best pieces of advice I got when I was working at Roush was when your tools and hands are how you feed yourself and your family why would you not wear gloves and buy the best tools.

My tool box is a mix of Snap-On and Craftsman(for tools I had to have and couldn't wait on the truck)

If you are buying tools for work keep all your receipts and you can claim it at the end of the year on your taxes and get some of the money.

cobra-boss

Established Member
I have had a set of Blackhawk 3/8 sockets for almost 20 years and have been very happy, my brother has been using SK for years. I will spend extra for a good fine tooth ratchet though.

Jim

BMR Tech

Proto, and don't look back.

I own 'em all, and Proto is what I grab each and every time.

Besides, they were the first company to offer a combo wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread