Any Excel gurus in here?

PC PaiN

Established Member
Working on a project for a class and I don't totally understand the hlookup function.

This is what it tells me to do

Use the HLookup function in cell C4 to display the minimum cash requirement. The function should look for the Risk Level code showing in cell C3 on the Portfolio worksheet in row 3 of the Investment Strategy worksheet. The minimum cash requirements are listed for each risk level in row 8.

Now I thought I had a handle on it but I keep getting a REF error.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
click on the cell and you will see a box appear right next to it, click on it and select "help with error" and it should give you the formula to correct your problem.

I use excel formulas everyday to figure my payroll. when ever something doesnt formulate right, i click that box and that helps.

PC PaiN

Established Member
click on the cell and you will see a box appear right next to it, click on it and select "help with error" and it should give you the formula to correct your problem.

I use excel formulas everyday to figure my payroll. when ever something doesnt formulate right, i click that box and that helps.

yea was trying that and it didn't help. I searched the text book long enough and finally found where my error was.

PC PaiN

Established Member
Another one dealing with a nested if function

If the dividend in cell G9 is greater than 0 and the current investment in cell F9 is greater than or equal to the original investment in cell E9, display the word HOLD

If the current investment in cell F9 is less than the original investment in cell E9 or the current investment is less than the original investment multiplied by 1.035 then display the word SELL

Otherwise display the word HOLD

Can't figure out how to type out this formula

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
I have written many macros with it so if you need help with writing a macro to interact with a cell then let me know. Basically, a macro is a function your write that is not built into Excel itself and expands Excel usefulness exponentially to what you can do with it. A little off the topic of your question but thought it may be useful.

PC PaiN

Established Member
I basically just have no idea how to do this nested if function as stated by the problem. I think it's the and/or in the question that is messing me up

txyaloo

Established Member
Another one dealing with a nested if function

If the dividend in cell G9 is greater than 0 and the current investment in cell F9 is greater than or equal to the original investment in cell E9, display the word HOLD

If the current investment in cell F9 is less than the original investment in cell E9 or the current investment is less than the original investment multiplied by 1.035 then display the word SELL

Otherwise display the word HOLD

Can't figure out how to type out this formula

Without having your numbers to work with, I think this should do what the question is asking.

=IF((AND(G9>0, F9>=E9)),HOLD,IF((OR(F9<E9,F9<E9*1.035)),SELL)

txyaloo

Established Member
hrm excel ain't liking the formula, says it's missing paranthesis

Try this then

=IF((AND(G9>0, F9>=E9)),HOLD),IF((OR(F9<E9,F9<E9*1.035)),SELL)

The syntax should be close. I may have dropped or added a parenthesis somewhere.

PC PaiN

Established Member
actually not bad. I finally found an example of and/or on google and you were right there man. Thanks for taking the time to help.

What's awesome is the assignment was due at 11:59, I finished at 12:30 and the system wouldn't let me submit. E-mailed it to the instructor, hopefully she takes it

Users who are viewing this thread