Any LAAD gunners here?

jliddle

Established Member
The recruiter told me today that I couldn't get the jobs I put in for. Kinda pissed me off, but I just wanna earn the title first and foremost. He gave me a couple options, the one that most fitted me was a LAAD spot.

Does anyone here have any first hand experience?

What's the training regimen?

Thanks

truefiveo

Established Member
Do not settle for any job your not interested in?
What were the reasons you were denied the prefered jobs?

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Was you GT score higher than 90? The reason I ask is that a lot of MOS's are GT score dependent. 110 or higher, you generally get what you ask for. (At least in the Army) Also, they look at the components of your ASVAB scores to try to get a general idea of your aptitude towards jobs they want fill.

Fordbaby

Established Member
My buddies a laad gunner and he said all they do is get faped out or do the occasional meu. Their battalions don't really get deployed.

jliddle

Established Member
Do not settle for any job your not interested in?
What were the reasons you were denied the prefered jobs?

My recruiting station failed to send my original SOU downrange in time. So I was given a list of available jobs from now til my 365 day DEP time is up. Which is May of 2012.

Was you GT score higher than 90? The reason I ask is that a lot of MOS's are GT score dependent. 110 or higher, you generally get what you ask for. (At least in the Army) Also, they look at the components of your ASVAB scores to try to get a general idea of your aptitude towards jobs they want fill.

My GT is 123.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
My recruiting station failed to send my original SOU downrange in time. So I was given a list of available jobs from now til my 365 day DEP time is up. Which is May of 2012.

My GT is 123.

**** that your GT score is to high to be LAAD im sorry if I offend anyone here but do something you will use you brain with. A GT of 123 how about Air Traffic Control? if you dont know what they do go to youtube and type that in. That way when you get out you can find a good job and make money instead of having very very little to offer on the outside. Any questions send me a PM I was in the Marine Corps for 10 years got out as a SSgt.:beer:

megameGT500

Established Member
Yea. A GT of 123 should get you whatever you want within the needs of the military. I would not believe your recruiter on the SOU reason. I would be talking to the senior recruiter or even just go to another branch. Your GT score is too high for what they are offering and they know it. Just let them know you know it and they might "find" another list of available jobs. You can PM me also for any questions. I am not USMC and do not know a great deal about recruitment for the Marines but I have been in the Army for 22 years and would be happy to do what I can to help.

Last edited:

jliddle

Established Member
Before I reply to your individual posts I will state my goals in the Marine Corps...

My overall goal is to be an operator in Marsoc/Recon. I had planned on serving around 2-3 years in my original MOS, then applying. That way I can gain some much needed rank, schooling, possibly deployment. I realize how "cliche" that sounds for someone new to the service to claim they want to be an operator. Ive researched what it takes to get there and believe I am qualified. Excellent fitness/intelligence, flawless health and squeeky clean record. I have absolutely no disrespect for any non-combat MOS, its just not in my interest at this time.

**** that your GT score is to high to be LAAD im sorry if I offend anyone here but do something you will use you brain with. A GT of 123 how about Air Traffic Control? if you dont know what they do go to youtube and type that in. That way when you get out you can find a good job and make money instead of having very very little to offer on the outside. Any questions send me a PM I was in the Marine Corps for 10 years got out as a SSgt.:beer:

I want to be on the ground. And I already have a skillset to use when/if I get out. Thanks for your service!

Yea. A GT of 123 should get you whatever you want within the needs of the military. I would not believe your recruiter on the SOU reason. I would be talking to the senior recruiter or even just go to another branch. Your GT score is too high for what they are offering and they know it. Just let them know you know it and they might "find" another list of available jobs. You can PM me also for any questions. I am not USMC and do not know a great deal about recruitment for the Marines but I have been in the Army for 22 years and would be happy to do what I can to help.

I will not go to another branch. The foul-up was as follows..

My SOU was supposed to be submitted around a week before my ORIGINAL senoir recruiter got reassigned to a different office. Turns out he didnt which led me to get the late job picks. All the ones I had wanted were already filled.

megameGT500

Established Member
Before I reply to your individual posts I will state my goals in the Marine Corps...

My overall goal is to be an operator in Marsoc/Recon. I had planned on serving around 2-3 years in my original MOS, then applying. That way I can gain some much needed rank, schooling, possibly deployment. I realize how "cliche" that sounds for someone new to the service to claim they want to be an operator. Ive researched what it takes to get there and believe I am qualified. Excellent fitness/intelligence, flawless health and squeeky clean record. I have absolutely no disrespect for any non-combat MOS, its just not in my interest at this time.

I want to be on the ground. And I already have a skillset to use when/if I get out. Thanks for your service!

I will not go to another branch. The foul-up was as follows..

My SOU was supposed to be submitted around a week before my ORIGINAL senoir recruiter got reassigned to a different office. Turns out he didnt which led me to get the late job picks. All the ones I had wanted were already filled.

Completely understand. Good Luck.

runsonboost

Established Member
If your goal is to be an operator, then i would just go infantry. But im guessing that was your first choice, and from what i hear those slots fill up fast. Try Security Forces, alot of their training mirrors what MarSoc is looking for in their Marines. Good Luck to you.

jliddle

Established Member
If your goal is to be an operator, then i would just go infantry. But im guessing that was your first choice, and from what i hear those slots fill up fast. Try Security Forces, alot of their training mirrors what MarSoc is looking for in their Marines. Good Luck to you.

Lol My first choice was security forces prp. Then second was infantry.

Didn't happen though.

only a gt

Established Member
Don't believe anything a recruiter tells you. I wanted to be infantry and everything was going smooth, until they got my asvab score. I had a 135 GT, and all of a sudden infantry was full, but hey whattaya know, they could put me right into intel!
I called them on the b.s. and refused to do anything until I could get infantry. This dragged on for almost 3 months while I was in the DEP, and finally he called me up and told me they had a spot. He gave me some spiel about signing this contract for B6 ground option, and if I did my senior drill instructor would make sure I ended up as infantry. :nonono::fm:
My dumbass was too excited to really read what I signed, and as I'm sure you know the B6 Ground Option I signed for had nothing to do with infantry, it was basically an open contract but limited to 6 or 7 MOSs.
I ended up as Motor T in a wing unit, and while I made the best of it, it really wasn't what I had wanted to do at all. To this day it still bothers me, and I've been out for a year now.

blingaggie

Cinderella Story
Established Member
I don’t have any real insight into the recruiting process since I am on the officer side but I can tell you plenty about any of the 72XX MOSs. I am a 7210 Air Defense Officer and work with LAAD guys on occasion. Fordbaby is correct when he said that LAAD isn’t being utilized. There is not a need for LAAD’s primary mission right now so they end up being deployed as base defense if they go as a battalion. This entails entry control points, convoy operations, etc. If you want any more detailed information shoot me a PM.

jliddle

Established Member
UPDATE

Gave my recruiters hell about not doing my paperwork in a prompt manner the first time.

Turns out my new senior recruiter is in close with some of the guys at operations. Theyre going to try to wiggle a PRP contract out of another division for me. Got my fingers crossed!

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Lol My first choice was security forces prp. Then second was infantry.

Didn't happen though.

Why not? I was in the program you speak of. They actually recruited me. 134 GT and I volunteered 03xx open contract. While at P.I. the prp screening team showed up pitched their sell. Even if you don't get it on your contract you could still get chosen by the screening team.

Same thing that happens with Recon. While we were at ITB they showed up asking anyone that wanted to try out. You do 2 back to back PFT's with some swimming to see if you qual for RIPA. At least that's how it was about 8 years ago.

Let me know if you have any questions about PRP. I highly recommend it just for the clearance.

JoeyWOT

Shitstick
Established Member
Dude, never join under an open contract, you will just fill a spot that they need filled and you will probably be miserable. If you have any questions dude hit me up with a pm and I'll be more than happy to help. 7 years Marine Corps myself

Users who are viewing this thread