Any local-ish shops widen wheels? Or where to get 20x11.5 or bigger wheels?

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
2009 gt500 with 13-14 20x9.5" gt500 rear wheels. Have purchased Michelin PS2 335x30x20 tires. Looking to get the wheels widened to somewhere between 11.5-12". Anyone know of a wheel/machine shop in Maryland, DC, or Northern VA that widens rims? Ye Olde Wheel Shop in Elkridge will- but you have to take them a 2nd set of rims and trying to find a 2nd set at a reasonable price and factoring the machining cost on top isn't a good plan. Autofab Racecars also up by Baltimore was saying there'd at least be a 10 week turnaround, really didn't sound confident about doing it... and wanted approximately $500 per rim (or more) to do it. I know of Weldcraft and Eric Vaughn have quoted between $275-350/rim-- but would prefer to not have to ship if I can keep from doing so.

Or... Where can I find a set of 4 wheels where the rears are 20x11.5 or 12" and the fronts are 19's or 20's by 9.5-10". I really am finding limited options for wide rear wheels. What few wide wheels I'm seeing the offset is such that you'd need to go with the wide body flares-- and that look isn't my thing.

What are people doing to put wide wheels on 2005 and newer rides?

I know this thread is similar to my last one. The last thread can be deleted if appropriate to do so. The last thread was looking for verification if it can be done and I've heard from enough people that it can. This thread is more geared towards actually getting it done.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

paluka21

Established Member
I also investigated a local business who could assist with widening the super snake wheels. I found one or two places who would take it on, but the biggest concern is the lack of experience from these shops. Guys like Eric Vaughn have done hundreds if not thousands of wheel widening jobs and his work is reliable. I know Weldcraft does them as well but I wasn't crazy about the two welds and a new center piece welded section (cosmetically only).
It sucks sending your wheels across country, but Eric is supposed to be the best in the business and actually did work for Shelby with their super snake wheel widening requests. To him, it's just another day on the job. Which to me is peace of mind.
Shipping the wheels is another story, but I've found a semi-reasonable way to do it. If you're interested in my story PM me and I'll fill you in.
Other than this method, I've also priced out what it would cost for custom wheels from True Forged, which can be offset by selling whatever existing wheels you have. Here is a link to their 2007-2009 gallery: http://trueforgedwheels.com/?content/pictures3/Ford/MUSTANG/GT500/2007-2009/

I could have gotten around $3000 for my Super Snakes, but in the end I liked the look of them over anything else on the market. So, I just invested the money in them.

paluka21

Established Member
Also, if you're going with a 335 tire I would recommend no less than a 12" rim to spare the sidewall bulge. When you start getting into wide wheels on these cars, every measurement and consideration needs to be made.

Users who are viewing this thread