any mountain bikers here ?

scottminot

Established Member
Been mountain biking for 23 years. Currently I ride a Rocky Mountain Element Team Scandium frame with full XTR, best mountain bike I've ever owned.
There's lots of good bikes out there. Do a lot of research and test ride some bikes to see what suites you.

Here's my ride.

1.jpg

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Where do you plan on riding something like that in Kansas?

My suggestion to you would be to go visit any and all bike shops in your area. Find out what other people are riding, where they are riding, etc.

In my area we don't have any serious downhill stuff, so having large travel bikes like you see in that video is silly. The largest travel bike is a 4" full suspension, but I ride hard tails mostly. If I'm going somewhere that a large travel bike is a good idea, I rent it. Almost all places that require a bike like that is a "destination" and has a bike shop or two that rents bikes.

Buying a bike is mostly about fit. You need to find something that is comfortable for you, so test ride as many bikes as you can, keep a note of what you like and dislike about each bike. If you start looking in any other direction first, you're not serious about actually riding it. After you've found the bikes that you like the most, then it's time to start looking at what components you want on the bike. As far as components go, buy the best that you can afford at the time, they can always be upgraded later if you decide you want more (though it's normally cheaper to buy the better comp group up front obviously).

Hope that helps...

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Depending on how extreme you want to go, there are front suspension and full suspension bikies. Full suspension is intended for really rough terrain. They're nice but if you're going to ride it on the street to they can be really slow moving. I have only ever owned Specialized and Giant mountain bikes. THey are both really great bikes. I don't have a preference I just usually went with the bike that was slightly cheaper at the time. OH and some advice: don't get a bike with the shifter that is intigrated into the handlebar grips, you'll be shifting gears accidently all the time and it's annoying.

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
Where do you plan on riding something like that in Kansas?

My suggestion to you would be to go visit any and all bike shops in your area. Find out what other people are riding, where they are riding, etc.

In my area we don't have any serious downhill stuff, so having large travel bikes like you see in that video is silly. The largest travel bike is a 4" full suspension, but I ride hard tails mostly. If I'm going somewhere that a large travel bike is a good idea, I rent it. Almost all places that require a bike like that is a "destination" and has a bike shop or two that rents bikes.

Buying a bike is mostly about fit. You need to find something that is comfortable for you, so test ride as many bikes as you can, keep a note of what you like and dislike about each bike. If you start looking in any other direction first, you're not serious about actually riding it. After you've found the bikes that you like the most, then it's time to start looking at what components you want on the bike. As far as components go, buy the best that you can afford at the time, they can always be upgraded later if you decide you want more (though it's normally cheaper to buy the better comp group up front obviously).

Hope that helps...

haha, kansas isn't all flat. i live in the s/e corner which has quite a few hills and is close to the ozarks. i just got a load of wood from my work and have access to tons more so i am planning on building a track. so large travel is not needed, ok, thanks. i plan on going to several bike shops and testing out.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
haha, kansas isn't all flat. i live in the s/e corner which has quite a few hills and is close to the ozarks. i just got a load of wood from my work and have access to tons more so i am planning on building a track. so large travel is not needed, ok, thanks. i plan on going to several bike shops and testing out.

Most people think that Iowa is all cornfield too, but that's not the case either.

Anyway....when you get it done, I expect an invite!! :thumbsup:

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
Depending on how extreme you want to go, there are front suspension and full suspension bikies. Full suspension is intended for really rough terrain. They're nice but if you're going to ride it on the street to they can be really slow moving. I have only ever owned Specialized and Giant mountain bikes. THey are both really great bikes. I don't have a preference I just usually went with the bike that was slightly cheaper at the time. OH and some advice: don't get a bike with the shifter that is intigrated into the handlebar grips, you'll be shifting gears accidently all the time and it's annoying.

i don't plan on doing a whole lot of street riding, thanks for the heads up on the grip shift.

AdamSVT

Established Member
I own a 2011 trek cobia. It is a hardtail (front suspension) and it is a great bike! There is a ton of trails here in Az and they particularly rocky. I will make sure my next bike is full suspension but I would recommend starting with a hardtail as they are cheaper and easier to work on.

bullitt1672

Established Member
I do when I find the time. I have to travel about an hour to find some nice trails. Plan on going to Brown county here in Indiana sometime soon, they say it's one of the best places around. I ride a Cannondale F7, a lot of the bike snobs would frown upon it but it hasnt let me down yet and can take some abuse. I did rent a Giant Anthem X 29er while in Pennsylvania and that bike was amazing.

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
I own a 2011 trek cobia. It is a hardtail (front suspension) and it is a great bike! There is a ton of trails here in Az and they particularly rocky. I will make sure my next bike is full suspension but I would recommend starting with a hardtail as they are cheaper and easier to work on.

I do when I find the time. I have to travel about an hour to find some nice trails. Plan on going to Brown county here in Indiana sometime soon, they say it's one of the best places around. I ride a Cannondale F7, a lot of the bike snobs would frown upon it but it hasnt let me down yet and can take some abuse. I did rent a Giant Anthem X 29er while in Pennsylvania and that bike was amazing.

thanks, i will check those bikes out.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

There have been quite a few people go down to Brown County from my area, and I have not heard one single bad review. Supposed to be some amazing trail out there!

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Steel hardtail is where it's at. smooth as butter.

I've got an old school steel Bontrager (before he sold out to trek), full xtr & raceface gear, hand built custom wheel set.

Ill take this bike over my $4000 full suspension rig 9 times out of 10.

Go to every LBS in your area and test ride every bike you can

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I have been riding for many years and started with a Fuji "Mt Fuji". It had no suspension and I sold it to a guy I worked with. Then I got a Yeti ARC, rigid tail and front suspension. A great solid lightweight aluminum bike. Now I ride a Yeti AS-R with full suspension and Fox shocks and full Shimano XTR. This bike is solid and tracks beautifully.:coolman: Here in PA there are a lot of rocky trails and the full suspension is nice.

Ride a lot of different bikes before you buy. Take your time as you decide to avoid wanting to trade up too soon.

Users who are viewing this thread