Any Questions for Jamal and the Ford Performance Engineers?

AZBOSS

Established Member
Engineers aren't going to know that.

If you asked about "Total cost of ownership" 350 vs. Mustang GT that might trigger it for them.
I'm sure the data is there, but since the cars are not meant to compete I doubt anyone at SVT cares.
Moreover, you don't buy a halo car because it's easy on the wallet in the long run.

AZBOSS

Established Member
I'd be interested to know more about the oil cooling system and how it has been engineered to deal with the heat loads encountered at sustained high-RPM use (such as on a road course).

The Boss 302 was labeled as "track ready" when it was released (and it was a helluva lot of car for the track for the money) but those that really push the cars hard on-track without aftermarket oil cooling had frequent limp mode issues.
Considering the 350's small amount of grille pass-through space for the radiator (although I am aware the 350 has a separate oil cooler), I am curious to know what factors influenced the system design for the oil cooling and how well it really works (and if the team took home any "free lessons" from the B302 user feedback).

Lemers

Established Member
If you asked about "Total cost of ownership" 350 vs. Mustang GT that might trigger it for them.
I'm sure the data is there, but since the cars are not meant to compete I doubt anyone at SVT cares.
Moreover, you don't buy a halo car because it's easy on the wallet in the long run.

Total Cost vs the GT is what I was going for.

Why wouldn't they care? Most products are built with price points in mind or you end up with a car so far out there in price like the FGT.

If Ford has the Data, somebody has put it together across the entire mustang line.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'd be interested to know more about the oil cooling system and how it has been engineered to deal with the heat loads encountered at sustained high-RPM use (such as on a road course).

The Boss 302 was labeled as "track ready" when it was released (and it was a helluva lot of car for the track for the money) but those that really push the cars hard on-track without aftermarket oil cooling had frequent limp mode issues.
Considering the 350's small amount of grille pass-through space for the radiator (although I am aware the 350 has a separate oil cooler), I am curious to know what factors influenced the system design for the oil cooling and how well it really works (and if the team took home any "free lessons" from the B302 user feedback).

Theres actually some clever math there, ill have to look it up exactly, but i first saw it when i was researching ducting my miata's radiator.

Basically the way the front of the car is ducted, the grill opening is a function of how far the opening is from the radiator, and the grill opening in most cases only needs to be like 1/3 of the actual radiator height.

Basically seen here in the "Divergent" side of the diagram- increasing pressure in front of the radiator as velocity decreases from the expansion. I need to freshen up on this topic again, as i may not have it 100%, but im fairly certain that's what is going on here.

*Disclaimer* I am an "engineer" by hobby, not trade lol i may be off here.
pressure_zpsqmasjkpm.gif

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
Total Cost vs the GT is what I was going for.

Why wouldn't they care? Most products are built with price points in mind or you end up with a car so far out there in price like the FGT.

If Ford has the Data, somebody has put it together across the entire mustang line.

Well, its basically at 50k track toy with limited production. They likely wont be driven nearly as many miles as a base GT, but the miles they do log will likely be harsher.

But when you shod a car with a $2000 set of tires, $500 rotors, $300 brake pads, etc...well its not a large concern for the engineers.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Theres actually some clever math there, ill have to look it up exactly, but i first saw it when i was researching ducting my miata's radiator.

Basically the way the front of the car is ducted, the grill opening is a function of how far the opening is from the radiator, and the grill opening in most cases only needs to be like 1/3 of the actual radiator height.

Basically seen here in the "Divergent" side of the diagram- increasing pressure in front of the radiator as velocity decreases from the expansion. I need to freshen up on this topic again, as i may not have it 100%, but im fairly certain that's what is going on here.

*Disclaimer* I am an "engineer" by hobby, not trade lol i may be off here.
pressure_zpsqmasjkpm.gif

I remember seeing something like this a while ago, bumpers and grills are designed to create a high pressure area around the opening of the grill and with the splash guard under the car to help create a low pressure behind the radiator. It creates a really efficient cooling setup with less opening because the velocity of the air passing through the radiator/coolers.

Also, didn't they run this car for 24 hours on a track and it's times never deviated more than 3%? That seems pretty consistent to me, not only for the car but for the drivers.

Voltwings

Established Member
I remember seeing something like this a while ago, bumpers and grills are designed to create a high pressure area around the opening of the grill and with the splash guard under the car to help create a low pressure behind the radiator. It creates a really efficient cooling setup with less opening because the velocity of the air passing through the radiator/coolers.

Also, didn't they run this car for 24 hours on a track and it's times never deviated more than 3%? That seems pretty consistent to me, not only for the car but for the drivers.

This exactly. Heat exchangers only work due to pressure differentials; the greater the pressure in front of, and the lower the pressure behind, the radiator the more efficient it will be. That's the real purpose for hood vents, not strictly pulling heat out, but lowering pressure post radiator - pulling the stagnant heat out is just a bonus.

Voltwings

Established Member
Any moving fluid is due to pressure differential :coolman:

The flip side being people think having an exposed radiator will cool it the most, when in actuality just having the radiator out in the open (for the sake of example, not even attached to the car, just off to the side or something) would result in worse cooling. Im not arguing, your point is 100% correct, just putting some context to my original statement.

Mystical'96

Established Member
I haven't seen any info on steering rack ratios. How quick are the racks and will the 350 have a different ratio to the 350R?

65sohc

Established Member
Well, its basically at 50k track toy with limited production. They likely wont be driven nearly as many miles as a base GT, but the miles they do log will likely be harsher.

But when you shod a car with a $2000 set of tires, $500 rotors, $300 brake pads, etc...well its not a large concern for the engineers.

Mine will be a daily driver, same as my Boss.

honus

Established Member
:thumbsup:

Same here.

...plus with all the engine braking I'll be doing on the commute I don't anticipate much in the way of rotor wear. Tires on the other hand are all part of the plan (have to be).

honus

Established Member
I don't see why not. If a part exists it can break; and will need replacing. And I think Ford will see some demand for cooling on people with the tech cars.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
The oil and differential cooler should be DIYable but the transmission on the track pack has different castings and housings for its cooler. You will need to find an aftermarket source or get a track pack/R based transmission

Backorder

Established Member
The oil and differential cooler should be DIYable but the transmission on the track pack has different castings and housings for its cooler. You will need to find an aftermarket source or get a track pack/R based transmission

Which is why I will be going with track pack lol it made my decision easy...that and the recaros.

Users who are viewing this thread