Any Shelby GT500's over or near 100,000 miles? How reliable have they been?

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
While I am on the low side of mileage request at about 35,000 Miles, I have owned my car since new and driven it in a manner that I would consider "as intended"

Here's a run down:

November 2008 - Stock

Summer 2009 - Stock, 440 RWHP, installed Steeda "Stop the Hop" Control Arms

Repairs: Broke a gear set in the rear axle at the track, stock 3.31's with a MT DR and a hard clutch drop. Warranty replaced.

Summer 2010 - Installed JLT 110mm CAI, 4 lb pulley and a tune, Made 547 RWHP on a Dynojet. Raised fuel cut to 7200 RPM, shift point at 7,000 (Yes I actually shifted there, every race).

Summer 2011 - Installed VMP Gen 1 TVS, and Afco H/E Made 662 RWHP on a Dynojet, same shift point.

Summer 2012 - Installed JLT 123mm CAI, JBA LT's and Off-road 3" exhaust, suspect OEM cats were hurting, 3.73 gears, Installed BMR Control arms and mounts, the Steeda bushings were separating. Made no additional power due to lackluster tuner.

Repairs: Replaced brake pads and rear rotors due to footbrake burnouts at the strip.

Summer 2014 - Installed 2.5" upper pulley for TVS and Lund tune, Made 742 RWHP on a Dynojet, reduced shift point to 6500.

Repairs: Ruined the OEM, non-TSB 9" dual ceramic clutch at that power level, yes it was the 1 generation "bad" clutch & flywheel combo.

Driving conditions:

Grand Touring - I drive it everywhere during the summer, from Edmonton this car has taken me to; Las Vegas/Grand Canyon (5400 miles round) Saskatoon SK (650 miles round) Mission BC for Mega Ford Weekend 2011 (1400 miles round) and numerous places in between.

Drag Racing - Have 74 recorded drag passes and the only breakage came while stock as noted above.

Road Racing - I did some road course stuff with it back in 2009 just to see the difference between my old '95 on the same course.

Street Racing - Yes.

I run either 91 Octane gasoline or 94 Octane E10, change the plugs with NGK 4177's every summer, oil changes at 5,000 miles with Motorcraft filters and Mobil 1 5W50. Aside from that feed it tires and wash as required.

Still have the 2-piece steel driveshaft, still have the factory springs, shocks, wheels, swaybars etc. Considering this is a small Blower swap and supporting mods, the car is quick enough without having to rework everything.

No Regrets here.

Joewee500

Established Member
742whp on stock internals and banging 7k 662whp. Gives me some confidence in my build. Then again I don't plan on shifting over 6500. What 1/4 times at max power level?

FordGT08

Established Member
While I am on the low side of mileage request at about 35,000 Miles, I have owned my car since new and driven it in a manner that I would consider "as intended"

Here's a run down:

November 2008 - Stock

Summer 2009 - Stock, 440 RWHP, installed Steeda "Stop the Hop" Control Arms

Repairs: Broke a gear set in the rear axle at the track, stock 3.31's with a MT DR and a hard clutch drop. Warranty replaced.

Summer 2010 - Installed JLT 110mm CAI, 4 lb pulley and a tune, Made 547 RWHP on a Dynojet. Raised fuel cut to 7200 RPM, shift point at 7,000 (Yes I actually shifted there, every race).

Summer 2011 - Installed VMP Gen 1 TVS, and Afco H/E Made 662 RWHP on a Dynojet, same shift point.

Summer 2012 - Installed JLT 123mm CAI, JBA LT's and Off-road 3" exhaust, suspect OEM cats were hurting, 3.73 gears, Installed BMR Control arms and mounts, the Steeda bushings were separating. Made no additional power due to lackluster tuner.

Repairs: Replaced brake pads and rear rotors due to footbrake burnouts at the strip.

Summer 2014 - Installed 2.5" upper pulley for TVS and Lund tune, Made 742 RWHP on a Dynojet, reduced shift point to 6500.

Repairs: Ruined the OEM, non-TSB 9" dual ceramic clutch at that power level, yes it was the 1 generation "bad" clutch & flywheel combo.

Driving conditions:

Grand Touring - I drive it everywhere during the summer, from Edmonton this car has taken me to; Las Vegas/Grand Canyon (5400 miles round) Saskatoon SK (650 miles round) Mission BC for Mega Ford Weekend 2011 (1400 miles round) and numerous places in between.

Drag Racing - Have 74 recorded drag passes and the only breakage came while stock as noted above.

Road Racing - I did some road course stuff with it back in 2009 just to see the difference between my old '95 on the same course.

Street Racing - Yes.

I run either 91 Octane gasoline or 94 Octane E10, change the plugs with NGK 4177's every summer, oil changes at 5,000 miles with Motorcraft filters and Mobil 1 5W50. Aside from that feed it tires and wash as required.

Still have the 2-piece steel driveshaft, still have the factory springs, shocks, wheels, swaybars etc. Considering this is a small Blower swap and supporting mods, the car is quick enough without having to rework everything.

No Regrets here.

Outstanding!

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
742whp on stock internals and banging 7k 662whp. Gives me some confidence in my build. Then again I don't plan on shifting over 6500. What 1/4 times at max power level?

Well I have no new drag strip numbers since the power boost, the clutch gave up on the road testing after the dyno. However my best passes were done back in Mission BC 2011, with decent DA at 1,500ft (My home track runs from 3,000 - 4,500) of 11.22 @ 130 ish MPH.

This was done with the TVS, 2.5" pulley, JLT 110mm, there was a CJ TB on there that I omitted for the sake of brevity above, 3.31 gears and stock exhaust. Tires were a set of 4 year old MT DR on Roush 18X10 Trak Pak wheels I borrowed for the event. Note there are only two gear changes, I ran through the traps at the top of 3rd. I worked out the wheel speeds on a chart and it appeared possible, so I started trying it, it made a not so quick car, a bit quicker.

Here's two angles of that pass:

Onboard, roof mount, with a Drift HD Cam:
[video=youtube_share;JRO01M4_oH0]http://youtu.be/JRO01M4_oH0[/video]

Trackside, about the 1000' mark, filed with a Sony NEX-VG10
[video=youtube_share;ejUmersO_jE]http://youtu.be/ejUmersO_jE[/video]

I have a big and little setup for this year, so once I do my clutch install in the spring, I might crack a high 10 at my home track. However I ran the 1400 mile round trip to MFW'11 in Mission, made it to the semi-finals, traveled with all of my tools, tires and kit onboard, banged off a low 11, and went home without breaking. That is my high water mark for this car's accomplishments personally.

Thanks for the interest guys, see what 2015 brings.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
My dad has 140k. Few sets of tires. Original suspension, but we are about to change some pieces. I just got him a JLT Kona Blue intake, and he changed out the supercharger. Had a SCT tune on it and a metco pulley. Now has the stock pulley and stock tune on it. Changed 4 of the fuel injectors, going to do the other 4 soon ( he just wanted to do them while the blower was apart) also has a bassni axle back. Everything else is stock. Also recently installed a set of oil press, water temp, and boost gauge autometer sport comp 2.

VenomVeins

Established Member
My dad has 140k. Few sets of tires. Original suspension, but we are about to change some pieces. I just got him a JLT Kona Blue intake, and he changed out the supercharger. Had a SCT tune on it and a metco pulley. Now has the stock pulley and stock tune on it. Changed 4 of the fuel injectors, going to do the other 4 soon ( he just wanted to do them while the blower was apart) also has a bassni axle back. Everything else is stock. Also recently installed a set of oil press, water temp, and boost gauge autometer sport comp 2.
HELL. YES.

THIS is what I was looking for. 140K is some serious mileage. Very very impressed.

It may sound crazy, and like no big deal to some, but I absolutely loved how I sit in the GT500 vs. my old Z06...and any other C5 and C6 'vette for that matter. Im 6'3", and not being able to see the front end of the car really bothered me. No such problem in the Shelby. Also getting out of the car is an absolute joy compared to my former 'vettes. It was nothing less than a PITA, and im in excellent shape.

Coupled with Darren5.0's (goosebumps watching that badass vid-although WTH was in that other 'stang if YOU ran an 11.22????!!!!) post, im damn near sold. Now I need to decide whether im going convertible or hardtop, as both look completely sinister and epic. :coolman:

I cant thank you guys enough, and look forward to joining your ranks!

Anyone else have any more input, POST IT! I want to know!

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
HELL. YES.

Coupled with Darren5.0's (goosebumps watching that badass vid-although WTH was in that other 'stang if YOU ran an 11.22????!!!!) post, im damn near sold. Now I need to decide whether im going convertible or hardtop, as both look completely sinister and epic. :coolman:

That other car had a 2.9L Whipple at the time, he is on here as "Blackmax" lots of posts with his project. Power production isn't much of a difficulty in these cars as you might have noticed.

Mongopushn

Established Member
From my experience maintenance cost is average except for synthetic oils , but with your past vehicles you have probably been there. Mod cost?? Well that's another story. It starts out slow with a pulley upgrade and now I'm not satisfied unless I have a new shipping notice and tracking number for more goodies.

melissa809

Established Member
My 2009 I traded in with 32,000 miles. No problems whatsoever. My 2012 had 23,000 miles and I was getting a check engine light, but I had had a supercharger swap done and who knows. It took a year for the cel to come on, so I don't know.

On a side note, I bought a 2003 GT premium brand new. It was a 5 speed vert. Anyways, I junked it at 115,000 miles and the ORIGINAL clutch. The engine was fine...I did get a check engine light every so often but I had the original spark plugs in!!!!! hahaha

Speedboosted

Established Member
That other car had a 2.9L Whipple at the time, he is on here as "Blackmax" lots of posts with his project. Power production isn't much of a difficulty in these cars as you might have noticed.

I was just about to ask if you were running against Joel! Pretty cool to hear that whine trackside.

Users who are viewing this thread