Any vinyl record gurus out the there ?

blue 07

Established Member
I have some old albums I've been keeping for a while and I'm sure they are worth some money and was looking to find their value. Anyone had any luck with someone they know in the biz or had records appraised before? I have a mint condition Japanese Vinyl Beatles Abbey Road played once, all Japanese labeling is on it etc. Also 2 Led Zeppelin albums, German imports master recordings also mint, played only once. Let me know if anyone has a lead or two. TY

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Check out discogs.com. You may need to register, but there's a database where you can plug in your records' matrix numbers and it gives you results of what's currently available on the used market. That'll give you an idea of value.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Any vinyl record gurus out the there ?

main-qimg-7384d0b0a232d449911fed8bb81ae45f.jpg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm a huge vinyl record collector.
Most people are surprised that their old 70s records aren't worth squat though. Some are, but most arent. Those few that you mention though could be worth a few, depending on your "mint" grading. For an example, I have about 1400 records and I have ZERO of them graded at Mint. Most of my stuff is NM though (Near Mint). Even sealed records aren't mint. There's always a small fold, seam split etc somewhere.
Does the Japanese Abbey Road still have the OBI?

I can certainly refer you to a fantastic website.
Discogs.com
Put the catalog number in the search and you should be able to narrow down your search. You'll see what I mean when you use it.

Or, if there's not too many, post some pics.
Records are graded and us vinyl people are VERY particular on condition.

PM me if you think you may want to sell some.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Check out discogs.com. You may need to register, but there's a database where you can plug in your records' matrix numbers and it gives you results of what's currently available on the used market. That'll give you an idea of value.

Yes and no. There are often many different pressings or even masters that will share the same catalog #. This is especially so for 60s-80s records when vinyl was king.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've got around 50 vinyls from the '60s (all purchased new), and don't expect they're worth much. I haven't played any of them in decades. Haven't had a turntable in decades.

blue 07

Established Member
Most people are surprised that their old 70s records aren't worth squat though. Some are, but most arent. Those few that you mention though could be worth a few, depending on your "mint" grading. For an example, I have about 1400 records and I have ZERO of them graded at Mint. Most of my stuff is NM though (Near Mint). Even sealed records aren't mint. There's always a small fold, seam split etc somewhere.

I can certainly refer you to a fantastic website.
Discogs.com
Put the catalog number in the search and you should be able to narrow down your search. You'll see what I mean when you use it.

Or, if there's not too many, post some pics.
Records are graded and us vinyl people are VERY particular on condition.

PM me if you think you may want to sell some.
Long story short, I used to work at a audio store and we had a record deal with two different record stores where we would swap out 30 band new records once a month so we could have perfect sounding albums to demo different speakers for the customers. That being said, we would take the brand new albums out of the jacket and record them on our high end tape decks (Aiwa or similar) using our own instore turntables and cartridges (usually Thorens tables and Micro Acoustic cartridges) before using them for demo. These particular albums were my personal ones I bought back in 1980/81, spun them once for recording purposes and haven't played them since. I have so many metal tapes, some actual real metal casing ones by Maxell and TDK, that to this day sound perfect.
Tried uploading some pics for you on this forum and as usual they are to big and wont and wont allow me to upload them. I can shoot them to you by email if you want to see the pics.

achamb7

Established Member
Recommend me a turntable with decent sound (built in amp/preamp) that won’t break the bank. My HD HTS does not have a phono input.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I’m a huge vinyl collector. I don’t know how many LPs & 45s I currently have as I’m constantly buying and selling. My guess is probably close to 10,000. Discogs is the place to go to research your collection.

Last edited:

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

Being involved in a few hobbies in which grade(s) can push something over the limit or downgrade it into swill, many novices are overly optimistic and over grade what they believe they have. Some believe a seal is the indicator of a mint item and when a professional grades the item it is grades lower causing disbelief.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Being involved in a few hobbies in which grade(s) can push something over the limit or downgrade it into swill, many novices are overly optimistic and over grade what they believe they have. Some believe a seal is the indicator of a mint item and when a professional grades the item it is grades lower causing disbelief.

I have 10s of sealed records. I have zero "Mint". I never grade that high. "Near Mint" is a high as I go.
After that it does down to
VG+
VG
VG-
G
P

Users who are viewing this thread