Any Warrant Officers (153A) in the house?

HamMach1

Established Member
Currently USAF looking to make the switch to Army WO with the intention of flying. Would love to pilot one of the baddest birds in all the land -- the Apache. Any advice? I am looking at the United States Army Warrant Officer Recruiting site, to help piece together a package.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
ArmyReenlistment.com has all the information you need, they have a complete packet list. Im looking to do the same, that is one bad mofo! Make sure your ASVAB GT score is a 110 or more. There is no study material for the SIFT(Selective Instrumentation for Flight Training) test(replace the AFAST in 2013). The AFAST study guide is still the best study guide for the test. Make damn sure you study the hell out of it, you have 2 chances to take the SIFT test, if you fail the first time, gotta wait 3 months to retake it, if still a no go, thats it. Brush up on basic mathematics, geometry, algebra as well, ive read thats what gets most people.

apache driver

Established Member
ArmyReenlistment.com has all the information you need, they have a complete packet list. Im looking to do the same, that is one bad mofo! Make sure your ASVAB GT score is a 110 or more. There is no study material for the SIFT(Selective Instrumentation for Flight Training) test(replace the AFAST in 2013). The AFAST study guide is still the best study guide for the test. Make damn sure you study the hell out of it, you have 2 chances to take the SIFT test, if you fail the first time, gotta wait 3 months to retake it, if still a no go, thats it. Brush up on basic mathematics, geometry, algebra as well, ive read thats what gets most people.

Sound advice. I would add start working on your flight physical ASAP. Good luck to both of you. I'm an active duty CW4, so if you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
Im currently tryin to put in for 150U but finding a 150U for a LOR is nearly impossible :shrug: Anyone want to help a with a LOR? lol good luck though! even if you dont get ah 64 i hear the 47s are the best to fly

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Im currently tryin to put in for 150U but finding a 150U for a LOR is nearly impossible :shrug: Anyone want to help a with a LOR? lol good luck though! even if you dont get ah 64 i hear the 47s are the best to fly

154C (CH-47D pilot) here, and I couldn't agree more! It all depends if you are active duty or guard on what you fly, or what you have to do to make sure you fly what you want to fly.

A 150U LOR isn't required unless you're getting your LOR from a warrant. Your LOR can come from your current company/battalion commander.

SOVACobra03

Established Member
154C (CH-47D pilot) here, and I couldn't agree more! It all depends if you are active duty or guard on what you fly, or what you have to do to make sure you fly what you want to fly.

A 150U LOR isn't required unless you're getting your LOR from a warrant. Your LOR can come from your current company/battalion commander.
I have to have 3 LORS total. company, battalion and a CW3 or above. pretty sure thats how I read it. please correct me if im wrong cause the CW3 part is whats giving me issues.

SOVACobra03

Established Member
Minimum prerequisites:

Be a SGT (E5) or above.
Be an Advanced Leadership Course (ALC) graduate.
Must be a High School Graduate (or GED equivalent) US Citizen with an GT Score minimum of 110 and have less than 12 years Active Federal Service.
Hold PMOS 15E or 15W.
Have at least one year of experience as a section chief or have supervisory experience as defined in DA Pam 611-21. Supervisory experience must be documented in NCOERs.
Have a Secret Clearance. Applicants for MOS 150U who do not possess a Secret Clearance must submit a request for a Secret Clearance through their local security office prior to submitting an application. A verification memorandum from the security office stating the request has been submitted and the date it was submitted must be part of the packet.
Enclose a written recommendation from a Senior Warrant Officer (CW3 and above preferred) from within the applicant's organization who holds the UAS WOMOS. In organizations where no SWO in the correct MOS is available, a letter of recommendation from any senior WO can be substituted.

SOVACobra03

Established Member
I was just citing info from the Usarec site (http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/download/Sample_Packet_MAY_2014.pdf) although each MOS does have other prerequisites. If you meet the other requirements, why are you not able to get a LOR? The way I read the Prereq's, you are only required to have one LOR, although it does state that it must be a senior warrant.
Honestly I don't know any CW3s. There is plenty of cw2s that I could ask but that doesn't help. Have to remember sir that I'm in a BCT not a CAB. I know there is tons of senior warrants running around cabs but they are pretty rare in the line units

apache driver

Established Member
Go to 1-504th or 4-504th avn regt. HQ's and ask to see the regimental/battalion CWOB or SP about a letter of recommendation for flight school. You should expect to be interviewed by the CWOB/SP before given a LOR.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
Check here for some god info and LOTS of others who have gone the WO helo pilot route. Pletny of current pilots, stats of people that have been selected, and current info in Army rotary wing aviation in general.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/forum/32-general-military-helicopter-discussions/

I have my rotorcraft private and instrument ratings, and am just a few hours shy of being ready for my commercial check ride with a DPE. If I weren't 32 going on 33 I'd apply, but the odds are stacked against me since waivers are few and far between with the cutbacks in the pilot pool.

Last edited:

TaraFirma

Established Member
Go to 1-504th or 4-504th avn regt. HQ's and ask to see the regimental/battalion CWOB or SP about a letter of recommendation for flight school. You should expect to be interviewed by the CWOB/SP before given a LOR.

This is the best advise here from your LOR. I'm a CW3 153M (M model Blackhawk) and to be perfectly honest, a LOR from a CW3 doesn't really have much weight. The CWOB will be a W4 or 5 that will have more consideration by board members.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
This is the best advise here from your LOR. I'm a CW3 153M (M model Blackhawk) and to be perfectly honest, a LOR from a CW3 doesn't really have much weight. The CWOB will be a W4 or 5 that will have more consideration by board members.

I second this. If all else fails, I've got a few guys you can call. I'm a CW3 now, soon to be at Rucker flying Mi-17's so I have a few contacts in good places. Expect to have your shit together because these guys won't put their name on just any Joe, regardless of who you talk to.

Kawi750

SVT
Established Member
I'm an active duty Army E-4 also on the same path trying to take the flight warrant route. I'm currently working to complete my packet and hopefully drop it by this summer. I was able to get PRK surgery last september and now have 20/20 vision. I just took and passed the SIFT today. Flight Physical is next on the list along with LOR's. I'm fortunate enough to have a few avaition units just up the road and the pilots I've talked to thus far are more than willing to help someone who shows motivation.

evolve

Established Member
I have a very good friend that did that program. He was in the USMC and now he is a W1. Not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread