Anybody else been eyeballing the whipple sale at Lethal?

samshady

Established Member
Anybody been thinking about getting a VMP blower now being tempted to buy a whipple?
Screenshot_20191120-100935_Facebook.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, I saw it as soon as it was posted... and since I was planning on ordering a Whipple 2.9 Gen 4 on Black Friday, it was a "no-brainer" and I pulled the trigger.

I currently have a Whipple 2.9 Gen 2 installed with a JDM tune, and I have been very pleased with the appearance, fitment, and performance over the years. There has been substantial improvement in supercharger efficiency in both TVS and Twin Screw offerings in recent years, and since I plan to keep my car for the long term, I chose to capitalize on some efficiency to moderately increase performance on pump gas. I have been closely following the releases of blower upgrades for our platform for years, and (in my opinion) up until this point, no blower upgrade was enough of a performance gain in my application to justify the expense.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice.. go get em guys!

There are times i miss that immediate torque blast of my GT500.

LethalBlake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
All the 2.9 Crushers for the Cobra are gone! Let us get you GT500 guys set up! If anyone is also interested a VMP set up shoot me a message we will have some deals on head units/kits shortly.

at=100&_nc_ohc=4aka5rcgC3UAQlIzfuLNbYA8672aOjQ0a1TkNmhN92CodEpBcKct_PLBA&_nc_ht=scontent.fmia1-2.jpg

rwleonard

Established Member
My 2.9L G4 arrived yesterday. I am actually hoping that the Whipple will be a little "softer" down low, to make it a little more forgiving on corner exit.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I am actually hoping that the Whipple will be a little "softer" down low, to make it a little more forgiving on corner exit.

With a 3.0" pulley, its gonna hit pretty hard down low. For the road course, you might consider a 3.125" or 3.25" pulley to soften it up (still plenty of power). My Gen 2 with 3.00" pulley was smooth on the track with some heat in the tires... I'm adding at least 2#'s of boost now with the same size pulley and blower rpm... gonna be a riot! I am ordering a 3.125" spare pulley just in case I need to tone it down.

rwleonard

Established Member
Cool, thanks. According to the invoice, this kit came with a 3.25" pulley, so maybe this will work out the way I am hoping.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Kinda debAting a 3.4 Whipple instead of a VMP 3R but have heard better reviews for the 3R for street.......but at that price pretty hard to pass up

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Price kinda goes by the wayside after you spend additional money to make the 3.4 fit
For the street, tvs technology

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
Kinda debAting a 3.4 Whipple instead of a VMP 3R but have heard better reviews for the 3R for street.......but at that price pretty hard to pass up

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Well the 3R has made 1200+ and the 3.4 RF has not to my knowledge.

weider1717

Established Member
Just ordered mine was torn between Gen 4 whipple or 2R went with the whipple solely because I know I'll be happy with the performance of either and the whipple looks better (to me).

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Removed my Whipple 2.9 Gen 2 and installed my new Gen 4 over the weekend. Test drove the car today but stayed out of boost mostly due to cold temps, and I want my Tuner to check fueling on the dyno in early Spring before I go full send on the street. Two install tips for others installing their new Whipple:

1. Regardless of model year, wrap everything behind the blower near the EGR tube in protective heat wrap/shielding. The wire loom around my main engine harness was melted, thankfully no burnt wires. I ordered and installed appropriate sized DEI Heat Shroud for my application while the blower was removed. Clearance check bypass valve to firewall and wire harness before permanently installing the blower.

2. Torque supercharger pulley bolts to 119 in/lbs, Loctite not required. 3.0" pulley came pre-installed on my Gen 2, but not on my Gen 4.

Gen 4 Whipple.jpg

DEI Heat Shroud.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread