Anybody have experience with Lumber Liquidators?

Teal Terminator

Established Member
My wife and I are shopping for hardwood floors (solid or engineered most likely) and we have found an option at LL that we really like but after some reading around online (damn internet, lol) I'm now slightly concerned about the overall quality of much of what LL sells. Just hoping to find a few folks on here that might have used them in the last 10 years and had good results.

If you did, can you tell me what kind of hardwoods you purchased and the manufacturer of those floors if you remember. I suppose the same holds true if you had a shitty experience too.

Thanks for any input.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
we have used them a couple of times. check the rep of the installer who will be doing the work. it is more important than lumber liquiators

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
60 Minutes did a story on them a few month back about them having formaldehyde levels far beyond the legal limits in many of their products. I suggest sticking to US made flooring.

oldmodman

Established Member
I got a few boxes of bamboo flooring about ten years ago.

A friend helped install them in house I was flipping.

It looked quite nice on the last time I ever had to walk into the house as it was being sold.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
60 Minutes did a story on them a few month back about them having formaldehyde levels far beyond the legal limits in many of their products. I suggest sticking to US made flooring.

Probably some green**** retard trying to push an agenda. There's a huge movement for NAUF (no added urea formaldehyde) in that industry and it's a big ****ing scam to make everyone extra money on the expense of the end user. NAUF materials cost more and serve little purpose other than to make the ignorant feel good about themselves. Like the smug prius owners episode of South Park.

For what it's worth I worked as a pm for a cabinet shop for 3-4 yes.so glad I don't have to deal with green**** terminology and ridiculous standards like LEED, NAU, etc.

4a7191a

Established Member
I ran some of their flooring in my house. Its the same as the stuff at home depot from what I could tell.
Went in ok and still looks good.
I ran a commercial line that had the padding already on the backside. Made life much raised to install.

Price wise ,I caught some flooring on sale and it was a really good deal.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
We did the downstairs of our old house with engineered hardwood from Lumber Liquidators. It was called Lake Tana Birch with a hand scraped finish manufactured by, I think, Mayflower. It was beautiful. It looks black in the pix on their site, but it's not. It's a deep, deep brown. Anyway, we only got to enjoy it for a few months before we bought our current house. Never had any problems with it in that time, and I enjoyed looking at it everyday. It held up very well to dogs walking on it.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
OP, LL has a great product. I would buy from them.

Not many, only one. It was specifically their Chinese laminate flooring only which is not on shelves now, they still offer U.S. laminate and Austrian laminate, aside from the real hardwood offerings. The way the 60 minutes test was performed was incorrect in my opinion and in the mass independent testing done so far in thousands of homes has show less than 3% to test above the World Health Organization standards.

Lowes got hit for it too but no one heard about it. There was a Wall Street Hedge fund with a large short position on LL stock that orchestrated that 60 minutes segment.

ssssnake

Established Member
I think 60 Minutes was digging for a story....

Lumber Liquidators issued a strong rebuttal to the “60 Minutes” report as the stock resumed trading. It accused the program of using an “improper test method” that isn’t included in California’s regulations.

The Toano, Va.-based retail chain provided the show with test results, and its chairman and founder, Tom Sullivan, explained the differences between those tests and the ones performed by “60 Minutes.” However, those comments weren’t included in the report, Lumber Liquidators said.

The company added that it has documentation to support each step of its production process.

“We stand by every single plank of wood and laminate we sell all around the country and will continue to deliver the best product at the best price to our growing base of valued customers,” Lumber Liquidators said in a statement.

Sullivan also refuted the claims directly on “60 Minutes,” telling the program that it will never sell unsafe products. He added that Lumber Liquidators aims to offer low prices through high volume and by limiting overhead costs, not by "skimping on anything.”

They will also come out and test your level in your flooring.

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
Few months back we shopped at lowes,LL & Home Depot ,a lot of the flooring wasn't in stock and you would have to order it,Home Depot had what I wanted in stock so I went with them

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Few months back we shopped at lowes,LL & Home Depot ,a lot of the flooring wasn't in stock and you would have to order it,Home Depot had what I wanted in stock so I went with them

yeah we are running into that now with lowes and LL. Pretty much everyone one we pointed at and liked was 2 weeks to order...few days to get everyone out to install and work around our schedule etc..almost 3-4 weeks just to have less than 1000sq ft of floor done. Kinda crazy.

edit...

but...its hard to beat the 10% off coupon for new home buyers and the 10% off the are offering right now with opening a card. While its not a true 20% those 10%s together really add up quickly. I did this a few years ago for a granite counter top and saved A LOT of money.

Last edited:

Lundy37

lundy
Established Member
yeah we are running into that now with lowes and LL. Pretty much everyone one we pointed at and liked was 2 weeks to order...few days to get everyone out to install and work around our schedule etc..almost 3-4 weeks just to have less than 1000sq ft of floor done. Kinda crazy.

edit...

but...its hard to beat the 10% off coupon for new home buyers and the 10% off the are offering right now with opening a card. While its not a true 20% those 10%s together really add up quickly. I did this a few years ago for a granite counter top and saved A LOT of money.

the 10% off is always nice, for sure

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Thanks for the input fellas. We decided to bite the bullet and ordered some flooring from LL yesterday. We really like the way it looks so we're crossing our fingers that it holds up. Ended up with some engineered 3/8" x 5" Golden Teak Acacia with a hand-scraped finish manufactured by Virginia Mill Works. It just went on sale yesterday, which we knew was coming per a LL employee last week, so we decided it was hard to pass up a floor we really liked at $2.99/sqft.

Users who are viewing this thread