Anybody remember an article about putting Shelby take off brakes in a Lightning?

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
This had to be 5-6 years back I think it was in one of the Ford performance magazines, it was an article showing that a brake improvement could be made using Shelby take offs. Apparently Shelby owners upgrade to Brembo, or other similar brands, and sell off their brakes at reasonable prices.

Any help pinpointing that article would be appreciated. Just want to know I'm not cracking up.

Mik

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You generally just need a bracket to mount different calipers. I'm not sure if anyone makes an appropriate bracket for the Shelby Brembo calipers though.

OldTimer

An Old Drag Racer
Established Member
You generally just need a bracket to mount different calipers. I'm not sure if anyone makes an appropriate bracket for the Shelby Brembo calipers though.

Actually, IIRC the take-offs might not might not have been Brembo although I don't profess to know for sure what brand of brakes came standard on the Shelby's, but the Shelby owner(s) were upgrading to a much better caliper. So the take offs, whatever their origin were far cheaper than Wilwoods or Brembos for the Lightning owners. Wish there was a way to search for that article but Google doesn't work. Is it possible that some GT500s were built by Ford/SVT and the brakes were on those era cars?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread