Anybody using a Deltran Battery Tender on their Terminator?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Going to order a Deltran Battery like one of these as my car sits for some time to time:
DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER PLUS CHARGER/MAINTAINER 12 VOLT | eBay

Do any of you all use the quick disconnect cable that allows you to plug it up and disconnect it with the hood closed. If so, where did you run the cable?
Or are most people just running the alligator clamps
Just curious...appreciate the input

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I keep a battery tender on mine all the time because its rarely driven. Been out twice so far this year for a total of less than 50 miles. I personally just use the alligator clamps. Easy on, easy off. I have used the quick connect setup before but that was on a motorcycle. Very handy because battery was under the seat but I don't see an advantage to using them on a car. I'm sure somebody will come in and tell me how wrong I am so do what you want.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I bought the cheapo battery tender at harbor freight last year and it works great.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I run the battery tender on all my cars. I use the quick disconnect on my 2003 Roush. I run the cable straight out from under my hood and in between the headlight and sit the battery tender on the floor. I use the clamps on the Cobra. I actually sit the battery tender in the engine bay near my CAI on the Cobra. I then run the power cord out the bottom of the engine bay and plug it up.

When I’m ready to run the car I unplug it, disconnect the clamps, pull the battery tender out of the engine bay and close the hood and she is ready to run. It is one of the best investments I have ever made. I have had my Roush since Nov of 2002 and I'm still using the original battery. Great product IMO.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I don't have that brand, but mine has an adapter that you can put a power point/cigar lighter end on it and just leave the window down a crack (in the garage) and plug it into one of the power points.

oldmodman

Established Member
That is the exact model that I have.

As a matter of fact I have six of them. Years ago I found an amazing deal on E-bay. Someone was selling a case of six and I won the auction. $156.00 for six of them plus $12.00 shipping. And they are all still working perfectly. And two of them have been outdoor for the entire time.

ripnesscobra

Established Member
I use that exact model on my Cobra. I hook it up every time I park it. I use the quick connector. I have the ring terminals bolted directly to my battery terminals. I have the quick connector positioned right in front of my battery so I just pop my hood to connect it when I park it. I didn't want to be able to see the quick connector from the exterior of the car.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Great input fellas!
Just need to find one for a good deal. I want to be able to run the quick connector perhaps near the foglight so I don't always have to pop the hood to hook it up. Although if the car sits a lot than I usually just keep the hood up.
Thanks again guys

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I don't have that brand, but mine has an adapter that you can put a power point/cigar lighter end on it and just leave the window down a crack (in the garage) and plug it into one of the power points.

I forgot to mention that because of the trunk mount battery, hooking up a charger is a bit more problematic than with the battery in the stock position.

That's why I trickle charge it through the power point.:beer:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Buy a Schumacher at Wally World in the $20 range that is AGM compatable, been using it for years on both lead acid and LiPO batteries in my Cobra. You can also chanage the amp range and use on motorcycles, yard equip. etc.

baldtaco

Established Member
Buy a Schumacher at Wally World in the $20 range that is AGM compatable, been using it for years on both lead acid and LiPO batteries in my Cobra. You can also chanage the amp range and use on motorcycles, yard equip. etc.
I used the Schumacher one and the battery tender on two different cars but replaced them about 6 months ago with CTEK Multi US 7002 and its pretty awesome. The schumacher I think may have ruined one of my yellowtops but i'm not positive.

99 BIG RED

Established Member
I use the quick connect on my lightning all the time because I don't drive it that much. I just put the tender in the engine bay and close the hood slightly.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Guys,
Going to order a Deltran Battery like one of these as my car sits for some time to time:
DELTRAN BATTERY TENDER PLUS CHARGER/MAINTAINER 12 VOLT | eBay

Do any of you all use the quick disconnect cable that allows you to plug it up and disconnect it with the hood closed. If so, where did you run the cable?
Or are most people just running the alligator clamps
Just curious...appreciate the input

I use the Battery MINDER brand, but basically the same thing. I drive mine daily, but my commute is very short so the battery doesn't get much exercise, so to speak. The Battery Minder has a float charge / trickle charge mode that is supposed to help remove the buildup on the battery plates, so I went with that one.

I plug mine in over the weekend every few weeks, just to keep it maintained.

I use the quick disconnect cable and have the plug end coming out over the drivers headlight. When its not in use I tuck it up between the hood and the top of the headlight. Sometimes it creeps back out, and sometimes I have to use needle nose pliers to fish it out to plug it in. So not the greatest arrangement.

Lately since I'm not charging it very often, I just pop the hood to charge it. When I'm done I drop the plug down behind the headlight.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
CTek for all my batterys works great. I had a trans am on it for 3 years strait that was in storage and it cranked up with out missing a beat just like it had been daily driven the whole time.

GodStang

Established Member
Yep I have one. It is a must since I only have put about 400 miles on it in the past 3 years.

RichM1983

Established Member
I bought the cheapo battery tender at harbor freight last year and it works great.

You know thats funny. Is yours the type that plugs into a wall and looks like a computer cord kinda? With small clips for attaching to the battery? I put it on a well charged battery and it drained it lol. :shrug:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Well guys I bought the 12V 1.25 Deltran Tender Plus as in the above link.
I hope that's the correct one that I need.
Picked it up for $41.95 shipped

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
That is the model I have!!& my original battery is still going strong!I extended the leads & have the pigtale zip tided to the heat exchanger bracket.I just plug in when i get home,no opening the hood!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
That is the model I have!!& my original battery is still going strong!I extended the leads & have the pigtale zip tided to the heat exchanger bracket.I just plug in when i get home,no opening the hood!

Excellent idea...what I wanted to hear!:rockon:

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Well guys I bought the 12V 1.25 Deltran Tender Plus as in the above link.
I hope that's the correct one that I need.
Picked it up for $41.95 shipped

Have used the Jr sense the Cobra was new. Factory battery has never failed. Replaced it this year for pease of mind. I think they are only designed for wet batteries, not gel or dry. Good price.

Users who are viewing this thread