Anybody with 8.8 build rear ends come in

mustangmike01

Established Member
Hey guys mods and power are in my sign. I have a 8.8 solid rear with moser 31 spline axles and a auburn pro carrier. It was leaking some diff fluid, a had a little problem with something hitting the rear cover. Anyway. I was checking it out and was not happy with the amount of play in the rear already!! The rear has about 3k on it. So no drag tires or strip use. I was told this rear was good for 700hp plus, but it seems not to be. I was wondering what you guys are running and dose it last and hold up to big power!!!

I want to get a vmp sc and they sell corn (e85) up the road from me!! So I know power wise it will be over 700rwhp. thanks

As for the play, with a dial indicator on the yoke there is .095 of rotation before the tires move. with the cover off there is .018 back lash on the ring and pinion witch is normal I guess. So there is .077 of space in the axle and side gear splines which is not good.

I was using the stock oem rear end for 40k with the power i'm making before it finally let go. "01 gt rear" So I'm really pissed about this right now!!!

As for the built rear, I had a shop build the rear. I told them, I want it to hold up to 700hp and qu and slicks, min. So they said ok and gave me what I have.

thanks

lilmarauder

Established Member
For comparison my 03 cobra has an 8.8. Moser 31 spline axles, 03-04 cobra diff, frpp 3.73, welded tubes. I run 325 hoosiers. Car makes 700/600 no problems as of yet.

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I don't have mine done but I went with strange axles I've been told the splines are tighter in the dif then mosers

MG0h3

Established Member
Definitely a little loose on the backlash.

Id suggest buying a rear diff bearing puller kit. When I was a tech I had access to the tools and but when I left the industry I had to pay someone else to do it. Lame.

Finally bought the bearing removal tool for 400 bones and life is good.

One you get that you can probably just add a shim but having a rebuild kit with bearings and crush sleeve would be a good idea in case you have to move the pinion (not likely)

Last edited:

beaterbike

Established Member
I know this is old but set back lash at .008 to .010 . you don't have to change the pinion shim unless depth is off which it shouldn't be unless it was set up wrong in the first place . Do not use yoke rotation measurements they are irrelevant .

Users who are viewing this thread